Are virgin frozen drinks gluten-free?

L&J

My daughter is Celiac and I'd like to buy her a pina colada or some kind of fun drink. We have done this in the past without issue. Someone on CC had commented that they aren't GF. Does anyone know for sure or have any experience with this? I need to be sure so I don't gluten her.

Thanks.

from my experience, they should be. I don't see why there's be any wheat, barley, or gluten laden grain in a virgin drink. Just have to make sure the person/bartender has freshly washed hands & hasn't handled any bread or alcohol, etc that may contaminate the glass/cup.

Edited by EBchickens74

I can't help on that but this link may be helpful for other gf info...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1988723

I love that you referenced that...it's MY post :)

I was only worried about the drinks because someone posted a warning about them. I suppose my safest bet is to personally check the ingredients. No drink is worth ruining the next few days over!

Thanks everyone!

Skip the pinna colada and be careful of the rest it's not the alcohol it's the mix.

from Bartenders Friend...

You should beware of rum drinks with multiple ingredients, such as a Long Island Iced Tea—many will not be safe. Also, pre-made drink mixes, such as those intended for piña coladas, may contain gluten ingredients as flavoring. There is no gluten-free-labeled piña colada mix on the market...

happy cruising

It's for my 11 year old daughter. I'd like to get her a 'fun' drink for formal nights.

We have a GF pina colada mix here in Canada. (Canada Dry Mott's Mr&Mrs T)

I'll ask to see the ingredients to be sure.

It's for my 11 year old daughter. I'd like to get her a 'fun' drink for formal nights.

We have a GF pina colada mix here in Canada. (Canada Dry Mott's Mr&Mrs T)

I'll ask to see the ingredients to be sure.

A "pina colada mix" does not make a true pina colada. For the real thing, use Cream of Coconut (e.g., Coco Lopez, which comes in a can), pineapple juice and decent rum like Mount Gay Eclipse. No gluten there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

from my experience, they should be. I don't see why there's be any wheat, barley, or gluten laden grain in a virgin drink. Just have to make sure the person/bartender has freshly washed hands & hasn't handled any bread or alcohol, etc that may contaminate the glass/cup.

who knows what is in the prepackaged mix they use though.

A "pina colada mix" does not make a true pina colada. For the real thing, use Cream of Coconut (e.g., Coco Lopez, which comes in a can), pineapple juice and decent rum like Mount Gay Eclipse. No gluten there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

pretty sure an 11 year old is not gonna know the difference between a real one, or a cheap copy of the flavors.

what about a fake Poinsettia? cranberry juice and instead of sparkling wine, sparkling water?

I also have Celiac, on our last cruise (Carnival Magic) I thought about having a Pina colada, so I asked if it was from a mix. It was, so I passed. I didn't want to take the chance. :( If they were making it from scratch, I would be okay with it, but mixes can be trouble. That nasty gluten hides in all kinds of sneaky places. :rolleyes: