Annual travel insurance??

hew2nd

We travel on land in the U.S. and Canada throughout the year, as well as cruise once or twice a year somewhere in the world. We have an annual policy with Med Jet Assist (good anytime one is further away from home than 150 miles) and supplement that with a policy for each cruise through Allianz or similar firm, since Medicare and our supplemental Medicare coverage do not provide coverage out of the country.

Edited by DaKa2002
Correction

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Kindly give me names of few travel insurance companies in U.K.which cover for pre existing medical conditions

All travel insurance companies in the UK cover for pre-existing conditions. You tell them what the conditions are before they give you a quote. (Though different companies have different cut-offs beyond which they may decide they don't want your business, and so won't quote at all.)

If you want companies that cover pre-existing conditions in the American manner, there aren't any. It's different laws.

Is it possible if you can give me the few names. Not all companies cover. I have come across only one company which covers.

I think we must be talking at cross purposes. There are no UK insurance companies, so far as I know, who will only insure the perfectly healthy. The way it works is, you go to any insurance company for a quote (directly, or via a broker or an online search) and request travel insurance, annual or for specific dates. They ask certain questions such as age, sex, and health background. You answer the questions; they give you a quote based on your answers. That quote has, built in to the price, cover for all pre-existing conditions which you have disclosed to them.

We have been doing that for a number of years. It used to cost us ~ $450 per year for the 2 of us for high limit medical and high limit evacuation only. It now costs us a bit more as we are older.We feel that insuring for all the rest of the stuff that plans offer such as cancellation, delay, luggage loss etc. is a complete waste of money.

One other thing - you have to watch how long the longest single trip that will be covered is. Some policies limit the length of any one trip to only 30 days. We bought 90 days as we had some long trips planned.

Call InsureMyTrip.

DON

FOR U.S. RESIDENTS>>>>>Is there such a thing as cancellation only insurance? I sure can't find it. Most are comprehensive plans covering baggage, medical etc. we don't need the medical and DH purchased medjet. But we sort of would like coverage for the cruises we book that run over $3500 each. Especially now that we have three trips planned for the next 12 months.

We'd self insure hotels and air.

Trip Ins.Store was only a little help. Maybe we have to take all the extras?

Edited by eandj

FOR U.S. RESIDENTS>>>>>Is there such a thing as cancellation only insurance? I sure can't find it. Most are comprehensive plans covering baggage, medical etc. we don't need the medical and DH purchased medjet. But we sort of would like coverage for the cruises we book that run over $3500 each. Especially now that we have three trips planned for the next 12 months.

We'd self insure hotels and air.

Trip Ins.Store was only a little help. Maybe we have to take all the extras?

Have never heard of such a policy, however there is a possible solution. A few credit cards (Chase Sapphire Preferred comes quickly to mind) do include some cancellation protection as part of their normal benefits. Even with the annual fees associated this can be a very good deal for those that want this benefit. You might want to do some research along these lines...and pay particular attention to the fine print as to how and when the benefits are applied.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 1 month later...
Have never heard of such a policy, however there is a possible solution. A few credit cards (Chase Sapphire Preferred comes quickly to mind) do include some cancellation protection as part of their normal benefits. Even with the annual fees associated this can be a very good deal for those that want this benefit. You might want to do some research along these lines...and pay particular attention to the fine print as to how and when the benefits are applied.

Hank

Very true.

United Airlines Explorer VISA has trip cancel/interrupt/delay etc. with coverages that rival or beat many comprehensive policies. At $95/year, this card (which also gives you checked bag, airport lounge et al. perks) is a very good buy for a frequent traveler.

However, only things purchased with the card will be covered and you need very good credit to get the high credit limit that would be needed for any big ticket cruise purchase.

If you've got good regular medical insurance including, for older folks, a Medicare supplement that converts to "basic" with international coverage, all you then need would be a medical policy that picks up the difference (e.g., $XXX deductible and XX% copay. Thus, consider plans like TravelGuard medevac or GeoBlue (this one has no restriction on preexisting condition. Cost for two folks in their 60's on a $10k/person cruise would be under $300 plus your $95 annual credit card fee. For another hundred or two, annual medical plans are available.

• 2 weeks later...
Look at the terms of your credit card. Mine covers trip interruption/cancellations.

Trip interruption and cancellation is the least of your worries. What you really need with an annual policy is medical and evacuation. That is what will cost you really big money. If you have to cancel a trip, your maximum loss is the cost of the trip. If you have expensive medical bills and also have to be air evacuated to an appropriate medical facility, that can cost you your life savings. We have carried an annual policy for many years now.

