TV channels on Australia/New Zealand cruises

dbsb3233

I know it will probably vary by cruise line and maybe even ship, but does anyone know if the common US news/sports ship channels (CNN, Fox News, ESPN) are even on a satellite in that part of the world? We don't go on a cruise just to watch TV, of course, but at the same time we'd like to catch up on the news and some of the commentary during the election primaries.

Specifically, we'll be on the HAL Noordam if anyone happens to know what channels they have during AUS/NZ cruises. But short of that, even hearing what other ships have gotten during cruises there might give a clue. I might consider an internet package if there's no US news at all.

Thanks!

I would expect that yes, it would be the standard US oriented channels on a US based and oriented ship. Getting new channels from the satellites is an expensive proposition for a cruise line.

I know what's common for many cruises, but I was wondering if anyone had first-hand experience with AUS-NZ cruises since they would be using different satellites than those in the northern hemisphere.

Here's what the HAL handbook says:

• Flat-screen televisions featuring CNN, and subject to satellite availability: TNT or TCM, Boomerang, Cartoon Network and CNN, as well as shore excursions information, safety information, ship programming and feature movies

But of course that "subject to satellite availability" is what I'm wondering about for the Southern Hemisphere.

I know it is not your cruise ship, but we just completed our Aus/NZ cruise last week. The channels on board were Fox News, BBC, MSNBC, ESPN, Australia Prime, Sport 24. The ESPN channel was off the air for much of the cruise...

I know it is not your cruise ship, but we just completed our Aus/NZ cruise last week. The channels on board were Fox News, BBC, MSNBC, ESPN, Australia Prime, Sport 24. The ESPN channel was off the air for much of the cruise...

That is my cruise ship, so thank you. Confirming they have the on demand TV system set up?

Cool, thanks. Sounds like the satellites down there get many of the same feeds, and it should at least be possible to get many of the channels. I'm guessing then we'll at least get CNN as the HAL website mentions.

I just hope it's the US version rather than CNN International like we've had on some ships. And not ESPN International either (which might as well be called "The Soccer Channel" ;) ).

Can't speak for HAL, but on other lines in these waters there is variability.

There aren't a lot of satellites that point this far south. When you're in the south pacific, in closer reach of Asia plus islands coverage there is more of the traditional US broadcasts available. However further south, closer to Sydney, there are much fewer satellites and thus broadcasts are different.

CNN is most common, Fox news and ESPN are still fairly common.

On Princess they have all the crap cable news channels that keep playing the same sensationlist news grabs with 4 or 5 tickers across the screen in a continuous 7 minute repeat. No story is given more time than the attention span of an ant . MSNBC is the worst channel by far, and Fox is not much better . All cruise lines seem too lazy to broadcast Australian and New Zealand free to air channels when in port, albeit to do so would cost the cruise lines NIL . Best Australian free to air channels if you do not to be sent silly with advertisements are ABC 1 & 2 and SBS .

All cruise lines seem too lazy to broadcast Australian and New Zealand free to air channels when in port, albeit to do so would cost the cruise lines NIL . Best Australian free to air channels if you do not to be sent silly with advertisements are ABC 1 & 2 and SBS .

Not all. With RCL you get some Australian channels in the southern region (not just in port).

Unfortunately, there's no longer the ABC (Australia network) since the Libs got rid of them.

• 3 weeks later...

just my 2cents, but ....

you'll be on a wonderful adventure, on the 'other side of the world'... take that opportunity to disconnect for your everyday stuff. There's not going to be a thing that will be reported during the primaries that will affect what is happening to you at that moment, or that you can affect the outcome of.

Catch up on what you missed when you get home.

I for one would hope that they didn't have the US channels, but had the AU/NZ channels, they provide a much more unbiased view of what is going on here.

I'm looking forward to my cruise there next January,

just my 2cents, but ....

you'll be on a wonderful adventure, on the 'other side of the world'... take that opportunity to disconnect for your everyday stuff. There's not going to be a thing that will be reported during the primaries that will affect what is happening to you at that moment, or that you can affect the outcome of.

Catch up on what you missed when you get home.

I for one would hope that they didn't have the US channels, but had the AU/NZ channels, they provide a much more unbiased view of what is going on here.

I'm looking forward to my cruise there next January,

Our lat cruise had the Pris attack, before that we boarded the da of the Martin Place siege, we were glad to have news services. But as the main news was US there wasn't a lot on Martin Place once we left Ydney Harbour.

I'm the OP, and we just got back from our AUS/NZ cruise on the HAL Noordam. Happy to report that they had Fox News available, as well as MSNBC, BBC, CNBC, and ESPN. Surprisingly, no CNN or CNN International as I was expecting. But we were very happy to get actual US news channels rather than CNN International as we seem to get stuck with on many cruises.

While we were happy with the news and sports channels available, I can't say the same about entertainment channels. There were none (no channels like TBS). They did have 3 internal movie channels that rotated a movie lineup all day, but nothing that showed sitcoms or TV dramas like most ships have.

One nice thing HAL does have is their free DVD library and a DVD player in every room. Something like 1000 titles in stock.

Edited by dbsb3233

• 3 weeks later...

On Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas (Queensland) we had CNN International and some local Australian channels.

On Celebrity Solstice around New Zealand and Australia we had local New Zealand and Australia channels and international ones like BBC and CNN.