Parrot Tree Plantation or South Beach info needed

mitsugirly

I'm following this thread with great interest because I am looking for similar to what you guys are looking for also - we are a November cruise to Coxen arriving at 10:30 with three other ships. I spend hours every night, it seems, reading reviews. It's fun, but I am no closer to a decision.

Wish list:

1. Beautiful beach

2. Not crowded

3. Guaranteed chairs, decent rest room, prefer not to climb down a hill to get to beach

4. Decent food

5. Not too far from Coxen - 30 minute drive seems max

Not important:

1. Pool

2. Snorkling

3. Cost

4. Shopping

5. Animals

What are you thinking about now?

We're still undecided... I love walking the entire length of the West Bay beach. I think it is one of the best best stretches in the Caribbean! However, I'm not happy right now with choices for day passes or transportation :(

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I honestly don't know at this point. I guess I'll go back and try to check out Club Natale a little bit more.

I don't know what it is, but everyone claims that West Bay is just so beautiful and remembering back when we were there, I just didn't see it. Yes it's known for its amazing snorkeling, but the beach itself just didn't impress me all that much and I'm not sure why.

Maybe it was because it was just so crowded the day we were there? The beach was pretty full. Maybe it was a bit of a turn off with all the vendors. Maybe it was because there was just a storm the day before and the beach was loaded with debrie and seaweed that the sand didn't look too inviting. Maybe I just wasn't in the best moods since we had just zip lined and I was slammed into a tree by one of Boddens employees and was hurt with the wind knocked out of me. Maybe it was because my (then 3 year old) was attacked and bitten by one of Boddens monkeys just prior to getting there. Maybe it was because the water was pretty churned up from the storm and it wasn't the best snorkeling adventure that we were highly looking forward to. I'm just not sure what it was.

I look back at my pictures from that day and find it sorta funny that I really didn't take much of the beach itself (maybe 4 or 5)...and I'm one that takes hundreds of pictures. So that is telling me that I just was not impressed with it for some reason. Who knows, maybe I should give it another shot and hope that we will have a better experience.

I can tell you that we only have 1 ship in port the day we are there and that's US!!! So that would be a plus no matter where we go. I know that West Bay is a big hangout for people and others visiting the island would be there, but maybe it won't be so crowded this time around and I'll get a better feel for the place.

I'm following this thread with great interest because I am looking for similar to what you guys are looking for also - we are a November cruise to Coxen arriving at 10:30 with three other ships. I spend hours every night, it seems, reading reviews. It's fun, but I am no closer to a decision.

Wish list:

1. Beautiful beach

2. Not crowded

3. Guaranteed chairs, decent rest room, prefer not to climb down a hill to get to beach

4. Decent food

5. Not too far from Coxen - 30 minute drive seems max

Not important:

1. Pool

2. Snorkling

3. Cost

4. Shopping

5. Animals

I'm right there with you on reading all the reviews for days on end and still can't come up with something. Every time that I do find something that sparks my interest, it doesn't pan out for me. Sigh. :(

Mitsugirly - your posts have been great, as have your prior reviews. Just know that you are helping others with your observations, your questions and your photos. As is everyone. I tell people how much time I spend on this and they don't believe it. I have a feeling you would get it. That the research is calming and relaxing for me is just a big plus.

JFontaine, I share the thoughts on your list. For us, I will expand and clarify...

Your wish list items #1,2 and 3 are imperatives.

The beach chairs need to be in the sand, not at at pool or on a dock.

I want the transportation to be pre-arranged and safe. While I feel comfortable in the tourist areas, the crime factor concern in Roatan and Honduras is significant.

Bar and menu service with a wait staff would be nice.

I know West Bay and the snorkeling from the beach is known to be excellent. A vendor available to go off shore to the Blue Channel would be nice.

Who needs a pool when you have the ocean!

We've been to Roatan 5 times. On our 3rd visit, we thought we'd found our place in Bananarama and always looked froward to returning. However, on our last trip in May we were quite disappointed at how over crowded it has become with the Bodden tours (as well as others) stopping there. We won't be back.

Other locations along West Bay do excursions with the cruise lines and would be overcrowded as well so we won't go to Tabayna or Mayan Princess. I haven't found any of the beach bars that offer packages or transportation :(

Still searching :confused:

I can tell you that we only have 1 ship in port the day we are there and that's US!!! So that would be a plus no matter where we go. I know that West Bay is a big hangout for people and others visiting the island would be there, but maybe it won't be so crowded this time around and I'll get a better feel for the place.

That's great that you've only got your ship in port! There are 3 in when we go in October and that is making a big difference in my evaluation of the crowds. It could be for you that the Bananarama package would work. I absolutely love walking the West Bay beach from end to end. And, the Monkey La-las at Bananarama are awesome!

If I understand this you wish to go to West Bay Beach. What would you like in the way of daypass and transport?

It is becoming unfortunate for Roatan that the cruise ship itineraries also go to Cozumel. I know Roatan is much more "rustic" and beautiful, but it's hard not to compare with Cozumel and their ability with 3 ports, and communities and businesses able to handle very large numbers of cruise ship passengers. For example, the Nachi Cocum All-Inclusive day pass is a "gold standard" for beach days. They restrict their operation to 100 guests and for $55 offer:

Our Nachi Cocom All Inclusive Beach Break Includes:

• All Beach Club Amenities
  • All you can Drink - (Open Bar including: beer, liquors, cocktails, water, wine, sodas, juices and bottled water)
  • A 4 courses lunch served a la carte at your leisure and includes Mexican Specialties as well as Caribbean treats
  • Lounge Chairs

Beach Club Amenities:

• Private Beach of 1980.62 ft² or 184 m2
  • Outdoor Jacuzzi
  • Outdoor swimming pool
  • 1 swing up Bar
  • Panoramic Restaurant
  • Restrooms
  • Fresh water Showers (outdoor)
  • Hammocks
  • Palapas "Natural umbrellas" (first come, first serve).
  • English speaking staff
  • On site accessible self- parking

I don't want to hijack this thread, but has anyone looked at the Grand Resort? Photos look good, menu looks good, no vendors (?), should be relatively empty. Just wonder if it is still under construction. And I guess 'iron shore' means that there won't be much of a plush beach?

http://www.grandroatanresort.com/the-resort.php

Edited by JFontaine

I don't want to hijack this thread, but has anyone looked at the Grand Resort? Photos look good, menu looks good, no vendors, should be relatively empty. Just wonder if it is still under construction. And I guess 'iron shore' means that there won't be much of a plush beach?

LOL, I think Grand Roatan looks so nice that on one of my walks along the beach I stopped and spoke with a sales agent about purchasing a condo! - Like I've said, I love West Bay ;) However, I don't know of them doing any day passes. I'm not sure what is meant by "Iron Shore", but the beach is part of West Bay and beautiful. The Grand Resort is at the end and also has units up in the hills. They are building it in phases and in May the pool area and maybe the 1st building were complete.

BTW, IMHO, it's not "hijacking" a thread when were all searching for about the same thing... But, I'm not the OP!

Edited by cricketts

Cricketts - I wonder why you feel pre-arranged transportation is safer than getting into a licensed taxi inside the port gates? Any car can break down. I don't think any driver would rob their passengers. The problem is the 'other guy' - and that's why I want to pick a place not too remote, where you are mostly on main roads, and of course not flash big rings, watches, etc. And the crime, as terrible as it is, that I have read about is a couple of incidents. That goes on in Cozumel, NYC, everywhere; you need to be smart and lucky to avoid.

LOL, I think Grand Roatan looks so nice that on one of my walks along the beach I stopped and spoke with a sales agent about purchasing a condo! - Like I've said, I love West Bay ;) However, I don't know of them doing any day passes.

I was going to contact them when we got a bit closer to my November sail. I have had pretty good luck getting into resorts that people thought were off-limits to cruisers (I would probably rent a room for the day if it came to that). In fact, I am still wearing a wristband from a resort in Puerto Vallarta last May. The memories are too good to take it off.

I will report back.

I was going to contact them when we got a bit closer to my November sail. I have had pretty good luck getting into resorts that people thought were off-limits to cruisers (I would probably rent a room for the day if it came to that). In fact, I am still wearing a wristband from a resort in Puerto Vallarta last May. The memories are too good to take it off.