One thing that you have to check on an annual policy is the maximum length of any single trip. Some are as short as 30 days max for a single trip. When we did our 2 and 3 month trips, we had to get a policy that allowed longer trips.

DON

• 2 weeks later...
You can get annual travel insurance from your bank-at least I,living in Canada,can. Check it out!

Here is an interesting article about a Canadian couple who had extended health insurance benefits through their Pacific Blue Cross (PBC) plan but purchased additional travel insurance through RBC (Royal Bank of Canada). But when they wound up having to make a claim ($200,000.00), their RBC travel insurance that they bought for their trip was not first payer so RBC filed a claim against the wife's PBC plan and this has now affected her lifetime coverage at PBC, which was at $500,000.00. If the couple had purchased their additional travel insurance through PBC, this would have been a non-issue and not affected her life time coverage limit.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/buy-travel-health-insurance-end-up-with-less-coverage-a-couple-s-hard-lesson-1.3495864

So bottom line is, read the fine print and make sure that any additional travel insurance policy your purchase is first payer.

We will be purchasing our additional travel insurance via PBC as my existing PBC extended health insurance policy has no life time limits on coverage amounts.

Paul

• 1 month later...

In the same situation as OP from last year will have 2 cruises and one land trip that I would like coverage.. but when I go to Insuremytrip I don't see annual plans.

I too have the United Explorer card as does my DH.

He is on Medicare so that won't cover his expenses outside of the US.

I am.

I usually use several cards to pay off cruises and use miles for travel and points for hotels so that part does not concern me.

So GeoBlue has an annual plan then? Trekker Plan?

Just checked and the plan only covers 1 trip up to 70 days? where do you state the dates for the multiple trips?

Edited by ISLABONITA

I see last year someone mentioned blue cross blue shield as having an annual trip plan that covered cancellations as well. Any idea what that is? I know about Geoblue and the trekker plans but as far as I know that's medical only. I'm looking at getting it for our families yearly coverage since I have several trips planned over the next year but I would love to have something that would cover cancellations also so I can book some trips further out.

I don't want to buy insurance for the trips separate because then I am also paying again for medical coverage which is a waste of money if I already purchased the Geo plan. From what I can find there aren't any companies that have cancellation only insurance and I don't use credit cards so that route isn't an option. Is there cancellation covered with Geoblue that I am missing?

In the same situation as OP from last year will have 2 cruises and one land trip that I would like coverage.. but when I go to Insuremytrip I don't see annual plans.

I too have the United Explorer card as does my DH.

He is on Medicare so that won't cover his expenses outside of the US.

I am.

I usually use several cards to pay off cruises and use miles for travel and points for hotels so that part does not concern me.

So GeoBlue has an annual plan then? Trekker Plan?

Just checked and the plan only covers 1 trip up to 70 days? where do you state the dates for the multiple trips?

I haven't looked at them through insuremytrip but if you directly to the geoblue website yes they have annual plans and the prices are great. High coverage for low deductibles.

After looking further the problem I see with an annual plan with Geoblue is they strictly cover outside the US trips. Would be nice if they were a comprehensive travel insurance and covered inside and outside the US. I know some do if you travel X amount of miles from home they cover medivac services etc. Especially since we take long land trips too. Yes we are covered by our health insurance but have very high deductibles, may keep looking for a plan that will cover all travel. Also this won't cover Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands since those are US territories, something to keep in mind if you travel to those areas.

In the meantime though I am going to purchase a single trip plan for our Oct cruise and probably another single use plan for our Dec cruise. Just not the annual plan yet.

• 5 weeks later...
Has anybody purchased an annual travel insurance policy - one that will cover several trips during the course of the year. All of a sudden we find ourselves with several trips planned within a year - both cruise and air. Separate policies for each trip would mount up but if there is such a thing as a travel policy that would cover all the trips there might be savings there.

Any information would be appreciated.

I have been researching on Squaremouth.com. April travel protection has medical that is primary and not secondary and seems to be highly rated. I need the medical and evacuation. Cancellation is covered by my credit card. Does anyone have any experience working with April Travel protection?

I have been researching on Squaremouth.com. April travel protection has medical that is primary and not secondary and seems to be highly rated. I need the medical and evacuation. Cancellation is covered by my credit card. Does anyone have any experience working with April Travel protection?

Only thing I can add is that this is the travel insurance my TA (Princess)is offering me for $100 I have not gone into see details about it.