Great Stirrup Cay, last week

Giantfan13

Can this walk be done along the beach? Or does it get too rocky or anything in order to not be able to follow the beach down to the lagoon area?

You cannot really walk the beach to the lagoon the way they constructed new walls and walkways, and it is very rocky.

To answers someone's earlier food question the smaller cabanas are closer to the lagoon than than the large ones and there is a second BBQ set up close to the lagoon and small cabanas that has the exact same food as he larger food area. Also a bar and restrooms so it is very convenient. Just a long walk from the man area and hippo slide if you intend to use that.

For those who have been recently, what are the advantages/disadvantages to the small and large cabanas? Assuming that you are traveling as a group of 4 adults and a child, which would you pick? Why?

I know that the small cabanas are $50 or so less expensive than the large ones, but otherwise come with the same amenities. I am tempted to reserve a small one rather than a large one, but would love the input from people who have seen both and are familiar with their respective locations.

• 3 weeks later...

We were traveling with another family and are sharing a large cabana. I understand there is a maximum number of ten people allowed. Now we have another family coming with us. How close are regular sun chairs to the large cabanas?

Thanks for the info and the link. I'll let my daughter know about it since she is the one wanting to do the stingrays. I wonder if it's the same that NCL has listed on their website? The snorkeling pictures looked awesome, but the "party boat"....well, not really what I would be interested in with a young child. :( My daughter will also have a young child (and the only reason that she wants to do the stingrays-because she has done them in Grand Cayman, but didn't have my grandson with her at the time, so he has never done them). So, even though it looks like an awesome tour, I'm kinda hoping this is not what NCL is offering because of the drinking and partying. Of course drinking is fine, but in the pictures I see a "little more" than just having your normal drink. ;)

FYI - the NCL excursion page says this about this excursion:

Note: Participants must be at least 18 years of age. Guests between the ages of 18 to 20 may consume beer and wine, be 21 and above to consume spirits. Wear your bathing suit and bring a towel, sunscreen and cash for extra drinks

I missed the island last time we cruised out of NYC - all these pictures and talk of the the lagoon have made me super excited. I'm not much for crowds and I figured it would just be a mob scene so I wasn't too keen on it before. :)

FYI - the NCL excursion page says this about this excursion:

Note: Participants must be at least 18 years of age. Guests between the ages of 18 to 20 may consume beer and wine, be 21 and above to consume spirits. Wear your bathing suit and bring a towel, sunscreen and cash for extra drinks

I missed the island last time we cruised out of NYC - all these pictures and talk of the the lagoon have made me super excited. I'm not much for crowds and I figured it would just be a mob scene so I wasn't too keen on it before. :)

Hmm, I'm really not sure which you are referring to? The stingray excursion or the party boat? Both of which say the pricing for children and adults and I can book either on my account. :confused: (Of course as I said before, we are not really interested in the party boat. My daughter just wants to take her son to do the stingrays since he has never done them before). :)

Hmm, I'm really not sure which you are referring to? The stingray excursion or the party boat? Both of which say the pricing for children and adults and I can book either on my account. :confused: (Of course as I said before, we are not really interested in the party boat. My daughter just wants to take her son to do the stingrays since he has never done them before). :)

Sorry Mitsugirly - that post was the product of an extra large coffee two hours before bedtime, which resulted in me looking like this until about 1 am —> :eek:. :) Yes, it's the snorkelling and party boat that's limited to 18 and older. It's funny though - it does show a child price. For some reason I thought you were considering both this excursion and the sting ray excursion.

LOL, no worries. I had just got off work myself and it was very very late so I thought maybe I was misunderstanding.

I'm personally not planning on doing any of them. We will be swimming with the sharks and the rays in Belize the week before and we have done the stingray excursion twice in Grand Cayman. My daughter is the one wanting to swim with the rays at GSC because my grandson has never done it before. The whole party boat excursion they have is out of the question no matter what. They intend on spending the day with us at GSC and just going off for whatever time it takes to the the ray swim. :)

Glad we figured that out mitsugirly. :)

I've been trying to find out about the big floaters too. I've read that they cost around $25 for the day and you actually get priority boarding on the tender because you get a ticket the same as you would if you booked a shore excursion. Some of the things I read were old and could be outdated. Would like someone who actually knows to confirm this. :)

Glad we figured that out mitsugirly. :)

I've been trying to find out about the big floaters too. I've read that they cost around $25 for the day and you actually get priority boarding on the tender because you get a ticket the same as you would if you booked a shore excursion. Some of the things I read were old and could be outdated. Would like someone who actually knows to confirm this. :)

So I guess that means that you would have to purchase it ahead of time while on the ship? I know when we were there last, they had them for rent after we got off the ship and my daughter and her bf was stalling on getting one and when they finally decided to get one, they were all gone. :(

I did look at NCL's website and they don't mention them or give you an option to rent them on there prior.

I saw a picture of a sheet that looked like it was from the excursion desk because it listed all the shore excursions for the three ports of call with prices and a column to add up. I'll see if I can find it again.

I saw a picture of a sheet that looked like it was from the excursion desk because it listed all the shore excursions for the three ports of call with prices and a column to add up. I'll see if I can find it again.

Awesome. Thanks. I think I'll go back and see if I can find anything in my previous review of GSC. I might have the pricing in there...of course it might not be updated since it was about 2 years ago...I think. :confused:

Update...ok my GSC review was unhelpful. I must have went there before I started doing my "full" reviews and there was no mention of it. Sigh

Edited by mitsugirly

All I have found online so far...

Dive Hut

snorkelwoman-small.jpg Need to rent some water toys? Then head directly to the Dive Hut, located near the Hippo Water Slide. The rental fee is charged to your Stateroom Key Card. Here you can rent:

• Snorkeling Gear, including a snorkel, mask. fins and snorkel vest. The gear is rented for the entire day; instruction is included in the price.
  • Floating Mats that allow you to mellow out in the water, bobbing with the waves. The rental fee gets you a floating mat for the entire day.
  • Large, sturdy circular blue Rafts. Fun for kids and adults alike, they're a great beach toy.

A review on TA said: The rent was hefty - $25 per day

Edited by mitsugirly

I looked and looked and looked and can't find it again. =\ Do they even still give out the paper shore excursion order forms or have they done away with that because things are done more electronically now?

Should have caught up on the NCL board before I started looking this morning. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44653126&postcount=7

Someone posted a current shore excursion order form for GSC!

Thanks C!! You're awesome. Yikes, looks like they have went up on some of their pricing since we were there. (I particularly noticed the hippo slide pricing for an all day pass has went up.) :eek:

• 3 months later...

Will be going here in Sept. and have some questions re mobility, two of us have bad knees that make walking in very soft/fine sand or large steps difficult.

Wondering if there's a step-up to make getting on the tram easy or do you have to scale a large step/gap?

How fine is the sand in the lagoon area?

If it's the Sky @ GSC are the crowds overwhelming on the main beach? I know it varies depending how many go ashore, but generally!

I see clamshell's are priced in the lagoon, not seeing any in pictures, are they truly available in the lagoon... my pasty white skin cannot stay in the direct sunshine too long :D!

Will be going here in Sept. and have some questions re mobility, two of us have bad knees that make walking in very soft/fine sand or large steps difficult.

Wondering if there's a step-up to make getting on the tram easy or do you have to scale a large step/gap?

How fine is the sand in the lagoon area?

If it's the Sky @ GSC are the crowds overwhelming on the main beach? I know it varies depending how many go ashore, but generally!

I see clamshell's are priced in the lagoon, not seeing any in pictures, are they truly available in the lagoon... my pasty white skin cannot stay in the direct sunshine too long :D!

I checked my pictures of GSC from last Nov but I am almost sure that I did not saw any clamshells at the lagoon. Nor at the small cabana beach.

Also, the Sky is the best ship (or possibly Spirit?) for GSC being the smallest. With the Sky there will be no bar open at the lagoon, the small cabana beach bar will be the closest by. Tramstop 3 if I remember correctly.

I checked my pictures of GSC from last Nov but I am almost sure that I did not saw any clamshells at the lagoon. Nor at the small cabana beach.

Also, the Sky is the best ship (or possibly Spirit?) for GSC being the smallest. With the Sky there will be no bar open at the lagoon, the small cabana beach bar will be the closest by. Tramstop 3 if I remember correctly.

I agree that we also did not see any clam shells for rent. I would assume the reasoning being that there is plenty of shade from the palm trees and plenty of lounges to use, so there is really no need of a clam shell.

As for sand, the beach areas are fairly small and you will have no problems walking on them. They have a sort of man made lake in the middle of the lagoon where many choose to swim, or some even just pull their loungers into the water and lay on them there.

This is what most of the sand looks like

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/bahamas/MSC%20DIvina/IMG_6465_zps4903b921.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/bahamas/MSC%20DIvina/IMG_6458_zpsc29a46ec.jpg

The lake area

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/bahamas/MSC%20DIvina/IMG_6456_zpsd272e7b4.jpg

Cheers

Len

• 2 months later...

I am going on a family cruise in June on the Gem. There are 15 of us; 10 adults and 5 are children. In GSC, I know there are cabanas for rent. How many people can the large one hold? Are there cabana police there making sure you don't exceed the limit. Are there wrist bracelets (or something similar) that identifies you as a "cabana person"? Please provide any other info that could help us. Thanks for the answers!

I am going on a family cruise in June on the Gem. There are 15 of us; 10 adults and 5 are children. In GSC, I know there are cabanas for rent. How many people can the large one hold? Are there cabana police there making sure you don't exceed the limit. Are there wrist bracelets (or something similar) that identifies you as a "cabana person"? Please provide any other info that could help us. Thanks for the answers!

Large up to 8 I think and you will be wristbanded by the cabana staff yes. :)

• 2 months later...