? on Transportation leaving Manhattan Cruise Terminal

bmwjeanne

When we disembark our ship at the Manhattan Cruise terminal (in October) we will immediately be going to JFK for our flight home. I read on another site that someone posted they had to wait two hours for a cab. Does anyone know the availability of cabs or shuttles for this route. All other ports we've sailed into there was no problem at all. Just want to make sure we make it to the airport in time for our 1:00 flight home.:eek:

When we disembark our ship at the Manhattan Cruise terminal (in October) we will immediately be going to JFK for our flight home. I read on another site that someone posted they had to wait two hours for a cab. Does anyone know the availability of cabs or shuttles for this route. All other ports we've sailed into there was no problem at all. Just want to make sure we make it to the airport in time for our 1:00 flight home.:eek:

Follow the crowd out of the terminal, cross the street and there will be a line of cabs a mile long waiting.

If there are more than 2 people with luggage you might have to grab 2 cabs or try and haggle with one of the big SUVs that will also be nearby.

There will not be a two hour wait for a cab. There will be yellow taxis all up and down 12th Ave. No problem getting to JFK in time. Do self disembark and all is good.

Have a great cruise!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Follow the crowd out of the terminal, cross the street and there will be a line of cabs a mile long waiting.

If there are more than 2 people with luggage you might have to grab 2 cabs or try and haggle with one of the big SUVs that will also be nearby.

IMO its a problem to "haggle" with one of the hustlers who might be waiting to snag some tourist or even a New Yorker. Besides the fact that its illegal, these hustlers are very good at their business and when you get to where you want to go have been known to overcharge...and you have a time constraints as well.

If you are concerned about whether there will be enough cabs arrange to call a car service(carmellimo, dial 7 etc) as you get off but before you enter the customs hall(as its against the rules to use your cell phone there). It costs about the same for a nicer car and they will meet you and tell you where they will be.

see for instance http://www.carmellimo.com or http://www.dial7.com/ see if they have coupons for you too.

On my last 2 cruises disembarking in NYC, my wait time for a cab ranged from 5-10 minutes. I can't imagine a 2-hr wait. I think a half-hour wait is reasonably possible, but something's not right with that account.

Thanks everyone for the info. I did think that it was a little strange after reading that post about a two hour wait. Maybe she was wearing her invisible outfit that day. I mean this is NYC - the city of cabs.:p

Thanks everyone for the info. I did think that it was a little strange after reading that post about a two hour wait. Maybe she was wearing her invisible outfit that day. I mean this is NYC - the city of cabs.:p

Can you link to that post? Nobody has ever mentioned a problem getting a cab in NYC after a cruise.

I saw this as a review when I googled " Manhattan Cruise Terminal". Screen name peakay 79. Was posted 1 month ago. Maybe she just had cruise lag and was totally confused when her sea legs hit the ground.

Edited by bmwjeanne

Just ignore the hustlers that will descend upon you when you are crossing the street. Look for the line of cabs to the south of the corner. There will be a kiosk with an official NYC cabbie man/woman directing everyone to cabs. I know LGA was around 38 bucks, including toll. No worries at all - JFK won't be much more.....

you mentioned October - what date? Please be aware that the MS Bike Tour is Sunday October 5th which will present definite traffic problems getting to/from port. That said, you still won't have a 2 hour wait to get a cab out of there! Just wanted to mention the bike tour because we sailed that weekend once and it doubled the amount of time it took to get to the pier.

Have fun! Sailing in October is awesome.

