Pro and Cons for staying at the Turtle Bay Resort on Oahu Island

cachouonacruise

Hi, we will be two couples travelling to Hawaii in May 2017, each couple celebrating 25 years of marriage. As a pre-cruise option, We are considering a few days at the Turtle Bay resort on the north side. Main reasons: close to PCC and cruise ship is departing from Honolulu and overnighting the first night in Honolulu, giving us time to visit Waikiki and Honolulu. I have not read much on this post about the Turtle Bay Resort hotel or the north shore area and would welcome your feedback. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Getting there requires renting a car, or perhaps a limo or shuttle. Given you are planning on both, I would definitely be renting a car.

Nothing wrong with Turtle Bay, its a nice place. We prefer to stay in Waikiki. Are you going to Pearl Harbor? Most of day on the downtown/Waikiki side.

We had a post cruise stay at the Turtle Bay Resort in August 2014. We picked up a rental car at the airport and drove up. We enjoyed this area very much. We stayed in one of those private villas, I think they used a different term for them, right on the water. They are all ocean front.

The resort is very nice, although we did not spend a lot of time there as we were out in our car exploring all day most every day. Our favorite restaurant there is Lei Lei's on the Golf Course. Food at the resort ( and Hawaii in general ) is very pricey, and this was an excellent value. Try the pork chops ( you get two huge ones ) with a rum cherry glaze, but unless you are big eaters, order one to share. They don't mind at all and will plate separately. We liked to sit on the patio.

We took one route going "up", past the Dole Pineapple place, and if I were you I'd just keep driving;). On the way back we took the route along the windward coast which passes the PCC. This is really the most scenic area and and I loved it.

We will be on Oahu again in March, staying post cruise in Waikiki for 3 nights and plan to spend one day driving back to the Northshore and having dinner at Lei Lei's. We will take the same route going and coming, up the windward coast, avoiding the less scenic highway past Dole's. The PCC is really not that far from Waikiki, probably a 30 minute or so drive I'd guess. Also in the PCC vacinity is the Kualoa Ranch. Many different tours and some spectacular scenery from mountain to sea.

Sorry I don't have the route numbers. If I can answer any question for you, let me know.

Edited by punkincc

Thank you very much for the feed-back. We were indeed planning to rent a car. Our main interest involves local hawaiian/polynesian culture and scenic views. The PCC appeared to be very interesting and the north shore a bit further from crowded areas. My wife is not comfortable in crowded places and becomes very anxious. My main concern with Turtle Bay was price versus value of experience and possible limited "restaurant options", therefore, I really appreciate the Lei Lei suggestion. We are still assessing the amount of time to spend in the area before the cruise. This will be a once in a life time trip for us; therefore, I want to do it right while keeping an eye on the budget. On internet, I saw pictures of nice waterfalls, a Japanese or Chinese Temple, and of course Diamond Head. Regarding our time in Honolulu, after checking in on the Solstice, I thought, that it could be nice to at least visit Waikiki a bit, may be the Iolani Palace and the beach, with possibly a stop at a hotel for a show or luau. Having seen other U.S Military warship in Baton-Rouge and New-York, I was not planning to stop at Pearl-Harbor. I have read a lot about WWII and completely understand the historical importance of the site; I am just not yet convinced that a visit would add to our life experience. Thank you so much for having taken the time to share your experience and knowledge. Your suggestions will help us make more informed choices. Please feel free to add anything that you would consider a must on Oahu Island. P.s I will research Kualoa Ranch, Thank you!

My wife is not comfortable in crowded places and becomes very anxious.

Oahu, as you know, is a well-populated island. Have you considered spending your pre-cruise time on another less-populated island instead where you can get a quieter and gentler Hawaii? On your sailing day, an inter-island flight can get you to Honolulu from an outer island in less than one hour. Just a thought.

Thank you Silver Sweatheart for the suggestion. Which island would you recommend for the best cultural/scenic experience?

It will hardly come as a surprise that we recommend Maui, but as residents we have seen that Maui does offer something for most everyone. It would certainly be a more relaxing way to start a vacation, and inter-island flights to and from Honolulu run many times a day. Also, driving on Maui is hardly as frantic as much of the driving on Oahu. Do you have any specific cultural and scenic interests in mind? The people on this message board, as you will find, are very helpful and speak from experience - and a great resource in trip planning.

Staying at Turtle Bay Resort depends on what you want to do.

Most of the sights of Oahu are on the South Shore. If all you want to do is see the PCC and then relax around the resort it is fine. but if you want to see the major tourist sights on Oahu there are better places to stay. The Kahala Resort might be one. There are others in Waikiki where you'd never know you are in Waikiki because they are oases.

