NZ rental car suggestions

calliopecruiser

Does anyone have recommendations (for or against) rental car companies in New Zealand? Obviously I want a reasonable price, but I also want good service and cars that are kept in good repair - that's more important to me than finding the cheapest price. I'll be renting the car in Auckland after my cruise, and returning it 7 or 8 days later before catching a flight home.

We have used both Budget, Thrifty and Pegasus on our trips to New Zealand, Budget and Thrifty were a good price with a late model car - we used Budget for our 21 day land tour of the South Island and Thrifty for our 16 day North Island land tour. Of course being long hires we got a good rate.

On our last cruise to New Zealand for a 'one day' hire we used Pegasus. The cars were older but in good condition and we had no problem with them. Good price for a single day, you should check them out for an extended price. Just google Pegasus Car Hire New Zealand and you'll find them.

Also see if your Automobile Association (if you belong to one) does discounts, ours do in Australia and other than a one day hire, I always find they give me the most competitive price.

Does anyone have recommendations (for or against) rental car companies in New Zealand? Obviously I want a reasonable price, but I also want good service and cars that are kept in good repair - that's more important to me than finding the cheapest price. I'll be renting the car in Auckland after my cruise, and returning it 7 or 8 days later before catching a flight home.

An interesting thing about NZ is that they do not have a domestic Motor vehicle manufacturing industry. Thus, there are no great industry protecting import tariffs in place on imported vehicles, and there is consequently a huge range of odd bod vehicles (particularly from Japan) on NZ roads. What follows from that is there is an abundance of 2nd tier car hire firms that offer good rates on vehicles more than a few years old.

From my experience these cars are well maintained and reliable and offer extremely good value.

For you, it may therefore come down to a combination of price and convenience. I am presuming that you intend to pick up a car in Auckland City (most depots are in the Parnell district, not that far from where the ships dock) and return it to the airport. Many hire companies will accommodate this, without too much of a surcharge (if any), and this would be the most convenient. Remember however that only the top tier hire companies (Avis, Budget Hertz etc) have facilities right at the airport. The others are a little off "campus" but provide a shuttle service if you need it.

The companies I have used and can recommend are:

1. Top Tier...Avis...of course...always the best service and I get to hire their cars at Govt. Prices through a deal I set up some time ago.

2. 2nd Tier: USave Car Rentals. Great service and good prices. Apart from the airport they also have an office at Parnell: http://www.hirecar.co.nz/auckland-car-rentals.html

A couple of things to remember. Damage waiver and Accident Excess. These can be expensive, but check your travel insurance to see if you have car hire accident excess cover included.

One last point. When I book with Avis I know if needs be I can cancel and change the booking at any time without penalty. With the others there is usually a fee for cancellation.

NZ people are very friendly and helpful and I am sure you will find a deal that well suits your needs.

cheers

Edited by Flipper133

We have used Pegasus car hire in a few ports in New Zealand. They are reasonably priced and can deliver the car to the dock for you in some ports. In other ports, they will collect you from the port and take you back to their office to collect the car. They then drop you back at the dock at the end of the day.

Would have no hesitation in using them again and highly recommend.

We have used Omega car rentals and found their cars are kept in a good condition. We have also used Pegasus car hire and found they are great too.

I decided to go with Hertz because I get my Gold points and member benefits, AAA discount and specials and because if something goes wrong I can call Hertz here in North America and deal with my own time zone. Perhaps a bit more expensive but then as I find in America you get a quote and a price and by the time the final line comes up there is not very much difference. Know what the deal is for second driver if needed and one way costs if needed.

According to my insurance agent -- you need to buy NZ insurance as US (?Canadian?) does not offer the coverage that you need for NZ. Lots of good (and sometimes confusing:o) information on the sister site -- trip advisor New Zealand forums. Hertz has downtown location and airport location. Hertz does not allow a car to go between the islands in NZ.

I decided to go with Hertz because I get my Gold points and member benefits, AAA discount and specials and because if something goes wrong I can call Hertz here in North America and deal with my own time zone. Perhaps a bit more expensive but then as I find in America you get a quote and a price and by the time the final line comes up there is not very much difference. Know what the deal is for second driver if needed and one way costs if needed.

According to my insurance agent -- you need to buy NZ insurance as US (?Canadian?) does not offer the coverage that you need for NZ. Lots of good (and sometimes confusing:o) information on the sister site -- trip advisor New Zealand forums. Hertz has downtown location and airport location. Hertz does not allow a car to go between the islands in NZ.

You need to get travel insurance that covers if you hire a car or you can pay extra when you hire the car to remove the excess .

Most if not all the car hire companies will not let you take the car between the south and north island. You drop the car off in Picton (south) or Wellington (north). Then catch Interislander ferry across to Wellington or Picton and hire a new car on the other island.

That is what I have been told -- need to buy the excess down. Not sure what the credit card helps with. I for years thought that in US the car insurance took care of it and then credit card took care of it and it seems nobody but ME is taking care of it:(. I just hope it is all wasted money and I never have to find out how good my insurance was/is.

We are cruising from Wellington on a 8 night fiords cruise, picking up a rental car in Queenstown returning to Christchurch flying back to Wellington and getting a second rental to tour North Island returning in Auckland. Hertz has rental offices near all of the hotels where we pick up.

trip totals: 8 flights, 1 cruise , 2 car rentals, 1 bus tour, 3 boat tours, 22 hotel nights in 3 countries and 4 taxis so far. A whole folder full of reservation slips. May the travel gods be with us!!:D

That is what I have been told -- need to buy the excess down. Not sure what the credit card helps with. I for years thought that in US the car insurance took care of it and then credit card took care of it and it seems nobody but ME is taking care of it:(. I just hope it is all wasted money and I never have to find out how good my insurance was/is.

We are cruising from Wellington on a 8 night fiords cruise, picking up a rental car in Queenstown returning to Christchurch flying back to Wellington and getting a second rental to tour North Island returning in Auckland. Hertz has rental offices near all of the hotels where we pick up.

trip totals: 8 flights, 1 cruise , 2 car rentals, 1 bus tour, 3 boat tours, 22 hotel nights in 3 countries and 4 taxis so far. A whole folder full of reservation slips. May the travel gods be with us!!:D

I hope you have a wonderful and safe holiday and that you never have to claim on any insurance.

• 1 month later...

We love ACE rentals for good reliable well maintained cheap (for NZ) cars....you can get from airport or Auckland city. Have rented for up to 28 days with no issues even with their special value cars with about 250000 km on them. do NOT use drive smart....they lure you with a price that doesn't include GST and have fees for airport, etc.....Kiwis love their cars!

• 4 weeks later...

We are going next year and have reserved with Hertz as well. Who did you get the insurance with? The car company or separate? Thank you

When are you going? And when you return, would you please give us a trip report. Sounds like a lovely holiday!! We are in the process of planning our trip for next year. Flying into Sydney, staying 3 nights, boarding Celebrity Solstice for 12 night cruise to Auckland, then 3 nights in Auckland, fly to Melbourne and spend 3 nights, back to Sydney for 3 nights before boarding RC Rhapsody for 11 nights, returning to Sydney, and flying home. I only have our precruise hotel in Sydney booked and the 2 cruises. Still working on all the rest!! It sure takes lots of research, but being here on CC sure helps!!

Avis and Hertz have the nicest cars and have the most convenient locations. Unlike in some other countries you can't buy the excess / deductible for accidents down to zero - you'll still be left with $250 to pay yourself. The plus side to this is that cars tend to be in better condition since renters will be asked to pay if they cause any damage at all.

Buying down the deductible will cost in the region of $30 a day and without doing this the deductible will be a number like $5,000.

Some travel insurance policies cover the deductible but take care reading the exclusions - it's common to require that you buy any insurance the car company offers meaning that only the last $250 is covered by travel insurance and then only if you've paid $30 a day for insurance with the car company.