Upsell Fairy! Did you know you can haggle?

peekinglemer

Got a call from the upsell fairy today. First time every. Sailing Ecstasy on 1/12/15 out of Miami and had cabin V40 inside. Just me and my mom. We also had FTF.

Called today to move us to Jr. Suite V27 balcony (obstructed view) for $150.00. I said thanks but no thanks b/c we already paid for FTF to get on early. I was told I could cancel FTF, get on priority with JR. Suite. Didn't take the bait but told them I would be willing to upsell for $100.00. She said "give me 30 seconds".

30 Seconds later we are approved and upgraded to Jr. Suit from inside for $100.00. I canceled FTF so now my mom and I just need to put in $25.00 each for our upgrade.

Probably not necessary for our 4 night cruise but I am still pretty happy.

Thoughts.

Not necessary? That's an awesome treat. WTG, I would have jumped at that also. I will remember to haggle if the Fairy ever calls me.

Yes, I also agree that special little treats are worth the money!! Especially if it gets you such a better room for only $25 each! :)

I have tried to "haggle" with them on more than one occasion and it has never worked out for me.

Have fun in your junior suite. Just so you know with the suite you get priority boarding but none of the other perks that come with FTTF.

Congrats! I was on the Ecstasy last April and had the same exact scenario except they would not budge on their price. I will be back on the Ecstasy this April and hope I get the opportunity to try it again. :) Take pics of the room for us.

I have a feeling this cruise may have a lot of rooms left. When I originally said no to the Jr. Suite at $150.00 they then offered me a balcony on deck 7 for the $100.00. We really wanted Veranda though.

I figured it was worth a shot to ask for the better deal. This room is right across the hall from the room we originally picked. I figured if they said no then we would still be in originally room that we were happy with.

I was just thrilled to even get the call. I read about it all the time but it the upsell fairy was like some mythical beast to me. Hee hee.

Happy Sailing. 4 days to go.

You can haggle but it depends on how close to sail date, how many empty rooms they have and how many are on the "to be called" list after you. I always try. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

One time we had a B2B and they called with a Grand suite upgrade for the first cruise. It was a good deal but we didn't want to move on turn around day. Told them I needed the same deal on both and they said no. Told them to forget it then. Put me on hold and came back with an OK. Probably had to talk to a supervisor I guess.

Gee, wish I could get that kind of deal. Last cruise they called us starting out 5 days before sailing with an offer to upgrade from an ocean view to a balcony mid ship deck 5 for a mere $600.00. No way, said I. They called back 3 other times, even while we were on the road to the port the day before sailing. Still $600 to upgrade. Kept telling them that was too much for us to pay extra, but they would not budge on the price at all. For some reason they really wanted our ocean view for somebody else or wanted to get more money out of us. :confused:

A while back I tried to upgrade on the Dream from an outside to a cove balcony but the coves were sold out.

A few days later Carnival called and wanted to upgrade us to a Spa balcony for $300 more. I told them we did not want a Spa balcony that we wanted a cove and he said they were sold out but he would call us back if he found out anything new.

The next day he called back with an offer on a cove for $100 more and we jumped on it.

I am assuming that he made an offer to someone in a cove for the Spa balcony and then made us the offer on the cove.

Congrats :) I was in room V26 years ago and it is an awesome location! I love and miss the Ecstasy in Texas, great ship. Have a fun trip with your mom.

Got a call from the upsell fairy today. First time every. Sailing Ecstasy on 1/12/15 out of Miami and had cabin V40 inside. Just me and my mom. We also had FTF.

Called today to move us to Jr. Suite V27 balcony (obstructed view) for $150.00. I said thanks but no thanks b/c we already paid for FTF to get on early. I was told I could cancel FTF, get on priority with JR. Suite. Didn't take the bait but told them I would be willing to upsell for $100.00. She said "give me 30 seconds".

30 Seconds later we are approved and upgraded to Jr. Suit from inside for $100.00. I canceled FTF so now my mom and I just need to put in $25.00 each for our upgrade.

Probably not necessary for our 4 night cruise but I am still pretty happy.

Thoughts.

We had success haggling. Although it was actually more of a simple exchange. We received a call offering an up sell from a balcony to a suite for $340. I said that was too much and she offered $140. We quickly said yes. The suite was great for the four of us. Never hurts to ask.

We got an upsell call for the OWNER'S suite when we sailed on the Fascination. Total to upgrade from our OV was $300. The agent even sent me photos of the suite! I asked her to give me her extension and that I'd call back in a few minutes after talking it over with my wife.

We called back ready to upgrade to the OWNER'S suite and the agent said that the price quoted was for an OCEAN suite and that I must've misunderstood her. I told her no, that she had even sent me photos of the OWNER's suite, and I told her that I would take the upgrade for what was offered initially. After realizing her error, she checked with her boss, but couldn't do it, so we declined. :mad:

There was NO way I'd be paying $300 extra for a balcony the size of a welcome mat on those Ocean suites, specially when the original cost of our cruise was like $200pp!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi