Things to do in Halifax

fingal1962

We are calling at Halifax in July as part of the QM2 175 Anniversary voyage. After 5 days at sea, we don't really fancy getting off the ship and onto a bus for an excursion; we'd rather just get off and walk around. Is this possible in Halifax? Are there things to do within walking distance of the ship?

Definitely easy to do, and lots to see. I suggest that you download Tom Sheridan's Halifax port guide for ideas and maps:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Halifax-06-15-2011.pdf

The Immigration Museum at Pier 21 is adjacent to the cruise dock. Walking north close to the waterfront, you will encounter Alexander Keith's brewery (tours); historical ships moored at the piers, including a 2nd World War corvette that can be toured; and the excellent Maritime Museum. The Museum has displays about the sinking of the Titanic and the devastating munitions ship explosion in Halifax Harbour in 1917, among other things.

A little to the left (=west = uphill) is Province House, i.e., the Nova Scotia provincial legislature (can be toured); St. Paul's Anglican Church, the oldest Protestant church in Canada (nice interior); the war memorial; and the Old City Hall. Further west (=further uphill) is the large Halifax Citadel and historic clock tower, and a little beyond those are the Public Gardens.

Given the distances (see Tom's Port Guide) and especially the hill, you might want to take a taxi from the ship to the Citadel on top of the hill, and then walk downhill and toward the dock visiting various of the places noted above along the way. That route would be roughly 1.5 miles and all downhill or on the level.

Many people want to visit the cemetery where many Titanic victims are buried. That is beyond easy walking distance but a relatively short taxi ride.

Be prepared for the variable maritime weather, which often changes from sunny to wet (and back to sunny again) within a short period.

John

Edited by J-D

Are museums open on Sunday? We'd like to see the Immigration museum, walk along the boardwalk and view some of the historic buildings. is there bus transit to the gardens from the port?

What are the best lunch suggestions?

Okay, I researched some more and found museums are open on Sunday. What I couldn't find info on was the Farmer's Market. Is that open in October?

Still would love cheap eats suggestions in that area and details on what's open on the boardwalk in October.

The market is open year round. http://www.halifaxfarmersmarket.com/

I am not sure what is open on the boardwalk but there will be great food at the market.

Is the farmers market in one of the buildings connected to the pier terminal? I have been there twice, once in May and the other in August and, if I have the right place, their were only about 5-6 vendors there. The website says they are open from Jan-April 2.

Is the farmers market in one of the buildings connected to the pier terminal? I have been there twice, once in May and the other in August and, if I have the right place, their were only about 5-6 vendors there. The website says they are open from Jan-April 2.

I think Jan - Apr 2 date range refers only to the hours. In other words, those are the hours during that time frame. I suspect the hours will change on Apr 3rd. It makes sense that there would be more or less hours depending on each season.

I think Jan - Apr 2 date range refers only to the hours. In other words, those are the hours during that time frame. I suspect the hours will change on Apr 3rd. It makes sense that there would be more or less hours depending on each season.

So, it is in the group of buildings which houses the artists/vendors and the pier terminal? All I remember is a cheese place and an ice cream place.

By the way, for anyone interested, leave time before boarding to look through the artists/vendors. They have some beautiful stuff.

Also, check for the bagpipers when the ship ties up and also when sailing away. Kind of neat.

Edited by pizzalady1

So, it is in the group of buildings which houses the artists/vendors and the pier terminal?

Maryann answered your question but I thought I would share this link with you: http://cruisehalifax.ca/our-port/facilities/. I just found it a few days ago and it's answered lots of questions that I had and some I didn't know I had!

If you click on the map under Facilities, it enlarges the map. Then you can see where the Farmers Market is in relation to the cruise ship berths.

You can also find out, on the same website, where your ship is expected to berth (I'm sure it's subject to change) by going to Our Visitors/Cruise Ship Schedule and clicking on the month of your visit to Halifax.

Maryann answered your question but I thought I would share this link with you: http://cruisehalifax.ca/our-port/facilities/. I just found it a few days ago and it's answered lots of questions that I had and some I didn't know I had!

If you click on the map under Facilities, it enlarges the map. Then you can see where the Farmers Market is in relation to the cruise ship berths.

You can also find out, on the same website, where your ship is expected to berth (I'm sure it's subject to change) by going to Our Visitors/Cruise Ship Schedule and clicking on the month of your visit to Halifax.

Thanks, Maryann and AQ

Okay, I researched some more and found museums are open on Sunday. What I couldn't find info on was the Farmer's Market. Is that open in October?

Still would love cheap eats suggestions in that area and details on what's open on the boardwalk in October.

Hey,

The farmers's market is open all year around. Since September and October are the busiest months for ships in Halifax they will be open.

Most things stay open at least until Canadian Thanksgiving (Second Monday in Oct, Oct 12 to be exact).

In the pier area most things will be open, cause they only reason they are there are to serve cruise guests.

Hope this helps, and hope you enjoy your visit in my beautiful city

:D

• 2 weeks later...

We want to visit the Nova Scotia Hall of Fame museum in Halifax while stopped there on our cruise. Can anyone tell me is this with in walking distance of the cruise port. We are going to visit Peggy's Cove and then want to stop there before returning to the ship.