As to what other island for best cultural & scenic experiences, Maui would be the last one. Maui is now more California beach town than it is Hawaii. Kauai or the The Big Island of Hawaii would be better.

Lastly, Pearl Harbor is about one thing, the USS Arizona Memorial. All the other stuff is just noise.

Maui is now more California beach town than it is Hawaii.

Yes and no. Maui is many things to many people, and it is what you make of it and what you look for. If you don't want to search beyond a conception of a California beach town, don't expect to have cultural and scenic spots come and find you. At least looking around from our perch Upcountry here, there isn't anything in sight that suggests California beach town. Generalizing the whole island in one term is hardly accurate. The beach town bit is for the west and south tourist areas, but not much else.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

Generalizing the whole island in one term is hardly accurate. The beach town bit is for the west and south tourist areas, but not much else.

Yes and no. When 97% of the visitors to Maui stay South or West, it makes the generalization pretty accurate. The 3% who stay in Hana, Upcountry or Kahului pales in comparison.

Yes and no. Maui is many things to many people, and it is what you make of it and what you look for. If you don't want to search beyond a conception of a California beach town, don't expect to have cultural and scenic spots come and find you. At least looking around from our perch Upcountry here, there isn't anything in sight that suggests California beach town. Generalizing the whole island in one term is hardly accurate. The beach town bit is for the west and south tourist areas, but not much else.

Yes and no. When 97% of the visitors to Maui stay South or West, it makes the generalization pretty accurate. The 3% who stay in Hana, Upcountry or Kahului pales in comparison.

This isn't about where people stay while here. It is about where they go and what they do and see while here. We are optimistic enough to believe that the 97% will figure there is life on Maui outside of the south and west resort areas and go explore the island. If we were the OP we would be a bit turned off about Maui by your remark, and we feel Maui should not be dismissed so easily.

If a quieter, more authentic experience is your goal, my vote would be Kauai. We were lucky enough to have two weeks there recently - one in a nice condo complex in Princeville, the second in a private beach house . We swam and snorkeled at a wide variety of beach locations, spent a day at the botanical gardens, attended a different local market every day and enjoyed a slack-key ukelele concert in the local community hall. Kauai is known as the Garden Isle. Great beaches, good hiking and walking trails, friendly locals, great food experiences. Just now we are debating whether to take a pre-cruise week in Oahu because it would be simpler for Honolulu embarkation or return to Kauai and make the quick flight over for the ship.

This isn't about where people stay while here. It is about where they go and what they do and see while here. We are optimistic enough to believe that the 97% will figure there is life on Maui outside of the south and west resort areas and go explore the island. If we were the OP we would be a bit turned off about Maui by your remark, and we feel Maui should not be dismissed so easily.

I agree completely. And the same can be said for the island of Oahu. When many people think of Oahu, they think only of Waikiki. But the island is much more than that if you care to venture out. IMO, the mountains coming down into the sea on the Windward Coast drive is some of the most beautiful in all the Hawaiian Islands. And all an easy drive away.

OP, is there one island your cruise does not make it to? They are all so different, you don't want to miss any of them! If so, you might choose that one for a precruise stay. Or, Maui has areas that take a full day to explore, like the Highway to Hana. This is best done when you have a overnight and don't need to worry about time. If your cruise stops there as well, then you have additional time for things like Haleakala.

Thank you very much for the feed-back. We were indeed planning to rent a car. Our main interest involves local hawaiian/polynesian culture and scenic views. The PCC appeared to be very interesting and the north shore a bit further from crowded areas. My wife is not comfortable in crowded places and becomes very anxious. My main concern with Turtle Bay was price versus value of experience and possible limited "restaurant options", therefore, I really appreciate the Lei Lei suggestion. We are still assessing the amount of time to spend in the area before the cruise. This will be a once in a life time trip for us; therefore, I want to do it right while keeping an eye on the budget. On internet, I saw pictures of nice waterfalls, a Japanese or Chinese Temple, and of course Diamond Head. Regarding our time in Honolulu, after checking in on the Solstice, I thought, that it could be nice to at least visit Waikiki a bit, may be the Iolani Palace and the beach, with possibly a stop at a hotel for a show or luau. Having seen other U.S Military warship in Baton-Rouge and New-York, I was not planning to stop at Pearl-Harbor. I have read a lot about WWII and completely understand the historical importance of the site; I am just not yet convinced that a visit would add to our life experience. Thank you so much for having taken the time to share your experience and knowledge. Your suggestions will help us make more informed choices. Please feel free to add anything that you would consider a must on Oahu Island. P.s I will research Kualoa Ranch, Thank you!

Turtle Bay is indeed expensive. There are several options for accommodations there, from hotel to condo to private villa. I would just take the least expensive if I were you and you decide to stay there. Hotels on the North Shore and Windward Coast are few and far between, which only adds to it's charm. You might investigate the possibility of condo rentals or even rentals offered in private homes which is very common in Hawaii. These are much more reasonable. Just google Vacation Home Rentals and you will see a ton of choices. We stayed in a private home on the Windward Coast. We had the entire ground floor, really the second level as it was hillside, full kitchen and a beautiful large lanai overlooking Keahou Bay and the Koolau Mountains.

One don't miss place Northshore is Waimea Valley and Falls, $16 admission. Closed Monday's. This is a Hawaiian sacred place. 3/4 mile to the falls, 1 1/2 mile r/t, easy paved walk through beautiful botanical garden, huge trees, interspersed with historical markers to a 45 ft high waterfall. You can swim if you like. You can take the shuttle r/t or 1/2 way if walking is an issue. We had lunch at the restaurant overlooking the grounds after our walk. There is a very nice gift shop.

The temple you saw a picture of is probably Byodo-In-Temple in the Windward area. We never made it there, but I have read good things about it's beauty. We went to the sand bar in Keauhu Bay, and Kualoa Ranch a couple times. Beaches are plentiful, much quieter on the windward side. The small town of Haleiwa with many shops and restaurants is west of Turtle Bay and near all the surfing activity of the North Shore.

Check Trip Advisor website for list of things to do, restaurants, accommodations. If you decide not to stay outside Waikiki, there are many tours which go to PCC from there or do the Northshore. Or you could just rent your own car and make a couple day trips from Waikiki. You can be pretty much anywhere in 30 min to an hour.

I stayed at the Turtle Bay Hilton a long time ago for a medical conference-found it very dirty,service terrible,a very outdated hotel. There were not really any nice restaurants close by either. Most places were surfer dude type of places and dirty as well.

Not sure if it has been revamped or not since then. I would just not want to go back to see.

I think just about any other island would be preferable to the Turtle Bay resort or the north shore of Oahu.

I have visited all of the other islands-used to have a time share in Kona,vacationed on Maui and Kauai-hard to pick which one I like best but Maui does tick a lot of boxes-you can go upscale and modern and you can find some history and culture there too as well. You can also easily visit the islands of Lanai or Molokai on a day trip from Lahaina to add more adventure.

The Big Island is for certain the most diverse from a geological/climate/biological standpoint. Beaches are not that great there though.

Kauai is probably my least favorite.

Well except that the OP said "My wife is not comfortable in crowded places and becomes very anxious" and the South and West where almost all visitors stay on Maui ARE very crowded and there IS bad traffic between the South and West.

It would be like saying "don't worry about Waikiki being crowded because you can drive to Leeward Oahu and the North Shore".

I HOPE the OP is turned off to Maui, which is a mere shadow of its former self since the over development of the 1980's started, and goes to Kauai instead or to the Big Island; both of which are still relatively under developed.

I stayed at the Turtle Bay Hilton a long time ago for a medical conference-found it very dirty,service terrible,a very outdated hotel. There were not really any nice restaurants close by either. Most places were surfer dude type of places and dirty as well.

Not sure if it has been revamped or not since then. I would just not want to go back to see.

I think just about any other island would be preferable to the Turtle Bay resort or the north shore of Oahu.

I have visited all of the other islands-used to have a time share in Kona,vacationed on Maui and Kauai-hard to pick which one I like best but Maui does tick a lot of boxes-you can go upscale and modern and you can find some history and culture there too as well. You can also easily visit the islands of Lanai or Molokai on a day trip from Lahaina to add more adventure.

The Big Island is for certain the most diverse from a geological/climate/biological standpoint. Beaches are not that great there though.

Kauai is probably my least favorite.

Turtle Bay has not been a Hilton for at least six years, maybe long and has been completely renovated.

I also think that Oahu is the second most beautiful island after Kauai. The palis on the Leeward side and the beaches of the North Shore are as beautiful as any spot in the islands.

My take on people who love Maui is that very few of them visited Maui before the mid to late 1980's.

Going to do a conference and vacation later this month for 12 days on Maui-guess I will report back on how "awful" Maui is.

Been there in the late 90s-it was great.

Traffic issues are everywhere these days.

Have friends who visit the Makena area every couple of years and they love it because it is far away from everything-based on their sophisticated travel experiences this would be much nicer than the nasty Turtle Bay Resort. Hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. It is not a nice resort. Maui really caters nicely to honeymooners and people celebrating anniversaries.

