Mahogany Bay

CruiseFan3035

We've been there twice. Both times we went ziplining right off the port there down to the beach. Then spent the afternoon at the beach for free. (Not including the fresh cut coconut and chips and salsa we bought of course). It is our favorite and most laid back and inexpensive port.

Mahogany Bay is just the port there at the cruise pier. It's pretty nice, but crowded since a lot of people don't adventure out of the cruise port.

It has a huge beach, you can get clam shell chairs or just regular loungers. There's plenty of places to eat and drink there and of course shopping.

There's snorkeling down at the end by the other pier and a lot of people go down there to jump off the pier and have a blast.

They do have things that you can rent like kayaks and stuff.

HERE is a link to my pictures from there if you are interested.

They do have a sky ride over to the beach, but it's easy to just walk it and save the money...unless you just want to do it for the experience or pictures. :)

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do at Mahogany Bay that what cost a huge fortune?

Do yourself a favor and check out Victor bodden tours in Roatan.You will thank me later its a wonderful island(our favorite by far) that the man made cruise port beach just doesn't do it justice.

http://www.boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm

This is what we do.Its a private driver and tour for the day and they will do anything you want we usually drive around the island do some shopping and wind up at the beach and getting some lunch

this is west bay beach in Roatan where we snorkel

We have been about a half dozen times and love it every visit

Your pictures came out great, what kind of camera do you use? We are thinking of using our tax refund to get a nice camera since we are cruising so much now. I don't want to rely on my phone for pictures to all these amazing ports. I have no clue where to even begin with cameras, though.

Your pictures came out great, what kind of camera do you use? We are thinking of using our tax refund to get a nice camera since we are cruising so much now. I don't want to rely on my phone for pictures to all these amazing ports. I have no clue where to even begin with cameras, though.

I'm not sure if that question is directed at me or not. If it is, then I have 2 cameras. Both are Olympus Tough cameras and the models are 620 and 830. They have a lot of different models out there. I love them. They take excellent pictures on land and under water. They have a lot of the neat "extra" features too like doing tilt shift pictures...which I love. :)

As for the OP, I have several different reviews of things to do in Roatan since we have been here several times. As others mentioned other places as well. However, the OP said they wanted something that wouldn't cost much and anything you do outside the port (LFK, a private tour and so on), is going to cost...which is why I didn't mention it. :)

Do yourself a favor and check out Victor bodden tours in Roatan.You will thank me later its a wonderful island(our favorite by far) that the man made cruise port beach just doesn't do it justice.

http://www.boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm

This is what we do.Its a private driver and tour for the day and they will do anything you want we usually drive around the island do some shopping and wind up at the beach and getting some lunch

this is west bay beach in Roatan where we snorkel

We have been about a half dozen times and love it every visit

^^^^^^

This

We've used Victor Bodden twice and am very pleased with the experience.

Mahogany Bay is a joke! Is a crowded, overpriced, man made profit center for Carnival. The clamshell loungers were crowded so close to one another if you weren't on the front row you couldn't see anything in front of you but another clamshell. Same went for the loungers.

The food was overpriced. $13 for Jerk Chicken. Not a good value when you consider the food is free on Carnivals other island, Half Moon Cay.

Do your self a favor and get out of the cruise port and see what the real Roatan has to offer.

^^^^^^

This

We've used Victor Bodden twice and am very pleased with the experience.

Mahogany Bay is a joke! Is a crowded, overpriced, man made profit center for Carnival. The clamshell loungers were crowded so close to one another if you weren't on the front row you couldn't see anything in front of you but another clamshell. Same went for the loungers.

The food was overpriced. $13 for Jerk Chicken. Not a good value when you consider the food is free on Carnivals other island, Half Moon Cay.

Do your self a favor and get out of the cruise port and see what the real Roatan has to offer.

I just wanted to elaborate on this...

Here's a picture of what this poster is talking about...

IMG_0553-L.jpg

This will be your view from the chairs:

IMG_0554-L.jpg

We did not stay here when we went, but my oldest daughter and her bf did (due to issues with my grandson, she didn't join us at Little French Key).