I will report back.

Look forward to learning what you find out :)

Cricketts - I wonder why you feel pre-arranged transportation is safer than getting into a licensed taxi inside the port gates? Any car can break down. I don't think any driver would rob their passengers. The problem is the 'other guy' - and that's why I want to pick a place not too remote, where you are mostly on main roads, and of course not flash big rings, watches, etc. And the crime, as terrible as it is, that I have read about is a couple of incidents. That goes on in Cozumel, NYC, everywhere; you need to be smart and lucky to avoid.

I guess I'm guilty of not having researched the taxis and what their licensing requirements are. I agree with you about crime being everywhere, avoiding remote areas and in general being "smart".

However, we were recently in Stockholm (definitely not 3rd world!) where the taxis are not registered. There are many, many stories about tourists being ripped off. Some cab companies paint their vehicles to impersonate those with good reputations. Because of this, the Sheraton Stockholm only recommends certain companies and does pre-arranged transfers.

I'm also concerned about general taxi availability for the return transfer to return to the ship on time - I'd like for the beach establishment to have that pre-arranged.

Edited by cricketts

cricketts,

Have you looked in to Mayan Princess. I only know of two possibilities which may have wait staff on the beach. Mayan and Infinity. If you contact Mayan, ask them of the cruise ship area is what was called San Simon.. it is this this is a web cam you can access to see if it is far to busy for you.

Two other possibilities are Beachers and Argentinian Grill. Hmm I can not find a web site for Beachers.

Grand Roatan is part on the beach and part on the hill behind the wall of West Bay. It shares a property line with Tabyana, the other side of Tabyana being Infinity.

You are right comparing West Bay with any place else is not helpful.

Any of the cab drivers would be more than happy to return for you when you wish. Or you can water taxi to West End and grab one. I can not remember where you are docking but from Mahogany Bay the price is close to the same if you hire a private driver.

cricketts,

Have you looked in to Mayan Princess. I only know of two possibilities which may have wait staff on the beach. Mayan and Infinity. If you contact Mayan, ask them of the cruise ship area is what was called San Simon.. it is this this is a web cam you can access to see if it is far to busy for you.

Two other possibilities are Beachers and Argentinian Grill. Hmm I can not find a web site for Beachers.

Grand Roatan is part on the beach and part on the hill behind the wall of West Bay. It shares a property line with Tabyana, the other side of Tabyana being Infinity.

You are right comparing West Bay with any place else is not helpful.

Any of the cab drivers would be more than happy to return for you when you wish. Or you can water taxi to West End and grab one. I can not remember where you are docking but from Mahogany Bay the price is close to the same if you hire a private driver.

I've always thought Mayan Princess looks very nice. However, they sell excursions to Carnival, and there are 2 Carnival ships in at the same time as we are... I anticipate Mayan Princess and the entire West Bay beach will be so crowded as to not be pleasant :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Mitsugirly - your posts have been great, as have your prior reviews. Just know that you are helping others with your observations, your questions and your photos. As is everyone. I tell people how much time I spend on this and they don't believe it. I have a feeling you would get it. That the research is calming and relaxing for me is just a big plus.

Thanks so much for the comment. I'm glad I can help out others when I can. So many people have helped me on here and it's only fair that I can give back to the community...as much as I can...<---which I keep having to tell the hubby we need more cruises so I can do more reviews. :D I'm not sure he's buying it, but I managed to go from 1 cruise a year to 2 cruises and this year will be the first time I'll squeeze in 3. :p

That's great that you've only got your ship in port! There are 3 in when we go in October and that is making a big difference in my evaluation of the crowds. It could be for you that the Bananarama package would work. I absolutely love walking the West Bay beach from end to end. And, the Monkey La-las at Bananarama are awesome!

I guess that does make a big difference in where to go. Hmmm, you have me thinking now that maybe I should try out west bay again. Before when we went, Bodden took us to a location that gave free access to the beach (we really didn't stay in any 1 place). So how do you go about booking a place there? I have never really checked into it. Cruise line? On your own? With one of the AI's there? Lead me in a direction and it'll give me something more to investigate. :p

I don't want to hijack this thread, but has anyone looked at the Grand Resort? Photos look good, menu looks good, no vendors (?), should be relatively empty. Just wonder if it is still under construction. And I guess 'iron shore' means that there won't be much of a plush beach?