Hope the OP looks further than Oahu.

Going to do a conference and vacation later this month for 12 days on Maui-guess I will report back on how "awful" Maui is.

Been there in the late 90s-it was great.

Traffic issues are everywhere these days.

Have friends who visit the Makena area every couple of years and they love it because it is far away from everything-based on their sophisticated travel experiences this would be much nicer than the nasty Turtle Bay Resort. Hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. It is not a nice resort. Maui really caters nicely to honeymooners and people celebrating anniversaries.

Hope the OP looks further than Oahu.

"Been there in the late 90s-it was great."

I guess that proves one of my points.

Maui isn't awful, but it is not nearly as nice as in the 1960's and 70's.

You admit you have not been to the Turtle Bay in many years, but persist in your denigrating it.

Yeah, Turtle Bay is so nasty, that is why Roy Yamaguchi is putting a new restaurant in there.

The resort has hotel rooms, beach cottages, villas and golf condominiums. It has been getting rave reviews since its renovation.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60651-d87158-Reviews-Turtle_Bay_Resort-Kahuku_Oahu_Hawaii.html#REVIEWS

It does not do the OP any good if your advice is dated.

I would like to thank every one for the time taken in providing us very interesting information and tips. This trip will be a once in a lifetime experience for the four of us. So I have carefully read all your suggestions and further researched alternative options/suggestions provided. Your knowledge and experiences of Hawaii will be very helpful in personalizing our trip. Thank you so much! P.s. I will continue to follow this link in case further suggestions would come to mind. P.s.2 Our cruise is departing from Honolulu (Oahu island) and will stop on Maui, and Hawaii Islands.

I would like to thank every one for the time taken in providing us very interesting information and tips. This trip will be a once in a lifetime experience for the four of us. So I have carefully read all your suggestions and further researched alternative options/suggestions provided. Your knowledge and experiences of Hawaii will be very helpful in personalizing our trip. Thank you so much! P.s. I will continue to follow this link in case further suggestions would come to mind. P.s.2 Our cruise is departing from Honolulu (Oahu island) and will stop on Maui, and Hawaii Islands.

So your port stops after Honolulu are Maui and the "big island" of Hawaii? No stop in Kauai? I could easily vote Kauai as the most lush and spectacular of the islands. The Waimea Canyon and the Na Pali coast are must sees. A helicopter tour of this island is a once in a lifetime, knock your socks off, spiritual experience.

If your cruise bypasses this island, it is a shame. If so, I would definately plan on a precruise stay here.

Not sure if it has been revamped or not since then.

We spent several nights at the Turtle Bay Hilton in November 2014. We were returning to the US from Australia, and wanted to break the flights. It is no longer a Hilton property but is owned by an investment group. The hotel, facilities and grounds were lovely and in great condition. Would definitely stay there again.

We are meeting family from Australia and Canada for a very small wedding ceremony at Turtle Bay. It is an area full of out door enjoyment, turtles monk seal riding stables, zip lining and the PCC. Down the road I am told there are food trucks that are very good with a variety of choices.

I will write a review when I return. We are also staying on Maui for a few days.

I have done the cruise to all islands many years ago and yes Kaui is beautiful but you have to decide if you want the time and cost to flying over as it still costs and all the islands are expensive.

So your port stops after Honolulu are Maui and the "big island" of Hawaii? No stop in Kauai? I could easily vote Kauai as the most lush and spectacular of the islands. The Waimea Canyon and the Na Pali coast are must sees. A helicopter tour of this island is a once in a lifetime, knock your socks off, spiritual experience.

If your cruise bypasses this island, it is a shame. If so, I would definately plan on a precruise stay here.

I would agree with the above.

I had always wanted to see the Turtle Bay Resort & maybe stay there for a full week, after seeing the movie (Sara Marshall). So we went there. About 2 years ago, taking a taxi from the cruise port in Honolulu (we were on a Princess cruise) . The taxi guy took us to the hotel & waited for us, as we toured the hotel & the different rooms. The staff was very nice & gave us keys to look @ the rooms. I felt the hotel was very very nice, up-scale, with a beautiful lobby (not @ all dirty), but there is not a lot of eating places, except for what is @ the hotel, & of course the shrimp trucks near by, which we did stop @ that day. (Yummy)

It is, of course pricey, but in Hawaii what isn't. If money was no object I would stay there in a minute, especially if you don't mind the drive to get there, but not for a whole week. It is not a place to stay if you want to see any other sites on Oahu, since it is so far from everything.

Grace