Question about visiting ports after a major storm

Domino D

I remember after the earthquake in Haiti, a lot of people here were criticized for vacationing at Labadee. I had a cruise booked shortly after, and I can tell you that RCC was able to deliver supplies to a functioning port, and I and other guests helped bring supplies as well, not just money, which was also needed. I have a cruise for this December scheduled, and if the ship is able to dock, I will be there spending money and helping how I can, especially around the holidays, I think the emotional support will help.

Regards,

Mike

Our cruise to St. Thomas and other Eastern Island isn't until April 1 of 2018. on Allure Will that 6 months be enough time for them to re-coop some for the cruise to take place

We are on this cruise as well. I was wondering the same thing. I'm so sad for all of the devastation down there!

Our cruise to St. Thomas and other Eastern Island isn't until April 1 of 2018. on Allure Will that 6 months be enough time for them to re-coop some for the cruise to take place

I am preparing myself now to expect in late November that I'm not going to St. Thomas or St. Kitts. I expect to make it to Ponce since they are on the other side of the island and Puerto Rico was spared a direct hit. I haven't seen any photos of St. Kitts or St. Thomas but the ones from Barbuda and St. Maarten are awful. St. Kitts was slightly skirted but it looked like it ran over the top of St. Thomas.

Prayers for everyone on the islands and hope Jose spares them a second hit.

I was in Cozumel 11 months after Wilma hit in 2005. The piers were still being fixed and the Punta Langosta area still had visible hurricane damage. We tendered in from the Disney Magic as the piers were still gone. I compared my pictures from a visit in 2004 and the changes were obvious. It is going to take a long time for the islands of the Eastern Caribbean to bounce back. Prayers to the residents!

Sadly, we made the decision today to cancel our 9 night December 21st cruise aboard the Independence. I agree with everyone that tourist dollars would be helpful - but my reality is that I am cruising with a 6 and 8 year old. I'd rather give charity to those in need - not to RCII that will no doubt keep the sailing but most likely change a few ports if necessary. I'm very saddened for the loss of these beautiful islands and I look forward to making a return visit one day soon.

If the ships can get into port the merchants will be ready. We've followed a few hurricanes in the Caribbean and while it's tough on the islands they try to get up and running as soon as possible, they need the tourist dollars.

J.

Our first trip to Grand Cayman was several months after a devastating hurricane had hit them. We were able to tender in but very little was open. Damage was still very apparent and really there wasn't a lot to do.

A couple of years later we went back on a another cruise and I was amazed at the difference, a really great improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to my travel agent today in South Texas about our April 1 cruise on Allure to St. Thomas and St Marten, and she was uncertain about it that RC would make a decision about the itenary on a later date. We don't want to got to the Western islands because we've been there so many times. We may be force into moving back our date until May or June depending on what RCI decides to to Hopefully there will be nore more hurricanes in the near future. We were really counting on a nice cruise to St. Thomas and St Marten but that's the way it goes

The following info came to me in an email from the Caribbean Tourist Office. Of course, this may change after Jose comes through:

Haiti: Haiti was relatively unscathed. All services remain in operation and the country continues to welcome visitors. Travellers are advised to contact their local travel or booking agent for detailed arrangements about their bookings. Moulin Sur Mer was not affected by Hurricane Irma.

Puerto Rico: The Puerto Rico Tourism Company (PRTC) is reporting that major tourism infrastructure and attractions are operational and the island can continue to welcome new visitors. The PRTC said while there have been power outages, many hotels, as well as essential services such as hospitals, have generators and are operational. The majority of hotels throughout mainland Puerto Rico are ready to welcome new guests. Attractions such as parks and beaches are currently being assessed to ensure a committed focus on quick clean up in the coming days.

Flights to and from Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport have resumed. Puerto Rico's port is operational and started receiving ships on Sept. 9.

Updates from individual hotels in Puerto Rico are as follows: Condado Plaza Hilton received minor damage. El Conquistador Resort is operational. Las Casitas Village will reopen when electricity is restored. El San Juan Hotel received minimal damage and will reopen as soon as power is restored. Hotel El Convento escaped damage. Operations were due to resume on Sept. 11. Hyatt House San Juan, Hyatt Place Bayamon, Hyatt Place Manati, Hyatt Place San Juan City Center, Hyatt Residence Club Dorado, InterContinental San Juan, Rincon Beach, San Juan Water Beach Club,

Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar and Wyndham Grand Rio Mar are all open and operating.

St. Kitts & Nevis: St. Kitts & Nevis sustained minimal damage overall and both St. Kitts' Robert L. Bradshaw International Airport and Nevis' Vance W. Amory International Airport have reopened.

Hotels in St. Kitts reported no structural damage while Nevis' hotel were mostly undamaged. Park Hyatt St. Kitts did not sustain any damage and is on track for its official opening on Nov. 1, 2017. Since the resort is in its pre-opening phase it had no guests, but staff members are safe.

Four Seasons Resort Nevis is in fine shape; Hermitage Inn has general debris, but no structural damage; the Great House and Cottages at Nisbett Plantation Beach Club is in excellent condition, but there was damage to the Sea Breeze Beach Bar, the decking and the beach.

St. Maarten/St. Martin: The recovery effort continues, according to Rolando Grison, director of tourism for Dutch St. Maarten. He reports that Sun Wing has evacuated some visitors to Montreal, Canada, while other guests have also been evacuated. The Princess Juliana International Airport has been receiving flights that are bringing in relief supplies, and evacuating guests. No passengers, including media, are being allowed in at the moment due to a shortage of staff to man the airport. The airport reopened on Sunday, Sept. 10, for relief flights after the passage of Hurricane Jose in the region.

New updates from St. Maarten/St. Martin hotels are as follows: Beach Plaza was badly damaged; Belair Beach Hotels sustained damage and it will take time to repair, with phone and Internet service down; Esmeralda Resort reports it was 70 percent destroyed; Hotel Mercure was damaged.

La Vista Hotel reports the beach building is in decent shape. The roof tiles came off but the roof itself in still there. There is some water damage and missing doors and windows. Oyster Bay Beach Resort reports significant damage. Princess Heights reports minor damage. Riu Palace St. Martin reports infrastructures was severely affected, but all guests and employees are fine. Summit Resort Hotel will remain closed due to extensive damage. Westin Dawn Beach suffered significant damage. Sonesta reports damage to all three of its resorts is severe. All further reservations from now through the end of 2017 have been cancelled.

I talked to my travel agent down here in South Texas and she said that by April things will be fine as far as ships being able to dock and there will still be excursions.

AND THIS WAS BEFORE HURRICANE MARIA WAS IN THE MIX

From USA Today (09/15/2017)

"Cruise lines haven't talked much in the past few days about how long they might have to divert ships from the affected islands. For now, they're focused on relief efforts. But in a research note sent to investors on Monday, Instinet analyst Harry Curtis estimated it could take "several quarters or more" to repair infrastructure on St. Martin and St. Thomas, suggesting it could be an extended period before ships return".

bosco

And now we add Maria to the mix which just turned into a Cat 5. Supposed to hit St. Kitts and Puerto Rico. I have no idea where we are going on our Ponce, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Kitts itinerary. Hope everyone stays safe with the new hurricane. Seems like a bad year. :loudcry: