One Night Pre-Cruise In Southampton

We'll be leaving on RCCL's Anthem on June 1. I've narrowed my hotel choices down to the following four:

1: Novotel Southampton for £126

2: Premier Inn Southampton City Centre for £35 (really that low? What's wrong with this hotel for it to be so inexpensive?)

3: Ibis Budget Southampton Centre for $74.81

4: Ibis Southampton Centre $115.88

They all seem to have good reviews, and since I'm not familiar with any of the brands so I don't know which to choose. All we require is a clean and quiet room, and would enjoy the benefit of free wifi as well. They all seem to be within a fair distance to the port, whether we decide to take a taxi or walk.

Can anyone steer me towards or away from any of these?

Thank you!

We loved the Grand Harbour last fall when we stayed for 2 days pre-cruise. In fact, we've already booked 3 days for this August. It was clean and well maintained, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was wonderful.

We stayed at the Blue Keys Inn, it was a quaint little inn a short taxi ride from the pier. They have a bar and restaurant, great service, lovely staff and clean rooms.

Edited by krev

If it is the premier inn west quay I would go with that as location is good however all the other prems are a little further out. Premier inn often have offers for non flexible rates in fact they launched a new campaign this week.

All of the hotels on your list are very acceptable, but the prices are a little surprising - Ibis Budget is very basic & normally the cheapest chain hotel in the city centre, Novotel is probably the best of that bunch but looks to be over-priced.

All are chain hotels, & all those chains have good reputations though they all lack "character". Far far better for character are the Mercure Dolphin (though it comes with the downsides of a historic coaching inn) or the Pig-in-the-Wall or Ennios which are both boutique hotels. Again, all are conveniently located.

Without a doubt, Premier Inn City Centre is a bargain at £35 - it's normally around double that price!!

NMG is right that Premier Inns run promotions from time to time, so no need for suspicion.

But this isn't the West Quay hotel, which is popular with cruisers.

It's in New Road, on the opposite edge of the city centre. A convenient short walk across a park to the city centre, not so convenient for cruise terminals but all are just a short & inexpensive (no more than £10) taxi ride. It does suffer some noise from the railway, which is in a cutting behind the hotel.

The third Premier Inn (Southampton North) is at a motorway service area outside the city - OK for motorists, totally unsuitable without a car.

I wouldn't hesitate to book Premier Inn New Road at this price.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

We will be in Southampton for our first time in May 2016 for two nights pre-cruise for the QM2 to New York. I am just beginning our research regarding our stay in Southampton and have made notes regarding the hotels mentioned.

I would like to ask about transportation from the hotel to the cruise terminal on the day we embark on the QM2.

1. Are taxis readily available and dependable?

2. It appears that there will be at least 4 ships in port the day we leave, will the taxi be able to get us to the drop zone without having to sit for a long time due to port traffic?

3. If we chose to walk to the cruise terminal with our luggage, is it easy to get around on the docks as a pedestrian?

4. Are there other transportation options we should consider?

Thank you in advance.

There's a strong probability that QM2 will be at QE11 terminal - the one terminal that's deep in the docks & the one terminal for which even without luggage you really do need a taxi because of both the distance & the absence of a proper sidewalk - there's only a painted yellow line between you & heavy traffic accessing both that terminal & a couple of busy vehicle-export ro-ro berths.

Sometimes there are traffic hold-ups, but the different cruise berths are accessed by 2 / 3 different gates - QE11 terminal shares an entrance (Dock Gate 4) with Ocean Terminal, the other cruise terminals are elsewhere & should have no impact.

Long-term road improvements to improve traffic flow there have just finished, and there are now separate access & exit gates so hopefully traffic should be easier.

No problem getting a taxi - there may be a taxi rank near your hotel but its a little cheaper to phone from your hotel for a private-hire taxi.

No other sensible transport options for QE11 terminal, the only bus route into the docks (to the Oceanography Centre) stops well short of the cruise terminal.

Edited by John Bull

There's a strong probability that QM2 will be at QE11 terminal - the one terminal that's deep in the docks & the one terminal for which even without luggage you really do need a taxi because of both the distance & the absence of a proper sidewalk - there's only a painted yellow line between you & heavy traffic accessing both that terminal & a couple of busy vehicle-export ro-ro berths.

Sometimes there are traffic hold-ups, but the different cruise berths are accessed by 2 / 3 different gates - QE11 terminal shares an entrance (Dock Gate 4) with Ocean Terminal, the other cruise terminals are elsewhere & should have no impact.

Long-term road improvements to improve traffic flow there have just finished, and there are now separate access & exit gates so hopefully traffic should be easier.

