Seattle Hotel

NancyL2

Have not stayed there, but have at the Mayflower park several times and loved it.

its a short walk to pikes market and the downtown area (opposite direction) it is also close to the monorail to the space needle

Ok...if no one has stayed at this particular hotel ..... can someone comment about this part of town?

What I really like about the Four Points Sheraton is that it has a two bedroom king suite with a queen sofa bed. And the price isn't that bad.

Reviews from one of the trip sites are good.

Frankly I think the location leaves much to be desired. It's in a sort of transitional zone, bracketed by very busy arterials/freeways (Aurora and Mercer), several blocks from Seattle center, not walkable to downtown, and probably a little noisy at night.

But I also noticed in your signature that you're sailing on Labor Day weekend. That weekend is when the annual Bumbershoot music/arts festival takes place on the grounds of Seattle Center, around four blocks from the hotel. Bumbershoot typically attracts around 300,000 - 400,000 people over the course of the weekend, and everything around Seattle Center - Space Needle, EMP, Pacific Science Center, Chihuly Ego Garden... is packed, mobbed. The nearby restaurants (not that many to begin with) will be full. The hotel says "walk to the monorail." As if.

Personally, I'd keep looking, but it's your call.

Ok...if no one has stayed at this particular hotel ..... can someone comment about this part of town?

What I really like about the Four Points Sheraton is that it has a two bedroom king suite with a queen sofa bed. And the price isn't that bad.

Downtown Seattle has become a very dangerous place since AG Holder nationalized the Seattle Police. The Seattle police cannot confront any one, as a result crime has gone up 80% and arrests have gone down 40%. 200 Seattle police officers have filed a lawsuit against President Obama and AG Holder that has kept them from doing their job. I would suggest you would look for lodging outside of Seattle.

GLs correct that it's going to be loud and a bit annoying to walk in the blocks immediately around it, but it's only two blocks further east than the Hampton Inn which is eminently walkable to downtown IMO (5th Ave conveniently goes past the needle and Top Pot donuts among other handy places, and isn't very steep a route compared to many Seattle options). I would concur that Seattle Center during Bumbersnoot is probably not the best idea unless you're attending the gig though!

Have you checked Homewood Suites OP? There's one very convenient for the piers on Western Ave, ~$10 cab ride to either 91 or 66. Plenty of big suites, and we've found decent rates here in the past around holiday weekends as it seem to be overlooked by a lot of people due to the rather industrial area immediately around it.

Downtown Seattle has become a very dangerous place since AG Holder nationalized the Seattle Police. The Seattle police cannot confront any one, as a result crime has gone up 80% and arrests have gone down 40%. 200 Seattle police officers have filed a lawsuit against President Obama and AG Holder that has kept them from doing their job. I would suggest you would look for lodging outside of Seattle.

Not sure where you get your info, but the AG did not "nationalize" the Seattle Police, and crime has not gone up 80% and arrests down 40%.

The officers who filed the lawsuit,(125) had their case thrown out of court with prejudice, which means that the officers cannot amend or refile their claim, and those officers represent about ten percent of the Seattle Police Officers’ Guild membership. The police union itself declined to endorse the lawsuit.

They did not sue Obama, but sued Holder, the Mayor, The Police Chief, City of Seattle, City attorney and the police monitor.

It was a frivolous and meaningless suit.

Ummm...not really. In case you can't already tell, this is more of a political rant against the current presidential administration than a factual statement about conditions in Seattle. Seattle is like any big city--there's crime, and the downtown area has a little more of it than most residential neighborhoods. Calling downtown Seattle it "very dangerous" is quite an exaggeration, however. As for blaming the Obama administration for crime here...that's certainly debatable. What aren't debatable are the claims that our crime rate has gone up 80% or that our police have been nationalized. They're simply not true. If you really want to read the crime statistics for Seattle, you can find them here.

Use a little common sense and caution if you stay downtown, as you would anywhere. Don't walk alone, don't flash money and valuables, don't wander around on deserted streets late at night, and if your instincts tell you it's not a good idea to be where you are, get out of there. Nobody can promise you'll always be safe here, but you certainly don't have to be this fearful.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone stay at the Four Points by Sheraton on Roy? Looking into booking for our September Alaskan cruise.

Thanks!

We stayed here in Sept. A very nice hotel for the money. 15 minute walk to Pike market and other downtown attractions. There are 3 Amazon Buildings going up in addition the 5 Amazon building already built. Only felt safe on the streets when employees were going to and coming from work. A lot of "in your face panhandling" crazed drug addicts, and homeless people urinating on the street.

I would stay at Sea Tac or in the suburbs of Seattle, not in downtown Seattle..

I have a question... never been to Seattle so I have no clue. We are staying in the Hyatt downtown. It is really near the Space Needle and apparently there is a bus type thing to Pikes Market. So.... my question is.... how far is it from the train station (am track). Should i look for something on the other side of the city. We are taking the train to Vancouver. Just looking at the map I can't tell how far things are. I just don't want to pay $100 or something crazy just to get to the train station. Not so worried about down town... can't be any worse than the outskirts of Charlotte. Thanks so much for any help!