They said they had a good time snorkeling over by the pier and swimming, but I can guarantee they didn't have the time we did by getting out of the port.

This place was super crowded...even by the time we got there toward the end of the day. Most people had packed up and went back to the ship (as evidenced by all the empty chairs and clam chairs when we arrived back in port) and it was still pack IMO.

IMG_0544-L.jpg

The only other thing that I can add is that my daughter said they spent over $100 for food and drinks that day and she couldn't believe just how expensive it was to eat there.

But then again, it's a "free" port (other than the food and drinks), so if you are trying to do a free day, it's not a bad beach...just crowded. :o

Thanks for all the replies. We're not looking to spend no money, but just didn't want to spend a few hundred bucks as there will be 4 of us. Anymore input on Little French Key.

For $20/pp you can get a cab to West Bay or West Bay Beach. The driver/cab will stay nearby all day to bring you back.

Food is very reasonable. Beach Chairs $10/day. Gorgeous beach, wonderful snorkeling.

Cab ride is +/- 30 mins each way. LOTS of folks do this. NCL docks at Coxen Hole, which is a different location than Mahogany Bay. Their beach days often include the West Bay area.

Mahogany Bay isn't bad, but truth be told, the beach was made with a bulldozer when Carnival built the pier and shopping area.

Thanks for all the replies. We're not looking to spend no money, but just didn't want to spend a few hundred bucks as there will be 4 of us. Anymore input on Little French Key.

Little French Key is a place that looks like Paradise. It's a definite "do not miss" type of place. However, it does come with a price tag. You can get a simple day pass there (includes all transportation but no food) for around $55 pp. To include the extras plus food a 2 drinks, you're looking at $88pp. So it is a place that you are going to definitely pay to go there. I have 2 reviews in my signature with tons of pictures if you are slightly interested in seeing if it looks like a place you may want to visit.

• 3 weeks later...

Go over to West Bay and enjoy one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Cheap drinks, decent food, and one heck of a beautiful beach with great snorkeling. Plenty of drivers will take you over there and you can also hire someone to take you around for the day (that is what we do). The driver gave us a little tour of the island, took us to see the monkeys, took us to West Bay at Fosters West Bay Resort to chill out, and then took us for some rum samples.

Edited by BrotherCraig

I was so disappointed in Mahogney Bay. The chair lift at 28.00 for 2 people is ridiculous. It isn't more than 7 min walk and to charge $28.00 is awful. The beach itself is so crowded you can't put your bag down between chairs as they are literally pinched right together. you could be in the second row and if someone in front of you buys a clamshell, you won't even be able to see the water. Getting up and down to go in the water was a major deal as you had to shimmy to the end of the chair to get up. The water was full of seaweed and not what I expected at all. All is all, a major disappointment!!!!!

I was so disappointed in Mahogney Bay. The chair lift at 28.00 for 2 people is ridiculous. It isn't more than 7 min walk and to charge $28.00 is awful. The beach itself is so crowded you can't put your bag down between chairs as they are literally pinched right together. you could be in the second row and if someone in front of you buys a clamshell, you won't even be able to see the water. Getting up and down to go in the water was a major deal as you had to shimmy to the end of the chair to get up. The water was full of seaweed and not what I expected at all. All is all, a major disappointment!!!!!

Heard that review a lot. Hope that didn't ruin your view of Roatan.

This is why you head over to West Bay. The real Roatan and one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Edited by BrotherCraig

We will be in Roatan during the first week of May on the Carnival Splendor and are finding it difficult to make a decision. Can you snorkle from the beach at the West Bay beaches??

Yes you can and its wonderful !!!

This video is not me but this is West Bay and right from the beach

Victor Bodden tours is awesome and your own driver for the day.We have used him multiple times and it was the best excursions we have done

We hung out at Mahogany Bay after our Victor Bodden tour. It was better than we thought it was after reading some reviews on here. I got hungry and walked back to the ship for a guys burger and then strolled back. Went to the pier and saw some neat stuff right from the dock like an anenome right by the shore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk