special food requests

jagi

My question is not nearly as cool as a discussion of Escargot requests but I am curious about special diets.

I have a close friend who wants to try Oceania but has recently been diagnosed with Type II diabetes. Friend is learning to monitor her own diet but wonders how difficult that will be on board.

She can choose her foods at the grocery store, especially reading labels, but wonders how difficult it will be from a menu or from Terrace.

I told her I'd ask y'all. She is new to cruising. Thanks for your help! c

My question is not nearly as cool as a discussion of Escargot requests but I am curious about special diets.

I have a close friend who wants to try Oceania but has recently been diagnosed with Type II diabetes. Friend is learning to monitor her own diet but wonders how difficult that will be on board.

She can choose her foods at the grocery store, especially reading labels, but wonders how difficult it will be from a menu or from Terrace.

I told her I'd ask y'all. She is new to cruising. Thanks for your help! c

I am not sure other than sugar free what other foods they would need

Usually it is a matter of monitoring your food intake

I ask for low or no sodium food & they will do that for me

I would just make sure to ask for sugar free to be put on their file then it is a matter of controlling other foods like breads etc...

She may have to ask about sauces to see if they have sugar added

Is it possible to make any special requests for food items---e.g. escargots--if it is requested a day ahead?

Oceania does not accommodate off the menu requests in its' Dining Venues, except in cases of health driven dietary requirements.

I told her I'd ask y'all. She is new to cruising. Thanks for your help

Passengers with a Special Dietary Request should alert Oceania as early as is practicable during the booking process.

Once on the ship, the Passenger will be contacted by a Chef, who will act as an advisor, and supervise the preparation of their meals.

Dependent on the passengers preference, and/or the severity of their needs, special plates may be prepared or the passenger may opt to receive a personalized guide for ordering off the standard menus.

If Special Meals are required, a personalized Dinner Menu will be prepared each day, retaining choice within the Passengers' selections and options.

*For those restaurants with Buffet style service, passengers will always receive guidelines, rather than a menu.

Edited by StanandJim

It seems to me from a number of years reading posts here that diabetics don't have a problem adhering to a proper diet while on board. But, again, notify the ship in advance of the problem and they will do their best to accommodate your friend. They can accommodate people who are gluten-free, they can accommodate low sodium needs, so I don't doubt they can accommodate diabetics. (In the demographic of the typical passenger I don't doubt there are a good percentage of diabetics on board at any time.)

And as has already been said, there are a number of sugar-free items available daily.

Mura

Thank you so much Mura and StanandJim--exactly the info she needs.

As has been pointed out, given the demographics of passengers and the increasing number of people diagnosed, it is wonderful to know that Oceania can accommodate diabetics so that people can cruise.

She was shocked when she received her diagnosis. She is not obese, exercises regularly and eats a healthy diet. It does run in her family and she thought she was being so careful.

Thanks to all for your help. She should be able to cruise easily!

(thanks stanandjim for the precise info she needed. Her TA should also be notified as well, I think.) c

Edited by cbb

Just to note, DH and I are both Type 2 diabetics. Using the Canyon Ranch Spa menu provides some direction towards a low fat, low sugar and lower salt diet. Every day one of the desserts is also produced in a no sugar added version and there is always a no sugar added ice cream. Sauces can usually be served on the side or omitted. Your friend will be pleased with the healthy options and the superb fresh ingredients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I usually eat like a diabetic when I cruise and find it easy to stick to plan. (It helps keep me from gaining too much weight.) Since we're going to go on our first multi-week cruise soon, this is a big concern.

I cruised on Oceania several years ago when I was in ill-health and was actually on blood sugar medications, which I no longer need. I found both the dining room and the other venues met my needs easily, and the staff were helpful in answering questions about ingredients, etc.

My TA has celiac disease and cruises frequently. I cruised with her once on Oceania and many times on Celebrity. She's never been sick any of the times I've traveled with her. I do have to note here, though, Celebrity and RCCL are superb in meeting the needs of people who have to eat gluten free. Fortunately, they're pushing the other lines in that direction. They're very accommodating and the menus all diners receive are coded for gluten, sugar, dairy and other food allergies. Best of all, the food is actually good.

• 5 years later...
On 12/9/2014 at 6:24 PM, cbb said:

Thank you so much Mura and StanandJim--exactly the info she needs.

As has been pointed out, given the demographics of passengers and the increasing number of people diagnosed, it is wonderful to know that Oceania can accommodate diabetics so that people can cruise.

She was shocked when she received her diagnosis. She is not obese, exercises regularly and eats a healthy diet. It does run in her family and she thought she was being so careful.

Thanks to all for your help. She should be able to cruise easily!

(thanks stanandjim for the precise info she needed. Her TA should also be notified as well, I think.) c

Does she take statins? My brother-in-law, also thin, gets lots of exercise and eats a healthy diet was also diagnosed and found this is one of the side effects of statins-just an FYI.

Cbb;

On our shared cruise last summer, my wife and I sat at 6 tops where we were the only ones eating off the menu. This happened a couple of times with different folks. All had special dietary meals prepared.

Even at one of the wine tasting events, some had special prepared foods to pair with the wines to meet their needs. 

On the other side of this discussion, I do believe that the multiple special request meals, particularly in the GDR, is interrupting the flow in the kitchen and the timing of the delivery of food. It’s not a positive effect for all.

Edited by pinotlover

1 hour ago, marzens said:

Does she take statins? My brother-in-law, also thin, gets lots of exercise and eats a healthy diet was also diagnosed and found this is one of the side effects of statins-just an FYI.

Welcome  to CC Marzens

As you can see this thread  is 6 yrs old 

maybe still valid info  but maybe just start a new thread if you have questions

JMO