Subways in Manhattan

chloe kitty

We will be going to Radio City for a show @ 7:30pm to 9:30 pm. I would imagine that it isn't safe to take a subway to either Penn Station NY or World Trade Station so that I could catch Path to Penn Station NJ. Am I correct? Also, would it be safe to take Path at night to Penn Station NJ? What would be the approximate cost for a Taxi from Radio City to Penn Station NJ.? Any other suggestions??

Thank you for all your help.

Edited by chloe kitty

We will be going to Radio City for a show @ 7:30pm to 9:30 pm. I would imagine that it isn't safe to take a subway to either Penn Station NY or World Trade Station so that I could catch Path to Penn Station NJ. Am I correct? Also, would it be safe to take Path at night to Penn Station NJ? What would be the approximate cost for a Taxi from Radio City to Penn Station NJ.? Any other suggestions??

Thank you for all your help.

Let's see if we can come up with a plan that combines your safety concerns with a cost effective strategy for traveling to Radio City Music Hall. You are staying at the Best Western at the Airport on Friday, May 1, and sailing on the Quantum TA the next day.

First two questions - do you have mobility issues and are you seniors?

Taxi or car service one way from midtown Manhattan to The Newark area is going to run in the $80-90 range.

Your hotel offers a free shuttle to Newark Penn Station, so going into Manhattan you want to take the shuttle to Newark Penn and take the NJ Transit train for New York Penn Station. PATH is fine if you're going to the World Trade Center area from Newark, but to go to midtown you must transfer trains at Journal Square, which can involve hanging out on the platform until the other train comes plus it's a much longer trips with many stops.

Going to New York you should take NJ Transit to New York Penn Station, take the 8th local C or E train uptown to 50th Street, and walk east two avenues to Radio City.

Coming back later in the evening you should reverse the trip. Walk back to 8th Avenue along 50th Street, and take the downtown subway to New York Penn Station. However later in the evening I would spend the extra money and buy a ticket to Newark Airport Station instead of Newark Penn Station. At the airport you take the free Airtrain to the P4 station and call the hotel for a pickup.

IMO later at night your single point of concern would be hanging out in front of Newark Penn Station looking for your hotel shuttle to come by. I actually did this at 8:30 at night in Jan and I think you folks might find it offputting later at night. This will not be a problem at the airport.

This trip costs out as follows: Train inbound - $5/pp. Subway - $2.75 Train outbound - $12.50.

Taxis are always an option in NYC. They can be money well spent. But to keep your costs down, you really do have the ride the NJ Transit train between New York and Newark.

Edited by 138east

5 million plus ride the subway every day. Its probably safer on the subway than a cab anyway. the subways in Manhattan are heavily traveled safe and efficient.

if you don't want to walk through the crowded streets going up take the E, A or C train to west 4th street and walk down the stairs to the sixth avenue subway either the F B M or D to radio city. going back take the sixth ave train back to west 4th and take the escalator back up to the E train and then the path back.

Sid - that's an excellent strategy for avoiding walking the streets. West 4th is a busy station and the transfer is easy. However, it might be worth repeating the route in reverse because it's quite a hike through the underground concourse from the E train to get into World Trade and then a walk into the PATH platform. This downtown route might not be as well traveled later in the evening. To get back to the airport they would pay $2.75 for PATH and $8.25 for the train to the airport which is not much less than taking the $12.50 train from NY Penn Station plus they would have to wait on the platform in Newark for the train connection.

It's really hard to gage what the OP's reaction might be to things that New Yorkers might not even notice. The one thing I do know is that they should not select a route that requires them to wait on the street in Newark later at night trying to connect with a hotel shuttle. Going from the hotel to Newark PS is an entirely different story.

I don't think it sounds crazy. I thought about suggesting it, but didn't because of the potential traffic delay going into the city on a Friday night and the waiting on 42nd St in Manhattan at night for a bus. However, it might appeal more to the OP's overall safety concerns. Also they could go in by train and come home by bus. Lots of options. Bus is $16/pp each way or $28 round trip. Thanks for making the suggestion.

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

Thank you for your responses. You give me a lot to think about. Carol, to answer your questions, we are barely seniors, who are very active. We will already be in Manhattan from an earlier tour, so all we need is the return at night. We specifically took this hotel because of it's transfer to Penn Station, which will be great in the am, but as you mentioned, we are concerned about returning at night. I like the ideas of either the NJ Transit or the airport bus.

Is the NJ Transit a train? By the way, what is an OP?

Thank you again for all your help.

Edited by chloe kitty

Thank you for your responses. You give me a lot to think about. Carol, to answer your questions, we are barely seniors, who are very active. We will already be in Manhattan from an earlier tour, so all we need is the return at night. We specifically took this hotel because of it's transfer to Penn Station, which will be great in the am, but as you mentioned, we are concerned about returning at night. I like the ideas of either the NJ Transit or the airport bus.

Is the NJ Transit a train? By the way, what is an OP?

Thank you again for all your help.

An OP is original poster. NJ Transit offers commuter trains that service suburban NJ towns from NY Penn Station. The Northeast corridor line (Trenton local) and the North Jersey Coast line service Newark and Newark Airport. NJ Transit and Amtrak run from the 8th Ave side of NY Penn Station. The Long Island Railroad (LIRR) trains run from the 7th Ave side of New York Penn Station. If you are 62 or older you can buy a reduced fare ticket.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

New York Penn Station is a busy place. There will be lots of people around at 10 pm on a Friday night. There are 5 trains between 10 and 11 pm on a Friday - three Northeast Corridor trains and two North Jersey Coast trains.

An OP is original poster. NJ Transit offers commuter trains that service suburban NJ towns from NY Penn Station. The Northeast corridor line (Trenton local) and the North Jersey Coast line service Newark and Newark Airport. NJ Transit and Amtrak run from the 8th Ave side of NY Penn Station. The Long Island Railroad (LIRR) trains run from the 7th Ave side of New York Penn Station. If you are 62 or older you can buy a reduced fare ticket.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

New York Penn Station is a busy place. There will be lots of people around at 10 pm on a Friday night. There are 5 trains between 10 and 11 pm on a Friday - three Northeast Corridor trains and two North Jersey Coast trains.

Hi Carol,

Thank you for your prompt informative response. Does it matter if we take the Northeast corridor line or the No. Jersey Coast line? We are eligible for the senior discount, so that sounds great. We are actually going to the show on the 30th, Thurs. I did check the schedule. Where do they arrive at EWR?

Thanks again,

Ellen

Edited by chloe kitty

Hi Carol,

Thank you for your prompt informative response. Does it matter if we take the Northeast corridor line or the No. Jersey Coast line? We are eligible for the senior discount, so that sounds great. We are actually going to the show on the 30th, Thurs. I did check the schedule. Where do they arrive at EWR?

Thanks again,

Ellen

It doesn't matter which line you take, but be sure you are on the right train. Just ask. Google "New York Penn Station train board picture" to see some of the train choices. The lines are identified and the track number posted.

If you come into Newark Airport Station, you take the free Airtrain to the P4 stop to get the hotel shuttle.

The senior train fare from Newark Aiport to NY is $8.75 and from Newark to NY it is $2.50.

5 million plus ride the subway every day. Its probably safer on the subway than a cab anyway. the subways in Manhattan are heavily traveled safe and efficient.

if you don't want to walk through the crowded streets going up take the E, A or C train to west 4th street and walk down the stairs to the sixth avenue subway either the F B M or D to radio city. going back take the sixth ave train back to west 4th and take the escalator back up to the E train and then the path back.

The actual train station name for Radio city is 47-50 Rockefeller center for the F,B, M or D trains (6th Avenue train lines). Just want to clear that up since it easy to overlook it with 57th and 42nd street train stations (I know I have the 1st time around, since Saks is block over...::o)

We will be going to Radio City for a show @ 7:30pm to 9:30 pm. I would imagine that it isn't safe to take a subway to either .

I'm not sure why you would imagine it's unsafe. But maybe this will help if you end up at West 4th (the subway can be an adventure ;))

Enjoy your trip to the city!

First off average ridership is now 6 Million a day, highest in a very long time.

If taking the subway, Tourist are famous for being confused at 47-50 Rockefeller Center on the downtown platform due to how the lines combine (one from Upper West Side and One from Queens) the 6th Ave Express Trains (B/D) are run along the wall and the 6th Ave Local Trains (F/M) run on the center track. This is opposite of 95% of any other express/local stops in the subway.

They switch (there is a flyover south or downtown of the station) back to the "normal" tracks at the next stop 42nd Street Bryant Park.

M does not run on 6th Ave weekends unless there is a change due to construction.

We won't talk about 7th Ave/53rd Street since you are not going there the next uptown stop on B/D which is further confusing to some.

FWIW

I never recommend the subway to tourists if I can help it. It's very safe. The problem is that if there is nobody to help when there is a problem. Regulars know what to do when the local suddenly changes to an express. Or there is a problem at Times Square and they'll announce everyone off and go upstairs for the IRT. It worth it to spend more time or money for a one time trip. Jmo.

I never recommend the subway to tourists if I can help it. It's very safe. The problem is that if there is nobody to help when there is a problem. Regulars know what to do when the local suddenly changes to an express. Or there is a problem at Times Square and they'll announce everyone off and go upstairs for the IRT. It worth it to spend more time or money for a one time trip. Jmo.