JFK has a flat rate:

John F. Kennedy International Airport

- The TLC has established a "Flat Fare" program for trips to and from JFK and Manhattan. The flat fare is $52.00 plus any tolls. There is no set fare to or from JFK to any point in New York City outside of Manhattan, and the metered rate applies.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/faq/faq_pass.shtml#10

JFK has a flat rate:

John F. Kennedy International Airport

- The TLC has established a "Flat Fare" program for trips to and from JFK and Manhattan. The flat fare is $52.00 plus any tolls. There is no set fare to or from JFK to any point in New York City outside of Manhattan, and the metered rate applies.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/faq/faq_pass.shtml#10

actually its $52.50 A mandatory state surcharge of .50 plus tolls and tip...most cabbie will take the midtown tunnel to the LIE to the Van Wyck...its a $5.65 toll plus tip,....$65-70

there used to be a train to the plane for JFKbut now you take the regular train and then change to the Airtrain. Its better and faster to take that to Jamaica Station and then change to the Airtrain. The E train ghoes to Jamaica and you can catch it at the 50th street and 8th avenue station - the northbound queens train

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html $7.50 pp and under an hour.

for LGA you take the same E train to Astoria and change for the express airport bus

Q70 Limited or Q47 buses. Connections to the E, F, M, R and 7 trains on the New York City subway are available at Roosevelt Avenue/74th Street

$2.50 pp with metro pass and a free transfer to the bus(buy the metropass for $5.00 and use it for both of you up to 4 people can use the same metropass).

and finally to EWR from NYC Penn Station or Newark, take NJ TRANSIT(less expensive) or Amtrak to Newark Liberty International Airport Station. It takes about five minutes to get from AirTrain to the train platforms and between seven and 11 minutes to get to your terminal, depending on the terminal. I think its about $12.00 pp

http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servl...tConnectionsTo

LGA by yellow cab is about 20 minutes from the Cruise terminal and $40 or so. JFK is about 45 minutes and about $70 and EWR by cab is about $80 and 45 minutes. per cab not per person...

Car services are about the same amount(a little less to to EWR)

Edited by smeyer418

you mentioned October - what date? Please be aware that the MS Bike Tour is Sunday October 5th which will present definite traffic problems getting to/from port. That said, you still won't have a 2 hour wait to get a cab out of there! Just wanted to mention the bike tour because we sailed that weekend once and it doubled the amount of time it took to get to the pier.

Have fun! Sailing in October is awesome.

Thanks for the info. Thank goodness we are returning the following Saturday the 11th.:D

It can also depend on which level you disembark. It only happened once, but after an NCL cruise the Manhattan port personnel directed us to street level. I just hopped into the first elevator I saw and went back up to the concourse, found the taxi lady giving out tickets, and got in line. I waited maybe 15 minutes before it was my turn for a taxi, and it would have been much longer than that had I stayed down at the street.

NCL's website has information on transfers from the cruise terminal to the airport.

Transfers Between Airport & Cruise Pier

Norwegian offers ground transfers between the airport and the pier and vice versa. If you’ve made your own flight arrangements to your cruise embarkation city and want to avoid the hassle of waiting for a taxi, call us and we'll send a Norwegian representative to the airport to assist you with getting to your destination. To arrange for transfers, have your airline documentation ready and call our Reservation Department.

Call 800.327.7030 to make transfer arrangements

If you've made your cruise reservation through a travel agency, please contact your agent directly to make transfer arrangements.

Important Information about Norwegian Cruise Line Ground Transfers

Airport to pier transfers or vice versa are available for purchase for all guests.

A Norwegian Cruise Line representative will meet you in the baggage claim area for domestic flights and outside of customs for international flights to assist with transportation to the ship or hotel (if applicable).

For cruise-only guests booking your own return flights, we suggest a departure time no less than six hours after the announced arrival time of the ship.

All guests who purchase transfers will receive a transfer voucher with their eDocs.

Very helpful information. We are flying into JFK,so will take a taxi to the port. After the cruise, we are staying a few extra days in New York City. The taxi just seems easier in most ways and the price is the best as far as cost....NCL transfers are 40.00per person and the shuttles run about 35.00 per person...so a 55.00 or so cab ride is still a bargain. Thanks!!

Very helpful information. We are flying into JFK,so will take a taxi to the port. After the cruise, we are staying a few extra days in New York City. The taxi just seems easier in most ways and the price is the best as far as cost....NCL transfers are 40.00per person and the shuttles run about 35.00 per person...so a 55.00 or so cab ride is still a bargain. Thanks!!

super shuttle which is not highly thought of here charges $16.00pp http://www.supershuttle.com/

Edited by smeyer418