No problem getting a taxi - there may be a taxi rank near your hotel but its a little cheaper to phone from your hotel for a private-hire taxi.

No other sensible transport options for QE11 terminal, the only bus route into the docks (to the Oceanography Centre) stops well short of the cruise terminal.

Thank you, JB. This is excellent information.

We stayed at the Blue Keys Inn, it was a quaint little inn a short taxi ride from the pier. They have a bar and restaurant, great service, lovely staff and clean rooms.

Sounds nice for a friendly small place stay, alternatively de vere Grand Harbour hotel is close to the water and up market opposite this is Holiday Inn where I tend to stay it is a bit basic but has a swimming pool and they get you a taxi to the ship if you ask. There are good options mentioned on this thread

Regards John

We'll be leaving on RCCL's Anthem on June 1. I've narrowed my hotel choices down to the following four:

2: Premier Inn Southampton City Centre for £35 (really that low? What's wrong with this hotel for it to be so inexpensive?)

3: Ibis Budget Southampton Centre for $74.81

4: Ibis Southampton Centre $115.88

They all seem to have good reviews, and since I'm not familiar with any of the brands so I don't know which to choose. All we require is a clean and quiet room, and would enjoy the benefit of free wifi as well. They all seem to be within a fair distance to the port, whether we decide to take a taxi or walk.

Can anyone steer me towards or away from any of these?

Thank you!

My vote would be Premier Inn, I have never had any issues with them. Clean, friendly and the beds are very comfy. You get a good nights sleep in them.

...Far far better for character are the Mercure Dolphin (though it comes with the downsides of a historic coaching inn)... .

Thank you for your very thorough advice! What do you mean when you say that the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin has "the downsides of a historic coaching inn"?

I've priced it and can reserve it for £71 for the night.

However, after reading reviews and seeing guest photos on TripAdvisor, I'm really rethinking staying at either of the two Ibis hotels or the Mercure even. Guest photos make the hotels appear to look really run-down, and when the Mercure gives out complimentary ear plugs, I've got to wonder how good a night's sleep I'll truly be getting!

The Premier Inn Southampton City Centre (New Road) seems a bit too far from anything interesting to come across while walking and wandering about, and they mention the noise from the train on their website, so that's concerning too.

I'm wondering if I should spend a little extra on the hotel, even though we're just using it to sleep and shower. I think my quest continues - even though I need to hurry up on it!

Sounds nice for a friendly small place stay, alternatively de vere Grand Harbour hotel is close to the water and up market opposite this is Holiday Inn where I tend to stay it is a bit basic but has a swimming pool and they get you a taxi to the ship if you ask. There are good options mentioned on this thread

Regards John

Grand Harbour is no longer a DeVere property. I think it changed hands 2 years ago, but I'm not certain of the date.

Thank you for your very thorough advice! What do you mean when you say that the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin has "the downsides of a historic coaching inn"?

I've priced it and can reserve it for £71 for the night.

However, after reading reviews and seeing guest photos on TripAdvisor, I'm really rethinking staying at either of the two Ibis hotels or the Mercure even. Guest photos make the hotels appear to look really run-down, and when the Mercure gives out complimentary ear plugs, I've got to wonder how good a night's sleep I'll truly be getting!

The Premier Inn Southampton City Centre (New Road) seems a bit too far from anything interesting to come across while walking and wandering about, and they mention the noise from the train on their website, so that's concerning too.

I'm wondering if I should spend a little extra on the hotel, even though we're just using it to sleep and shower. I think my quest continues - even though I need to hurry up on it!

The room sizes & shapes in the Dolphin are quite varied, the corridors are a bit of a rabbit-warren, some floors are sloping & uneven - all these things are due the hotel's long heritage.

But if, like me, you prefer to stay somewhere a bit different, with a bit of local history, colour & character, and in the price range, the Dolphin is the place to choose.

Think art deco hotels on Miami's South Beach, chalet houses in the Swiss Alps, log cabins in Yellowstone, rondavels on Jamaica, colonial houses in Cuba, the French quarter in NOLA, manoirs in France, paradors in Spain, Ottoman houses in Istanbul, etc.

By contrast Southampton's Ibis, Premier Inns, Novotel, Jury's Inn, Holiday Inn, Travelodge, etc are very adequate but they are bland clones, devoid of character. Same as most examples of many similar chains in the US.

The Dolphin was unloved for a number of years, but was renovated about 4 to 5 years ago by Mercure. Certainly got rave reviews after it re-opened under their banner.

I've visited the Dolphin a few times, but being a local I've never stayed there.

I took the plunge and booked the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel. I listened to you, JB, and decided that I wanted to have that special authentic feel that I'm sure this hotel will give to me. All said and done, it was $92 USD. Not too bad.

