Need help picking a wheelchair for travel for my Mom

sasha96

My mother has Stage IV cancer and is approved to go on a cruise this summer. We are going on the Breakaway. The chemo has her weak and easily tired. She will be on a two week chemo break at the time of the vacation though. She is able to walk, but tires easily. We are going on the NCL Breakaway to Bermuda.

I don't think she will need the wheelchair much around the ship (she doesn't use one at home ever). She may need it in the evenings after dinner as she may be tired. She may use it for Bermuda. She will only be off the ship for 1-2 hours but would like to do some shopping or sit in the shade at the Snorkel Park. I think it will be helpful for her to get to the shops or beach, where she can then walk around, and can sit in the chair for the way back to the ship.

Do you think a "travel" type wheelchair will be enough or should she get the full size? Keep in mind she is very self conscious about looking "sick".

A transport wheelchair, which is what I assume you mean by a travel wheelchair, can be difficult to push because of the varying different flooring materials throughout the ship. Not to mention it really doesn't handle well on varying types of terrain often encounter in many of the ports. A standard collapsible folding wheelchair would probably be a better choice.

No one is going to give your mother a second thought if she's using a wheelchair. She will not be the only one on board using a mobility device.

As my doctor has always reminded me about using a mobility scooter ...... It's not about being sick. Rather it's about energy management so you can do the things that give you enjoyment.

Wish your mother well !

Edited by xxoocruiser

Transport chairs can be a little tougher to push but I really like the ones with the hand brakes on the handles and that I don't need to worry about the large wheels at the sides when trying to manouver through doorways, etc.

My mother is a wheelchair user, she has the use of only 1 arm/leg so she can not really propel herself (she can for a foot or so at most by using her leg), so having the wheels on the side of the chair don't do her any good.

If you do choose to purchase a transport chair, my recommendation is to look for one with larger rear tires, hand brakes, where the back folds downs, and leg rests that are comfortable (my mom does not like the padded ones at all).

I also recommend picking up a small pillow to use for lumbar support and a nice towel or cloth to put over the seat.

Heat + shorts or a dress + wheelchair = sticking to the seat (regardless of whether it's a leather type seat or a fabric seat - it can get uncomfortable).

I suggest checking out 1 800 wheelchair dot com. Even if you don't buy from them, they have pictures, descriptions, weights/dimensions/etc, plus a huge selection so you can get an idea of what is available before you make your purchase.

My wife uses a transport chair and I am the pusher. We have been traveling by land and sea through Mexico, the Caribbean, and Europe. There is virtually no place we have been unable to go. I do not find the transport chair difficult to push, have nothing to compare to, can easily lift up and down sidewalks and have been able to go over grass as long as there are not too many tree roots. Gravel is difficult but I would assume same for large wheelchair. We have large wheels in back and handbrakes which are a real convenience. Chair has small footprint when folded for easy storage on vans. Chair is narrow enough, no large wheels protruding from frame, that we can often fit through the door on a standard cabin, most recently Ryndam. I can not recall a port where we could not go where we wanted to.

Love this chair.

Karman Ergonomic Wheelchair Ergo Flight in 16 inch Seat, Pearl Silver Frame

Ordered mine through Amazon Prime had in 2 days. It weighs 19.8lbs

Sent from my iPad

My wife uses a transport chair and I am the pusher. We have been traveling by land and sea through Mexico, the Caribbean, and Europe. There is virtually no place we have been unable to go. I do not find the transport chair difficult to push, have nothing to compare to, can easily lift up and down sidewalks and have been able to go over grass as long as there are not too many tree roots. Gravel is difficult but I would assume same for large wheelchair. We have large wheels in back and handbrakes which are a real convenience. Chair has small footprint when folded for easy storage on vans. Chair is narrow enough, no large wheels protruding from frame, that we can often fit through the door on a standard cabin, most recently Ryndam. I can not recall a port where we could not go where we wanted to.

Hi. I'm also interested in making a good wheelchair purchase for flights, cruises and land vacations.

Music, can you tell me the model number?

Sdschwrt-what kind of wheelchair do you have?

Stage 4 cancer here as well. I'm getting a one week break from my pills in a week on my cruise. I highly recommend looking into renting a scooter if the concern is energy levels and not mobility. I use one for long distance walking because of the energy drain and also because my primary tumor is cutting off blood flow to the right leg. It will make everyone's trip more enjoyable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hi. I'm also interested in making a good wheelchair purchase for flights, cruises and land vacations.

Music, can you tell me the model number?

Sdschwrt-what kind of wheelchair do you have?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008YX2OS6/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

Is the link to where I bought mine.