I have a question... never been to Seattle so I have no clue. We are staying in the Hyatt downtown. It is really near the Space Needle and apparently there is a bus type thing to Pikes Market. So.... my question is.... how far is it from the train station (am track). Should i look for something on the other side of the city. We are taking the train to Vancouver. Just looking at the map I can't tell how far things are. I just don't want to pay $100 or something crazy just to get to the train station. Not so worried about down town... can't be any worse than the outskirts of Charlotte. Thanks so much for any help!

There are two Hyatts in the downtown core, the Grand Hyatt and the Hyatt/8, about a block apart. Both are a short walk to Westlake Center, where you catch the monorail to Seattle Center and the Space Needle; the Pike Place (no "s") market is a few blocks further. Seattle is laid out at 20 blocks to the mile, although some blocks (mainly the east-west ones at the south end of downtown) are rather steep hills, going uphill as you move away from the water.

The King Street Station (Amtrak) is located at the south end of the downtown core, probably no more than a $10 cab ride from either Hyatt.

Edited by Gardyloo

So you mean Hyatt Place Downtown? If so, it's about halfway between the Market and the Space Needle. Seattle is quite small ... a cab to either place and the train station will only be $10.

Since the Market gets mobbed after 11am, go there first, then walk 2-3 blocks to Westlake Center (4th/Pike) and catch the monorail to the needle. if you don't feel like walking baak to the hotel, catch a cab.

Pike Street market is only 4 blocks west of the Hyatt. You may have a better option to stay in Edmonds Washington 20 miles north of downtown Seattle. The taxi fare would be a more, but you would save on the Hotel bill. The train to Vancouver stops in Edmonds and it is a easy walk ( 2 blocks at the most) from the hotels. Edmonds is on the water and there are several waterfront restaurants.

I think september2010 was indeed referring to the Hyatt Place and not either of the two downtown Hyatts.

As with the two Holiday Inns and the Sheraton Four Points, these are all located in a rather trafficky part of Seattle; calling them "downtown" is - in my view - something of a stretch, more marketing than anything else. They're close enough to Seattle Center, and walkable (a bit hilly) to Westlake and the South Lake Union streetcar, but saying they're convenient to all downtown activities is quite a stretch IMO. There aren't very many restaurants close by, and while the Hyatt Place offers a local shuttle, I have no idea of the hours it runs or the routes; you might find yourselves having to get a taxi after an evening meal, or do a very long walk through some fairly deserted streets. There's bus service that I'm sure the hotel can advise on, of course.

I'm sure the Hyatt Place is cheaper than the downtown Hyatts (which are both excellent hotels) and there's a reason.

Just to let you all know...I didn't abandon this topic. :)

Been reading all the post and I'm most grateful for all the info. Thanks!

Right now we are looking at booking the two bedroom king suite at Homewood Suites by the airport. :)

• 3 months later...
What is the nicest place to stay in sea tac, as for under 100$...going in an Alaskan cruise in September.

I can recommend the Sleep Inn - clean, safe enough we've left our car there on Park & Fly for extended periods, an IHOP across the parking lot if their included brekky doesn't cut it for you. Whether you can get a rate under $100 I dunno...

I'd check your dates on Expedia and see what pops up, and compare their ratings (which can only be left by confirmed guests) with Tripadvisor ratings (which anyone can fill out so do need to be taken with a grain of salt) to gauge quality of stay at the various hotels.

What is the nicest place to stay in sea tac, as for under 100$...going in an Alaskan cruise in September.

If it's late September, you might find places that are switching to off-season rates...but even then, the places you'll find in SeaTac for under $100 probably wouldn't be best described as "nice." "Adequate," "not scary," maybe, but Seattle has gotten VERY expensive during cruise season, and $100 rooms are tough to find.

I've also heard good things about the Sleep Inn. Or, like martincath said, see what you can turn up on Expedia. Look for a chain with a recognizable name, on or near International Boulevard, south of Highway 518. Or maybe try bidding on Priceline--you won't know what you've got until you've paid, but that's a good way to find bargains. If you keep it 3 stars or above, you shouldn't end up anyplace skeevy, and if it's in their immediate airport area, you're well-located for taking the light rail into town.

I have been given 4 hotel names for an August pre Alaska cruise stay in Seattle. They are Crowne Plaza, Monaco, Grand Hyatt and Hyatt at Olive 8. Any clear winner or looser amongst those?

I have been given 4 hotel names for an August pre Alaska cruise stay in Seattle. They are Crowne Plaza, Monaco, Grand Hyatt and Hyatt at Olive 8. Any clear winner or looser amongst those?

It's all a matter of personal choices coupled with personal experience. We like the Grand Hyatt because it is connected to Ruth Chris's. We love their steaks and happy hour. :):)

the 4 points used to a Comfort Inn suites and is a nice hotel. Its very close to the Seattle center and Space Needle and would be a bus ride or monorail ride to downtown. It would be about a 1.5mile walk. Downtown Seattle is one of the fastest growing neighborhoods in the county and there is always activity at day or nite. Outside of a few blocks I'd feel comfortable walking anywhere downtown.

I'm a local, but I've actually stayed at the Monaco--it's very nice. I love Kimpton hotels because they don't feel like cookie-cutter corporate chain hotels. They all have their own personality, and they have some great quirks--like being pet-friendly, and if you didn't bring your pet, they'll loan you some goldfish for the duration of your stay! They're in a good location for touristing.

The Monaco's restaurant is called Sazerac. The menu is Southern/New Orleans-inspired with a Northwest flair, and the food is very good. They also have a great happy hour!