It appears to be a 13 minute walk to the cruise pier, but it does caution against walking - Google maps says that a walk would include a "partial restricted usage road" - which I'm assuming (hoping) that it means it's restricted to cruise passengers?

Nonetheless, I thank you all for your input on this thread.

I took the plunge and booked the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel. I listened to you, JB, and decided that I wanted to have that special authentic feel that I'm sure this hotel will give to me. All said and done, it was $92 USD. Not too bad.

It appears to be a 13 minute walk to the cruise pier, but it does caution against walking - Google maps says that a walk would include a "partial restricted usage road" - which I'm assuming (hoping) that it means it's restricted to cruise passengers?

If you have the opportunity to comment here after your stay, I would really like to learn about your experience at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you!

THANKYOU MEISHIE!

I saw this posting last night, I had booked the premier Inn some months ago when I booked my WC for next January at the "special deal" price of 100 pounds per night and was able to cancel that and rebook at the 35 pound rate. I owe you a drink!

Its certainly a really good deal and the hotel from all accounts is perfect for a pre cruise stay as long as you don't expect it to be the Savoy!

thanks again...

regards Roscoe

Pretty much: The roads in question are in the dock area so are not part of the public road network. They probably shut off access during the night for security reasons.

Dragging cruise luggage would be a bit of a chore though - I would take a taxi.

Edited by Bob++

Yes, the "restricted" part is through the dock gate - it's manned but no problem to pass through on foot or by taxi though as Bob's post the gate is closed when there's not a ship in.

And yes, a 10 - 15 minute walk, past the Tudor House in Bugle Street & Westgate Hall which are less than five minutes from the Dolphin - from the West Gate you can see the dock gate & the terminal beyond. Mebbe decide whether to walk to the ship after taking a little walk that way in the evening, when you might even want to pop into the Duke of Wellington or the Dancing Man (the old Wool House at the bottom of Bugle Street) for an alcoholic top-up.

But if you opt to walk you might change your mind in the morning if it's raining. ;)

A taxi will cost about £7.

Edited by John Bull

We did the walk from the Star(near the Dolphin) to City Terminal last year.

I would say more like 20mins dragging a case.

it is uphill past the church to the Tudor House(you don't notice it much walking)

Then downhill from there to the Pig In the Wall and through the wall.

Then level to the ship from there.

Another option is club together with others at the hotel and fill a taxi with bags and a minder to do the bag drop and the rest walk.

Edited by insidecabin

THANKYOU MEISHIE!

I saw this posting last night, I had booked the premier Inn some months ago when I booked my WC for next January at the "special deal" price of 100 pounds per night and was able to cancel that and rebook at the 35 pound rate. I owe you a drink!

Its certainly a really good deal and the hotel from all accounts is perfect for a pre cruise stay as long as you don't expect it to be the Savoy!

thanks again...

regards Roscoe

Wot? Only one drink for a £65 saving??

Oh, I was forgetting.

Cunard bar prices :p :D

(all in jest ;) , have a great cruise)

ps don't go to the wrong Premier Inn. This one's Premier Inn City Centre, on New Street - not Premier Inn West Quay.

We are booked at the Dolphin for a pre-cruise night this fall. I agree with JB on wanting a bit of "local flavor" in a hotel if we can reasonably get it, and it was his similar comments on other threads that influenced me here. (Thanks again, JB.)

In terms of getting to the pier, the hotel has a package that includes breakfast and a taxi to the pier. Have you checked into that?

I'll be happy to come back here and give our thoughts on the Dolphin after we stay there. I will say that their staff have been great to deal with via email in terms of answering questions and setting things up.

For local flavour one great thing with the Dolphin is the great curry house Coriander Lounge across the road and pub with real beer next door.

Other pubs available within short walk with more British pub food and beer.

For local flavour one great thing with the Dolphin is the great curry house Coriander Lounge across the road and pub with real beer next door.

Other pubs available within short walk with more British pub food and beer.

Thank you. We are always interested in pub food when we visit the UK (and my spouse will be interested in the beer). :)

Wot? Only one drink for a £65 saving??

ps don't go to the wrong Premier Inn. This one's Premier Inn City Centre, on New Street - not Premier Inn West Quay.

lol....i didn't say what the drink was....

and thanks for the heads up but the 35 pound deal is for the West Quay one. You had me going there but just checked!

cheers guys...

Hi Roscoe,

Yep - Meishie had mentioned P I City Centre, which is the one in New Street.

But I've just checked, & P I West Quay is on the same rates for next January. :)

Both very acceptable, but West Quay is a little more convenient for the city centre and for the cruise terminals.

Wasn't trying to wind you up.

Honest. guv'nor ;)