Eastern Caribbean Ports Elderly Friendly?

dawnsi475

We are new to cruising and very excited...We have a group of 14 with ages ranging from 21 to 78 (active, yet still elderly). We would love to do an excursion(s) that all ages will enjoy together. We are curious not only about the excursions themselves, but also about the travel to get to the excursions....such as is there any uphill walking, climbing, etc. that would not be possible for the older ages. Our ports will include Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, San Juan and St. Thomas. One that we are specifically looking at is horseback riding. Is there a platform or something to help them get onto the horses themselves? Thanks!

Half Moon Cay is a pure beach day, courtesy of the ship! It's flat...and beautiful...you don't have to stay all day....shoot...you don't even have to get off the ship at all, if you don't want to! Loungers abound, lunch is served on the beach....no excursions needed at all on this day!

Most horseback riding trips will have someone to help you mount, if you need help.

San. Juan is very hilly, and VERY hot and humid. Only you know how that will affect the older folks in your group!

What sort of things besides horseback riding are you thinking about? If you are only doing ship's excursions, the description will tell you how "active" or "fit" you must be to participate.

If you are doing stuff on your own, a guidebook will be your best investment into your port days! Most things are very easy to do on your own, but you HAVE TO DO YOUR RESEARCH! Get a guidebook!!!

Edited by cb at sea

Thanks so much for the info! Half Moon Cay sounds perfect....and yes, VERY hot and humid would pose a problem! I haven't really come across anything else that seemed good for the entire group, but I'll keep searching. We are on the countdown as we get to leave in 37 days. :)

There is horseback riding on the beach at Half Moon Cay. You can find out more about it on the Ports of Call board, under Private Islands. Grand Turk is pretty flat also, and not much to do there in the way of excursions. Another veg at the beach or pool day. I think maybe you can rent a golf cart and tour the island. the cruise line may also offer horseback riding in Grand Turk. EM

One thing a number of people do on Grand Turk is to rent a golf cart to tour the island. The place is small, very safe, and seems to have almost no traffic. You can find out the details on the Grand Turk part of the Caribbean ports of call board on this site.

San Juan has free tram tours that go around parts of the old city. There's a stop within a block or so of the port.

Another thing to look at on HMC is a fairly new "tram" tour that takes you th see the different parts of the island, including the areas where the staff live. The part of the island that isn't developed is, I think, a bird sanctuary.

I think you've chosen a really good itinerary for a multigenerational trip! Have fun,

When we were in Grand Turk, we took a taxi ($5 pp) to town and walked around and went to the museum. It only took a few hours. The island is small, so we saw quite a bit of it on our taxi rides.

We then spent the afternoon at the pool and beach at the pier.

Just know that the trams are often crowded and don't run with schedule. They are useful but when lots of tourists -- and ships -- are in town it may be less than helpful. BTW, there are some good shops in town including discount store Marshalls.

Also, if any of your seniors have a senior pass to national parks, they can get in free, and take three others each in with them. The pass used to cost $10 and is good for life. Both forts in San Juan are National Parks. EM

You can Google Half Moon Cay. There is an information booth after you get off the tender. They have a map of Half Moon Cay and can answer questions. There is a large open air tuck to take you to the buffet from the tender area because it is a long walk. However this is the only ship's island where I have seen brick walkways above the beaches and to the buffet. etc.! Along the walk there are misting stations and an area with big pirate ships for kids to climb on. And on your left overlooking the water there is a small chapel. The horse back riding is way down the beach. I don't know if there is transportation to it but it is fun to see the horses in the water along the beach. If there is a tour now of the Island that sound GREAT! Next time there we'll go on it.

Grand Turk is only 7 miles long. You can rent a jeep or golf cart from Nathan Smith but he is just outside the port area and it is a walk to get to him. His email address is Nathanandlinda@TClway.tc. His phone numbers are 649-946-1896, or cells- 649231-4856 or 649-231-1383. However I don't have the country code. Try Googgling him too.

In San Juan you can get two, free buses with different routes. Get on them on the corner across from the port to the left. The bus stops are well marked and you can get on or off anywhere along the route. WE took one before lunch, went back to the ship for lunch then took the other. El Moro is the fort you pass coming into port and was built in the 1500's. But it is a LONG walk from the street unless you can get their small open air bus that will take you up to the door.

There are all sorts of things to do in St. Thomas. check the ports section here on cruise critic and just Google the ports.

The whole group should not try to do everything together. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. When we cruise with friends we all so our own things, if there are the same, great, if not we talk about our day at dinner.

And, you'll find the same tours privately as the ship's tours but always for sometimes a LOT less!

And we are 70 and always have fun on & off the ship!

Edited by Bonnie J.

This should help you figure out what to do in San Juan.

http://gopuertorico.about.com/od/oldsanjuan/tp/Top-10-Things-To-Do-In-Old-San-Juan.htm

If you culinary tours, there is a great one in Old San Juan which you can read about here:

http://gopuertorico.about.com/od/sanjuanactivities/gr/FlavorsofSanJuan.htm

Incidentally for the time of year you are going, San Juan can be chilly and rainy, so come prepared so you can enjoy yourselves.

St. Thomas is great for shopping, if you all like that.

Otherwise, I'd suggest an excursion to St. John which is GORGEOUS and mostly a national park. You can catch the ferry at the dock.

http://www.**********/stjohn/getting_there/

You might go to Trunk Bay, Conde Nast rate it among the Top 10 beaches in the world and snorkel the underwater snorkeling trail or just enjoy the gorgeous beach and scenery - it is a knockout! $10 pp for an open air bus to Trunk Bay. $4 entrance fee - it's a National Park. A day you will never forget. They have modern restroom and shower/changing facilities at this beach and lockers in case you need that. Plenty of shade from nearby trees. We just used our beach towels and didn't bother with chairs.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/trunk-bay-st-john

Or hang out in Cruz Bay which is a very funky and interesting town with cute shops and some great restaurants:

http://www.rumtherapy.com/2014/05/what-to-see-and-do-in-cruz-bay-st-john/

One that we are specifically looking at is horseback riding. Is there a platform or something to help them get onto the horses themselves? Thanks!

We did the Half Moon Cay horseback riding excursion last month and it was great! Yes, they use platforms to make it easy for you to mount and dismount. You actually do a short "trail ride" before changing horses and going into the water. Just know that once you're in the water, the horses tend to get a little friskier and faster, and between their movement and the water itself, it's possible to be lifted right off the pad saddle! :eek: Didn't happen to any of us, but I'm sure it does! :p

Just because you are going with a group, it does not mean you are joined at the hip! Let everyone select their own excursions. The more adventurous for the younger people, and perhaps the less strenuous for the older ones.

This is a generalization. I am now 76, and 2 years ago, I did the Sydney Harbor Bridge climb. I do understand, that some may have health and/or mobility issues.