You mean never recommend the subway during weekday morning rush hour from 7am -10am because that when most people are at their worst especially when the lines mess up with no back up plan to get to work /appointments. Any other time, people are bit more reasonable and helpful and/or like 'Screw it, I'm going to get dinner / enjoy the evening / take the long route home and wait for the crowds to settle down. At least the OP is asking now and getting advice how to get there and back up plans if the lines screw up. Personally, I think the OP is confusing some of the outer boroughs stops with the Manhattan train stops at 9:30pm - Now those, I can totally understand being dangerous but not those Manhattan stops the OP is coming and going from.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

The actual train station name for Radio city is 47-50 Rockefeller center for the F,B, M or D trains (6th Avenue train lines). Just want to clear that up since it easy to overlook it with 57th and 42nd street train stations (I know I have the 1st time around, since Saks is block over...::o)

The official name of the stop is

47-50th Street-Rockefeller Center (6th Avenue Line).

Radio city is in Rockefeller Center and the Station also says in smaller print Radio City Music Hall.

At rush hour the streets are crowded, street transportation doesn't move well. Its still safer and faster on the subway even during rush hour. If you are confused just ask anyone. real New Yorker's will try to help.

Yes the subway is crowded as are the buses and everything else.

Ask! you will find that people will try to help...

You mean never recommend the subway during weekday morning rush hour from 7am -10am because that when most people are at their worst especially when the lines mess up with no back up plan to get to work /appointments. Any other time, people are bit more reasonable and helpful and/or like 'Screw it, I'm going to get dinner / enjoy the evening / take the long route home and wait for the crowds to settle down. At least the OP is asking now and getting advice how to get there and back up plans if the lines screw up. Personally, I think the OP is confusing some of the outer boroughs stops with the Manhattan train stops at 9:30pm - Now those, I can totally understand being dangerous but not those Manhattan stops the OP is coming and going from.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

She's not confusing. She just doesn't know. Just like if I go to Paris. I don't know anything. Better safe than sorry.

Just ask a cop around Radio City Music hall, there will only be about 300 of them in that area on a Friday night and every one will be able to point you in the direction of the subway. Plus if you have a smart phone look a google maps and enable the "public transportation" option and it gives you all the subway lines and stations. That part of Manhattan is probably safer than most small towns in the midwest, so don't worry about your safety.

I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful useful info. We now know what we are going to do.

The last time we were in New York, 30 years ago, we took the subway or walked everywhere during the daytime hours. I have friends from New York and New Jersey, who have told me not to take the subways in Manhattan at night, so that is why I asked the question here. They moved away many years ago, so I hoped their advise was outdated. That appears to be the case.

Thanks again

Edited by chloe kitty

I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful useful info. We now know what we are going to do.

The last time we were in New York, 30 years ago, we took the subway or walked everywhere during the daytime hours. I have friends from New York and New Jersey, who have told me not to take the subways in Manhattan at night, so that is why I asked the question here. They moved away many years ago, so I hoped their advise was outdated. That appears to be the case.

Thanks again

Thirty years ago it was scary. My kids still remember stepping around homeless folks to get into the public bathrooms at Penn Station and Grand Central and the homeless living in the subway concourses.

Thirty years ago it was scary. My kids still remember stepping around homeless folks to get into the public bathrooms at Penn Station and Grand Central and the homeless living in the subway concourses.

Subway bathrooms are now closed Midnight to 6am, out of 468 stations there are 129 of them with bathroom your guess as to how many are actually open and working. Employees use the bathroom at crew rooms at terminals or in towers along their route, never the public ones.

As to the homeless, New Yorkers that travel late night in cold weather know which subway lines turn into shelters. They are the lines like the E which at both terminals they train "turns" within the terminal so the crew does not have to kick anyone off of the train.

Tip: No matter the time if a train has a lot of passengers in all of its cars except one, it is too good to be true. Don't get in the empty car unless you have your own portable oxygen system. You can also note this by the hordes of people exiting the car and getting into another car of the same train as soon as the door opens.

Truthfully the subway is very safe now even late and over night. Just like anything there is crime but keeping your head about you and you will be fine.

FWIW

If you don't mind, I have another question. When our hotel shuttle bus drops us off at Newark Airport, how far is the train to Penn Station NY?

Also, when we leave the theater to go back to EWR, should we taake the subway, or is it OK to walk?

Thanks again for all your help.

If you don't mind, I have another question. When our hotel shuttle bus drops us off at Newark Airport, how far is the train to Penn Station NY?

Also, when we leave the theater to go back to EWR, should we taake the subway, or is it OK to walk?

Thanks again for all your help.

From the airport you will have to take the air train to the NJ Transit station at the airport. You can buy your NJ transit tickets right in the terminal. Once you exit the air train you will need a ticket ($12.50 to NY Penn station. You can buy your return ticket at the same time. It is just 2 one way tickets) to get to the NJ transit platform. Keep your ticket as the conductor will take them on the train. Total travel time form airport to Penn Station is under an hour.

You can walk, but, it is a bit of a hike. About 20 blocks or so. The subway is really simple and cheap.

Edited by TruckerDave

For me safety is important but as long as you use your common sense it shouldn't be a problem. My biggest problem is that I get confused and turned around easily in situations like that plus all the stairs are hard on the knees.

As you probably guessed I cab it almost everywhere.

You know your capabilities best.