New drink package idea!

RCCL should have an option where you pick what you want and create a package off of that. I don't drink wine, rarely drink soda, won't try the non alcoholic cocktails but it's included in my package which is the premium package. I am grateful that they offer a drink package but it would be nice to eliminate some of the things I don't use so I don't have to pay for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I drink wine and vodka only. And tons of ice tea or water. No soda, no coffee, no juices, no beer, no bourbon, no scotch, no gin, no rum......oh well you get the picture. I suppose there would be too many variations for the bartenders and servers to keep up with. So they had to group things together and let people choose from that.

RCCL should have an option where you pick what you want and create a package off of that. I don't drink wine, rarely drink soda, won't try the non alcoholic cocktails but it's included in my package which is the premium package. I am grateful that they offer a drink package but it would be nice to eliminate some of the things I don't use so I don't have to pay for them.

Eliminating all of those would probably make the price of your package go UP. You want to eliminate the least expensive parts of the package. The pricing is going to be based on an average of real-world usage. By including the lesser expensive items in the package, RCI is banking on some people occasionally drinking something less expensive (like soda) instead of something more expensive.

Was having similar issue deciding which package works best for my DW and I for our upcoming cruise. Premium is a decent package, however, for $800+ we need to consider between lack of usage on port days and casual drinking by the pool, would we ever ring up an $800 bar tab if we purchased drinks individually?

We figured a soda package($50) and wine package ($300) would suit our needs best with the occasional drinks (+/- $200) added on as we please. Financially, for us, this would make the most sense.

Was having similar issue deciding which package works best for my DW and I for our upcoming cruise. Premium is a decent package, however, for $800+ we need to consider between lack of usage on port days and casual drinking by the pool, would we ever ring up an $800 bar tab if we purchased drinks individually?

We figured a soda package($50) and wine package ($300) would suit our needs best with the occasional drinks (+/- $200) added on as we please. Financially, for us, this would make the most sense.

Did you notice the price of the wine limit is higher as the drink limit at $12.00 for wine and $10.00 for mixed drinks? The prices are not for "all" drinks but rather "all that you drink". So if you want just wine, it would be more money!!! You stated it would be less, but that's not the way it works. 10 drinks, no matter what mixture of drinks you have is still 10 drinks. So unlimited is the same, no matter what you drink.

If it's a package of stuff you only drank, they would probably loose money on every package which is not what they want.

The company is hoping you will buy the package and not really use it all that much. That way they make money.

Eliminating all of those would probably make the price of your package go UP. You want to eliminate the least expensive parts of the package. The pricing is going to be based on an average of real-world usage. By including the lesser expensive items in the package, RCI is banking on some people occasionally drinking something less expensive (like soda) instead of something more expensive.

Wine is expensive depending on what you get, but I don't drink wine so it's pointless to be in my package. I just think they could work something out where u choose what you want. It's not that hard and they could do it. Oh well until then I'll just get the package or keep my thoughts to myself lol

Did you notice the price of the wine limit is higher as the drink limit at $12.00 for wine and $10.00 for mixed drinks? The prices are not for "all" drinks but rather "all that you drink". So if you want just wine, it would be more money!!! You stated it would be less, but that's not the way it works. 10 drinks, no matter what mixture of drinks you have is still 10 drinks. So unlimited is the same, no matter what you drink.

I'm not following your logic. :confused: The wine isn't $12/glass or $10/mixed drink. You are allowed to order wine from the menu valued up to $12 included in your package. They'll gladly pour you $7 wine...however, if you order a $16 glass with your package then you are billed for the extra $4. Same for mixed drinks...If you want the $15 cucumber martini, you're billed the extra $5 because the package only includes UP TO $10 drink value.

What I'm saying is, I can customize my package to what I would normally drink (wine, soda, couple of mixed drinks per day) for a lot less money and not have to pay for drinks I and my wife could physically not consume by paying as I go.

Looks like you can save money. At least one person liked my idea. Good luck with your cruise and I hope you have fun.

Based on past threads, I know this concept is foreign to some and can be down right offensive to others but I don't care enough to worry about it. I calculated what I've paid without the package and it's close but I figure I'm also paying for convenience in that fee. My last cruise was on Celebrity Reflection and I had a short bout with a stomach ailment. I lost a couple of consumption days but no worries. It's just the price of my vacation and that's OK but it's also JMHO and I respect all other views.

Edited by Big_G

Is RCCL now selling drink packages on 3 day cruises? I heard talk about it and also heard that people were told it was a mistake that they were able to purchase the package online for three day cruises. After hearing everything I went to their website and was able to purchase a package for an upcoming 3 day cruise. I don't know if it is good or not but I plan on just showing up at the port and presenting my paid receipt and see what happens.

They have this already - it´s called pay as you go.;)

You aren't paying for the lower cost items, you are paying for the option to have them. RCI would prefer if you did take those options, that way you would not be having as much of the higher cost liquor.

I wish they would sell a limited number drink package; i.e. 5 cocktails per day for $30 or something along those lines. It's a modest discount off of the menu price, offers a fixed value, and you pay for only liquor drinks.

If you find that on your next trip (or the one you just got back from) if you weren't getting $55 of drinks per day value out of the package don't buy one; you automatically are ahead the second you step on the ship.

You aren't paying for the lower cost items, you are paying for the option to have them. RCI would prefer if you did take those options, that way you would not be having as much of the higher cost liquor.

I wish they would sell a limited number drink package; i.e. 5 cocktails per day for $30 or something along those lines. It's a modest discount off of the menu price, offers a fixed value, and you pay for only liquor drinks.

If you find that on your next trip (or the one you just got back from) if you weren't getting $55 of drinks per day value out of the package don't buy one; you automatically are ahead the second you step on the ship.

I agree with you 100%....K.O.:)