Sent from my iPad

Thanks for the information, Musicsmylife, and Sasha, I'm sorry I broke into your thread. I hope you both have lots of fun on your cruise.

Oh, I don't mind! I see threads more as a conversation, rather than everyone just replying to one person.

Hi

This is the chair we currently use Nova 330 which we have purchased from Amazon. The handles are higher than on other chairs which make it a bit more comfortable to push. We have another chair where the handles are not as high and I need to bend slightly to push which causes me to bang my toes on the push platform, dont know what to call small protrusion at bottom used to help raise front of chair by stepping on them, more often than on the Nova. We have found the Nova to be more durable than the Drive model we have. It is however more expensive. If you are looking at short term use, the drive model will be fine. If however you want one that will last a long time, I would spend the extra money for the Nova.

Her oncologist can write a referral to a physical therapist who fits wheelchairs. A wheelchair can be very uncomfortable if it is isn't the proper size and doesn't have the features needed by the specific user (ex. adjustable footrests, cushioned seat, etc.). "Transport chairs" are really designed to go short distances like the car to a doctor's office.

I'm a care aide and a member of our ambulatory team at work . I would recommend a standard wheelchair, large self propelling wheels in rear small caster style in front. Lots of transport chairs have the brakes on the handles thus rendering the patient stuck and unable to move themselves if you step away briefly and they need to move. Also the larger wheels are more stable and often have anti tippers on the back as the transports can easily tip backward causing head injuries. Now I live in Canada and here we can rent them at the Red Cross. All you need is a good seat cushion. Hope that helps

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Edited by Lulubelle45

• 2 weeks later...

I got my transport chair on Amazon for about $200. Its for a fluffy plus size lady. It has 12 inch wheels on the back which make it easier to push. Its candy apple red and I have named her "Ruby" for obvious reason. It was a life saver on our last cruise. I only need it in ports. Finding places to sit can be very difficult in some ports. I bought a bike cable with a combination lock. I lock it to a chaise lounger or a table when I get in the water.

• 2 months later...
Hi

This is the chair we currently use Nova 330 which we have purchased from Amazon. The handles are higher than on other chairs which make it a bit more comfortable to push. We have another chair where the handles are not as high and I need to bend slightly to push which causes me to bang my toes on the push platform, dont know what to call small protrusion at bottom used to help raise front of chair by stepping on them, more often than on the Nova. We have found the Nova to be more durable than the Drive model we have. It is however more expensive. If you are looking at short term use, the drive model will be fine. If however you want one that will last a long time, I would spend the extra money for the Nova.

Thanks, sdschwrt! I just came across your reply today.

• 4 months later...
I got my transport chair on Amazon for about $200. Its for a fluffy plus size lady. It has 12 inch wheels on the back which make it easier to push. Its candy apple red and I have named her "Ruby" for obvious reason. It was a life saver on our last cruise. I only need it in ports. Finding places to sit can be very difficult in some ports. I bought a bike cable with a combination lock. I lock it to a chaise lounger or a table when I get in the water.

who's the manufacturer? (nova? drive? karman? something else?)

thanks.

Yes, i know that nova makes a chair that sounds like what she described.

However, the other companies also make similar chairs (red, 12" wheels, sold on amazon)

So my question to her was which one did she buy? (nova, drive, medline, invacare, karman, etc.)

Edited by alaska_planner

Please don't mind my asking, but what does your mother weigh? If she is on the larger size, I strongly suggest that you not consider a transport chair of any kind. I am over 250 and am scared to death when someone pushes me in one. I feel like I am going to fall forward, seatbelt or not. Go to a medical supply store, and they can get the proper information for the correct size. If you mother is smaller, a transport chair is fine.

Please don't mind my asking, but what does your mother weigh? If she is on the larger size, I strongly suggest that you not consider a transport chair of any kind. I am over 250 and am scared to death when someone pushes me in one. I feel like I am going to fall forward, seatbelt or not. Go to a medical supply store, and they can get the proper information for the correct size. If you mother is smaller, a transport chair is fine.

she's pretty light...i think she weighs about 150, so it shouldn't be an issue.

we live overseas, where no one carries transport chairs, so i'm not able to try anything out. i have to buy from the internet and have it delivered to our hotel in anchorage.

Mom is smaller. The cruise was last July. We had the transport and rented a full size. The full size was good on the ship b/c it went over the metal dividers in the floor more easily.

what seems attractive to me about transport chairs is they seem to be more compact when folded than regular chairs. we have a regular little balcony room on the ship, so the smaller the chair is when not in the use the better.