Cruising out of Mobile?

Staying Focused

Let me start by saying i lived in Mobile for 20 years so i don't need to know about the city specifically. The fact that i know so much about it is why i'm hesitant to want to sail out of it. I currently live <2 hrs from there and we now have a toddler age son that would be staying with my parents who still live in Mobile so that is the only reason we are considering it. We have only cruised once, on a different cruise line, out of Port Canaveral and had an amazing experience, but we are still very new to the whole thing. We have also considered leaving from NOLA. We don't drink, party, or gamble so all i care about is relaxing, good food and ports of call that are worth getting off the ship for.

With this in mind, i'm needing tips on ships that leave from these two ports and what you feel are the destinations in Mexico and western Caribbean that will provide adventure worth seeing (i.e. snorkeling, hiking, zip line, kayaking) we live on the gulf coast with beautiful beaches so those aren't a priority.

Looking at 4-6 night cruises around May 2018.

Thanks for any help!!

The port you are leaving from has little impact on the rest of the cruise in my opinion. You should focus on where you want to go and the details of the ship. As a general rule anything leaving from the Gulf is going on a Mexico run. If you want something else then look at other ports further south.

Edited by ray98

The only ship sailing from Mobile is Carnival Fantasy, going to Cozumel and Costa Maya, 4 & 5 night cruises. By May, your only choices from NOLA would be Carnival Triumph and Dream. Triumph on 4/5 nights and Dream on 7 nights. EM

Mobile has a couple new ports of call. We are going on the Fantasy April 29, 2018 out of Mobile, going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman, its a 6 day. Mobile also has an 8 day going to Costa Maya, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Cozumel and Progreso April 21, 2018. We like the Fantasy and live in Mobile, so it is convenient. We have also been on the Dream out of NOLA and enjoyed it as well.

It depends on your preference of accommodations on the ship in my opinion. I have sailed out of NOLA twice on both Dream and Triumph. I'm not a big fan of the older ships, would not sail the Triumph again. The Fantasy is an older ship and even with dry dock it's still missing a lot. The ports will be similar as there all in the Caribbean. The Dream would be my choice. But no matter what have fun and go with an open mind.

which ships and destinations do you prefer? I have only been on a small ship on another line and want to know more about the ships themselves from these ports as well as which of their ports of call to "must-do" or avoid. Thanks!

ETA: Jacksonville would be a possibility as well even though its the opposite direction.

There really isn't much on the Triumph that you won't find on the Fantasy IMO, so between New Orleans and Mobile, you'd have to cruise on the Dream to find more features on the ship. We've cruised from New Orleans on the Elation and the Triumph and had a great time. If you can deal with the bus ride (about 90 min each way) the Mayan ruins at Uxmal are pretty amazing. We usually just chill in Cozumel, Paradise beach or people watching, but we always have a good time there.

The Fantasy out of Mobile is now my favorite ship - and I have been on the Vista and the two sailing out of N.O.

What I like about the Fantasy is everything is so easy - and the staff is the best ever. And with the new ports available on the Fantasy just sail from Mobile and make everything ....easy....:cool:

It depends on your preference of accommodations on the ship in my opinion.

If you like balconies, the Fantasy doesn't have much of a selection. We're going in a suite to get the balcony. We'll also be on the April 29 sailing because we wanted to leave from Mobile and we wanted to go to the "new" (different) ports.

We liked the Fantasy but our reason for choosing her and Mobile was the Costa Maya stop because we had not been. We enjoyed CM but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it again. The Dream is newer, bigger and nicer. It's combination of Jamaica / Grand Cayman / Coz OR Honduras / Belize / Coz are both good.

But as I always say, there is no such thing as a bad cruise. You won't go wrong either way.

We sailed the Fantasy out of Mobile last Dec. We don't drink, smoke, or party. A 4 day hop to Cozumel and back was very fun and relaxing. We also live in North Alabama, so we can leave the house at 6 and be on the boat for lunch. Same getting home. The crowd on a short trip like that is fun if you are people watchers like us. We will be going again soon. It is just to easy and inexpensive not to go. As for excursions in Cozumel, we have both done them and just did the walk around think at the tourist mall. Both are fun. Go. Don't analyze it. Just go.

Narrowing down our possible dates to go it's looking like the Dream out of NOLA with stops in Mohogany Bay, Cozumel and Belize. After talking with DH we agree that it's not a huge deal to expand our departure port so i've also found one out of Ft. Lauderdale (less than a day drive/cheap flight) on the Conquest with stops in Nassau, Half moon Cay and Grand Turk. Just based on what i've read in a few short hours i have to lean towards the Conquest for the itinerary. Of these two, itinerary wise, what are your experiences? I've been to Nassau and IF we even get off the ship we would probably go to Blue Lagoon. I know the two itineraries are probably apples to oranges but still looking for advice/tips/preferences.

Is there a way to change the title of the thread since i've obviously gone away from the original question?

Edited by Staying Focused
getting off the original question

If you are going to drive to Florida, I would take Carnival Magic out of Port Canaveral. It has been my favorite cruise. Loved all the ports. We did Eastern Caribbean to San Juan Puerto Rico, St. Thomas USVI, Grand Turk, and Amber Cove in DR). The Eastern Caribbean islands are much better than the Bahamas IMO.

Narrowing down our possible dates to go it's looking like the Dream out of NOLA with stops in Mohogany Bay, Cozumel and Belize. After talking with DH we agree that it's not a huge deal to expand our departure port so i've also found one out of Ft. Lauderdale (less than a day drive/cheap flight) on the Conquest with stops in Nassau, Half moon Cay and Grand Turk. Just based on what i've read in a few short hours i have to lean towards the Conquest for the itinerary. Of these two, itinerary wise, what are your experiences? I've been to Nassau and IF we even get off the ship we would probably go to Blue Lagoon. I know the two itineraries are probably apples to oranges but still looking for advice/tips/preferences.

Is there a way to change the title of the thread since i've obviously gone away from the original question?

Mahogany Bay, Cozumel and Belize is a much more interesting itinerary than Nassau, HMC, and Grand Turk, if destination is important to you, with HMC being a possible exception. Just my two cents.