How Rough is Windstar out of Barbados?

konabear

I am trying to make a last minute decision regarding a cruise on the Windstar out of Barbados in mid-late February. It is a private charter going to Antigua, St. Barth's, Guadeloupe, St. Lucia-Pigeon Island and Bequia. FYI: The smallest ship I have ever been on was the Paul Gauguin which my wife and I loved. Our company's travel director who has been on Windstar several times says that the first night and the next day at sea are usually extremely rough, as well as the last night into Barbados, but as long as we take something for seasickness we should be fine. She also mentioned that on the last two Windstar cruises out of Barbados that she was on, they closed the upper deck on a few evenings. I've always wanted to go on a Windstar cruise, but am concerned about this specific itinerary. Is it really that rough in and out of Barbados, and what do some of you experts think about the above itinerary? I really don't want to go on a cruise where we may be battling seasickness and are stuck in a cabin for two out of our 7 days. Thank you in advance for any help or guidance you can provide.

Hi, we have sailed out of Barbados 4 times with Windstar Cruises, 3 with the Windsurf and 1 with the Windstar. We have never had rough seas, we have never had rough seas in the Caribbean and combining St. Thomas and St Martin on Windstar Cruises add an additional 5 times and again never rough seas. I have to get my sea legs so at the beginning of a cruise I am apt to feel the seas but never in the Caribbean. Then again it is the ocean and we do not have control. I have also done 2 Trans -Atlantics no problem, I think the ships have great stabilizers and I think the captain is always adjusting the course. I hope you try out the ship for it is wonderful in every way. The ports you are going to are terrific. Go, do not worry and have fun, take your wrist bands and anti-seasick pills and hope for the best. If you are prone to seasickness in the dining room make sure sit center ship that will help.Remember the lower down on the boat you are and center ship you will feel less movement and last advice eat saltines. Most of all have fun. Susanne

We went in March last time... if it was any indication there was no rough. The nice thing about Windstar is that the customer comes first and they will avoid rough weather. Not like the Star clipper we were just on ... that captain.. against the staffs wishes headed right into a storm.... we were walking sideways for 2 days...

WINDSTAR take care of there passengers.... you don't have anything to worry about.

We sailed on the Wind Surf and seas were a little rough but we felt mostly rolling and a lot of it. No pitching. No seasickness complaints because I think most of the passengers are seasoned cruisers. We were on Deck 1 and the water was constantly lapping at our portholes.

• 4 months later...
Will be on Wind Star out of Barbados tomorrow, will let you know what we experience upon return.

Looking into a cruise out of Barbados with Wind Star and would like your appreciation of the cruise and the seas in particular. Been on Windsurf twice but did not encounter rough seas. What about Wind Star^

Thanks

I have done 8 Caribbean cruises with Windstsr Cruises on all ships and ports, Barbados 5 times, and have never encountered rough seas in the Caribbean in the winter. Maybe lucky, but also bare boated and sailed with my father in the Caribbean, the same, you should be fine. I adore sailing the Caribbean, now with Windstar I do not have to work! Have fun. Susanne

Have done the Barbados-Barbados cruise twice, once on Wind Spirit and once on Wind Star.

The first time on Wind Spirit we sailed straight from Grenada to Barbados across the open water and it was somewhat rocky but not terrible. They have since changed the itinerary so you travel from Grenada to Tobago Cays and Bequia then on to Barbados. On our second trip which was with the itinerary change it was fine - not rocky at all.

Of course, there's never any real guarantee that you will not hit heavy seas! But I think, generally, it will be just fine.

This is such a great itinerary!

In February 2011 we did back-to-back cruises on the Wind Surf out of Barbabos. The first week we had no rough seas but the second week the first 4 days had many peple in their cabins with sea sickness because of the rough seas. It's not about the ship you are on but the weather and the direction the wind is blowing. We didn't have any problems but we took Bonine each day just in case.

On our Windstar Barbados-Barbados cruise the first and last days (going from and back to Barbados) were extremely rough.

The first night we were actually rolling in our bed, items were falling off the counter and in the fridge. The last day, a sea day, there were many people who were not feeling well. We stayed on deck (and had grilled cheeses with ginger ale :)) and we were fine.

We would do this cruise again as we don't really get sea sick.