Newbie to SS, ?? about Spring Crossing on Spirit

wildcat68

We are new to Silversea and are thinking of booking the 12 Night, 5508 Voyage on the spirit. The trip takes place in April and I would assume the seas will be what they choose, but the weather in general should be ___________________? Currently looking at suite #617 but wonder if a port side is better to keep sun off veranda? The pool grill option is something that interests me. We did this a number of times on Seabourn and enjoyed not dressing for dinner yet not hiding in the suite. have others used this venue and enjoyed it? Also, this may seem silly but I assume the options for breakfast include an outdoor, informal buffet style rather than the MDR? Please excuse my ramblings.

Lots of questions. I will address only those on the Grill and breakfast.

BREAKFAST: In nice weather, the rear (open) seating area of Terrazza is open and one can have the full buffet breakfast there (including special order omelets, etc.) In nearly all kinds of weather, there is a nice continental breakfast available on the pool deck -- cereals, fruits, juices, pastry. One can always get a table, and it's quiet and very pleasant. I'm surprised it isn't more patronized.

THE GRILL: The outdoor, informal, hot rocks dining at the Grill on the pool deck is very nice, but reservations are required. It's very informal, and the steaks/seafood are wonderful. The menu is the same night after night, so one would get tired of this fare if one dined here too often.

Edited by Observer

Have done several crossings on SS and Regent. The Spring crossings are generally smoother than the Fall crossings, but it's always a crap shoot. We've never had a rough Spring crossing though. As far as the Pool Grill in the evening goes, it can be a bit windy and the gals often get chilly. The food is great though and the same every night, as was stated. IMHO they should do the Hot Rocks thing on the Pool deck, vice deck 10. It would be much more pleasant. Temps on the Spring crossings are generally in the low to mid 70s during the day; occasionally a bit higher. Enjoy!

Thanks Doug. I think it sounds like the weather should be pleasant. We did a TA on HAL in the fall and experienced temps like you mention and calm seas. I do know the seas are not always calm, especially in the fall, but you get what you get. I'm sure I'll enjoy any dining venue but really do not like to put a coat on every day for a meal.

As far as the Pool Grill in the evening goes, it can be a bit windy and the gals often get chilly. The food is great though and the same every night, as was stated. IMHO they should do the Hot Rocks thing on the Pool deck, vice deck 10. It would be much more pleasant.

I stand corrected by dougburns. On the Spirit, the Hot Rocks tables are set up on Deck 10. It's clearly more work for the wait staff, who have to bring the (partially cooked) food from the grill on Deck 9. However, I have always assumed that this arrangement was used because the area on Deck 10 is better sheltered than Deck 9, and it is thus less windy (and chilly) there. I hope I am not corrected again and that my memory is correct that the Deck 10 dining area has windows on the port and starboard sides.

We are new to Silversea and are thinking of booking the 12 Night, 5508 Voyage on the spirit. The trip takes place in April and I would assume the seas will be what they choose, but the weather in general should be ___________________? Currently looking at suite #617 but wonder if a port side is better to keep sun off veranda? The pool grill option is something that interests me. We did this a number of times on Seabourn and enjoyed not dressing for dinner yet not hiding in the suite. have others used this venue and enjoyed it? Also, this may seem silly but I assume the options for breakfast include an outdoor, informal buffet style rather than the MDR? Please excuse my ramblings.

Made the crossing on the Cloud in April this year and the weather was mostly in the mid 50's. There was a little sunshine, but it was not really warm until we got to Spain. We also had a slightly rough night, but generally the seas were good. Go for it and have a great time.

Made the crossing on the Cloud in April this year and the weather was mostly in the mid 50's. There was a little sunshine, but it was not really warm until we got to Spain. We also had a slightly rough night, but generally the seas were good. Go for it and have a great time.

Thanks, mid 50's is cooler than I thought. I have now booked it and have a Starboard Veranda Suite. I was concerned about getting too much sun during the day on the veranda. I am very fair skin and burn easily (dermatologist dream?). Now from your comment it looks like the sunnier side may work fine.

The timings are similar, we left on the 10th April and your voyage is the 13th. You may get a warmer day in Hamilton, which we passed about 40 miles south of. As has been mentioned before, it all depends on the weather.

Just had a look at the Chronicles and we apparantly had no weather at all for the 8 days of the crossing. Funchal was high 63 low 52, Cadiz 68/63.

On this spring's Spirit crossing, which left six days later than yours will, the weather was highs in the 70's en route to Bermuda and in Bermuda, then gradually decreased to the low 60's / upper 50's by the Azores. After that you go a different direction than we did. We did have two days after Bermuda where the seas were quite heavy. The Grill on deck ten had heaters placed near tables, and you could get a blanket if you wanted if seats on deck nine.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app