Delta Seat Assignments

parrotfeathers

I realize the answer to my question is "because they can" but it is still very aggravating. I made my reservations with Delta for my September cruise very early on. But, Delta keeps changing my seat assignment further and further to the rear on my flights. I started out in row 14 and have been moved 3 times. And the middle seat is still vacant. So, using the reasoning that you can pick a better seat the earlier you reserve is hogwash.

Perhaps I've been really fortunate, but I've never had Delta change my seat assignment unless they changed the airplane model causing it. Have you emailed customer service with the specifics?

On the other hand, one of my pet peeves with Delta is that they frequently change flight departure or arrival times (sometimes be only a minute or 2)!!!!!

I just booked a couple of weeks ago on Delta for my Feb flight. They had better not change my seat since I paid to upgrade to Economy Comfort seats!!

I also agree that Delta does change the times though. That happened on our last flight.

Delta keeps changing my seat assignment further and further to the rear on my flights. I started out in row 14 and have been moved 3 times. And the middle seat is still vacant. So, using the reasoning that you can pick a better seat the earlier you reserve is hogwash.

Likely the aircraft has changed. Are you saying you've been unable to log in to your reservation and pick new seats that you find more desirable?

I just booked a couple of weeks ago on Delta for my Feb flight. They had better not change my seat since I paid to upgrade to Economy Comfort seats!!

1. It always pays to check your reservation periodically. If there's an aircraft change, it's likely your seats will change, and if the new aircraft has fewer EC seats, somebody is going to be out of luck. But if that happens you should be able to contact them and get the extra $ refunded

2. When you choose a seat assignment you are really just putting in a request for that seat. It's never a guarantee that you will positively end up in that seat.

I never had my seat changed once I booked using Delta web site and picked my seat and the plane or flight time has not changed.

Now, I have also changed my seat myself at times by logging into My Delta and viewing the seat chart.

did you book directly with Delta yourself?

Edited by Azulann

No, the aircraft hasn't changed. There aren't any more desirable seats or I could move closer to where I started out.

I fly with DL often and can't understand, if the aircraft hasn't changed why they keep changing your seat :confused:

Yes I booked myself on the Delta site.

I think I will call today and ask. Last Nov. from FLL to ATL my friend and I were supposed to each be in an aisle seat (3 seats each). When I got to the airport I noticed Delta had switched me to a middle seat (same row). I asked the check in lady if they could do that and she said yes, they could. I asked her if I could be moved back and she told me I was being uncooperative. When we boarded and sat down, a man and his wife were seated on the same row. The wife was on the aisle seat next to me and the husband was on the aisle seat on the other side. I asked her if they booked their ticket that way (2 aisle seats) and she said no, they booked them together (one in the middle). So perhaps they just have it in for me.

Edited by parrotfeathers

I also agree that Delta does change the times though. That happened on our last flight.

My return flight from Venice has been changed "9" times, by Delta. They have added a additional stop, had our connecting flight leave before we arrived etc. My comfort seats which were booked 10 months ago were taken away from us twice and were refunded by Delta. We tried to book them again but were told there was no more availability on our return flight from Venice. Our connections times are so tight with the added connecting flight in the states we will probably will be sleeping in the airport. I am "not" a fan of Delta and will be hard pressed to book with them again, this has caused lots of grief over the past 10 months.

Not to burst your bubble, but the seat reassignment isn't the exclusive domain of Delta. I've had it happen to me on American and Air France…American moved my middle aisle seat to a side aisle with a huge entertainment box under it, rendering the underseat foot space nonexistent for a flight LHR-LAX - no place to change to. Air France moved my little compartment Business aisle seat to one in the middle of the large Business compartment…

You may not have noticed the equipment change - with Delta, there are still several permutations of the same aircraft type, so while you didn't notice a change (ex. there are EIGHT variations of the 757-200), it did happen.

I fly Delta probably 90% of the time, due to my home airport being a DL fortress hub. I honestly can't remember when my seats have been changed on my by DL in the 20+ years that I've flown with them.

It's the roll of the dice, and I guess I've been lucky.

Well if I should happen to lose my Economy Comfort seats before we fly I would hope they would refund my money if we are put in regular economy! And of course I would be very disappointed. But I would survive. Fortunately it is only a 3 hour flight and not a longer one.

My "favorite" time Delta changed our seats (had times and seats changed almost everytime in the last few years) was our flight from Detroit to San Juan in Feb. We had our assigned seats for over 4 months, but about a month before our departure they changed planes and placed us separately on aisle seats rather than the 2 seat together. Thought we could live with that except took a look at the new plane and discovered they had moved my husband 2 rows beyond where they even had seats on that plane! Called Delta and even the rep laughed about that and said the computer picks the seats and sometimes it "goofs" up. Luckily, they still had a couple of seats left and he was moved into a seat on the plane.

My last trip to Europe was when economy comfort first came out on Delta. I booked early, actually was the first one to select seats. I checked that reservation weekly, but it never changed. However, the day before we were to leave, Delta bumped us out of that seat and actually put us in middle seats, not together. I was livid, but could not get it changed. I was given my money back for the upgraded seats, and we finally got seats together. But, Delta would not budge on putting us back in economy comfort. They said they had changed planes, and maybe they did, but the seat configuration was the same. Someone the night before we left posted on the cruise critic thread that they had just been able to upgrade to economy comfort. Guess who was in our seats once we boarded? I think when Delta changes planes they put people wherever they want.

"I think when Delta changes planes they put people wherever they want" Yeah, they just do it for fun, unlike every other airline.

Virtually every airline changes fight times. And, though a bit less often, changes aircraft. Easy to cite anecdotal evidence.

Edited by Fattony

I think when Delta changes planes they put people wherever they want.

By definition, when the aircraft changes, the seating arrangement changes so somebody (lots of somebodys probably) is not going to be happy. It's not that they "put you wherever they want" per se, ("hey let's screw with this guy"), it's that you're aisle seat is now a middle seat because the 2-4-2 turned into a 3-3-3 or whatever.