I welcome all hijacks...that's what we are here for...to help each other find a nice place, whether it's for me or helps someone else, it's always welcomed. Someone may mention some place that I (or someone else) hasn't heard of and it may end up being the place we pick. :) Throw out any suggestions you come up with please. :D

I've always thought Mayan Princess looks very nice. However, they sell excursions to Carnival, and there are 2 Carnival ships in at the same time as we are... I anticipate Mayan Princess and the entire West Bay beach will be so crowded as to not be pleasant :(

I understand but you could be wrong... if you ask Mayan if the web cam shows the cruise ship area.. then you could keep tack of how many ships are in port and how crowed Mayan is.

My apologies, I thought you wanted to go to West Bay.

Enjoy the island, not matter what yous guys decide.. I will stay out of it.

Cheers!

Other locations along West Bay do excursions with the cruise lines and would be overcrowded as well so we won't go to Tabayna or Mayan Princess. I haven't found any of the beach bars that offer packages or transportation :(

Still searching :confused:

Wow, I just found pictures of this place and a place offering excursions there....wow, it's beautiful there. I'm off to do some research. :D

Thanks so much for the comment. I'm glad I can help out others when I can. So many people have helped me on here and it's only fair that I can give back to the community...as much as I can...<---which I keep having to tell the hubby we need more cruises so I can do more reviews. :D I'm not sure he's buying it, but I managed to go from 1 cruise a year to 2 cruises and this year will be the first time I'll squeeze in 3. :p

I guess that does make a big difference in where to go. Hmmm, you have me thinking now that maybe I should try out west bay again. Before when we went, Bodden took us to a location that gave free access to the beach (we really didn't stay in any 1 place). So how do you go about booking a place there? I have never really checked into it. Cruise line? On your own? With one of the AI's there? Lead me in a direction and it'll give me something more to investigate. :p

The Bananarama website sells their cruise ship beach day package direct - includes a welcome drink and transportation... Google it :)

I have been researching a few possibilities....anyone been to these and have any comments or where to book them?

1) Mayan Princess of course...would love to hear more on this place and where is the best place to book. I am only seeing Shore Excursioneer offering a day pass here and it's $86.99 pp all drinks and food included.

2) PALM BEACH RESORT....wow, that place looks amazing too and I'm really digging the little island that sits in front of it that you can kayak to. Shore Excursioneer is offering a day pass there for $37.99pp but it doesn't offer food/drinks. Anyone know where this place is located? It said something about east, but I can't locate it on google earth. :confused:

Edited by mitsugirly

• 2 months later...
Just an fyi, when were there a few days ago, there were lots and lots to f jellyfish on the shore and in the water. They WILL sting you! Would not go back here. Just a mediocre destination in my opinion. Food and drinks pricey too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seems like jellyfish can be a problem at many different places at different times. I have read previously that jellyfish have been a problem at Mahogany Bay, Sundancer, Anthony's Key - so both side of the island. April is supposed to be the worst but I know there have been storms recently so perhaps that is why the recent appearance? Anyway thanks for the heads up, we will be aware and keep a look-out at the resort we are visiting next week.

I agree, Parrot Tree Plantation is certainly not a location I would recommend for ocean swimming, anytime - the beach and lagoon are too artificial, but they do have an excellent pool which has always been very quiet, when we have visited. Bar services around the pool are lacking, which is a shame for the type of establishment, (maybe depends on season?), but prices were only as expected for a private condominium/hotel location. They do have nice areas for sitting/ lounging round the lagoon.

• 2 months later...

JFontaine and Cricketts, I was wondering what you guys ended up doing for your shore excursion. I know Mitsugirly went to LFK (I read her great review) but I too will have 3 ships at port so I'm very curious to read what you did and what your experience was. Please come back and tell.

JFontaine and Cricketts, I was wondering what you guys ended up doing for your shore excursion. I know Mitsugirly went to LFK (I read her great review) but I too will have 3 ships at port so I'm very curious to read what you did and what your experience was. Please come back and tell.

We stayed on the ship!

Had a great "sea day" in port 😀