First Cruise! Birthday Cake?

rfabfive

Cruise Newbie Alert, Please be gentle :)

Hi everyone!

I've been reading the CC board off and on for several days,

taking notes on the info & tips listed here. Much appreciated!!

Quick question:

Is it possible to order a small birthday cake?

We are celebrating hubby's 60th with a cruise to New England and Canada.

I would like to have a small cake to celebrate privately in our cabin.

Brilliance of the Seas - OS, RCCL

Thank you,

Hi everyone!

I've been reading the CC board off and on for several days,

taking notes on the info & tips listed here. Much appreciated!!

Quick question:

We are celebrating hubby's 60th with a cruise to New England and Canada.

I would like to have a small cake to celebrate privately in our cabin.

Thank you,

Here is the link to the RCCL gift shop where you can order a cake...call or fax

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do?catCode=CELEB

Congrats! And I am certain you can get a nice cake.

I had a BD on my first cruise on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam. I did not order a cake but did book the upscale Italian restaurant. When we returned to the room, the ship had delivered a cake. It was so sad. It was two layers of boring but 'nice' chocolate cake and basic frosting. A single simple flower was dropped on top. Poor thing would be in a plastic box on the shelf at our local grocery store. We had a piece but it has gone into family lore as 'underwhelming' for HAL. The Italian restaurant was great.

• 3 weeks later...
Congrats! And I am certain you can get a nice cake.

I had a BD on my first cruise on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam. I did not order a cake but did book the upscale Italian restaurant. When we returned to the room, the ship had delivered a cake. It was so sad. It was two layers of boring but 'nice' chocolate cake and basic frosting. A single simple flower was dropped on top. Poor thing would be in a plastic box on the shelf at our local grocery store. We had a piece but it has gone into family lore as 'underwhelming' for HAL. The Italian restaurant was great.

Isn't it funny how life's little boo boos become family lore? I really don't know what our family would talk about at our holidays if we didn't have those special moments! LOL and we have some doozies! We cruise on RCCL in Sept (first cruise)..we are very much looking forward to the specialty restaurants, one is Italian. I've waited years to cruise, can't wait!

You know you can have an announcement in the Cruise Compass to mention the birthday? We did this on the Majesty for my 50th. It normally costs at least $30, but it was free since they messed up and printed a 50th anniversary instead of birthday.

Speaking of family folklore, that one has entered our family. At the time, we had been married 25 years!

• 4 weeks later...
You know you can have an announcement in the Cruise Compass to mention the birthday? We did this on the Majesty for my 50th. It normally costs at least $30, but it was free since they messed up and printed a 50th anniversary instead of birthday.

Speaking of family folklore, that one has entered our family. At the time, we had been married 25 years!

Thank for the info! What a terrific idea!!

Thank you! A little overwhelming but, reading and learning a lot :)

Don't forget to look over the Royal Caribbean website, especially their FAQs.

My daughter turned 7 a week before our Alaskan cruise on the Sapphire Princess. I put in a birthday celebration in the "cruise personalizer" when I was filling in the passport and contact info there. We got a small cake one dinner and it was so rich, we took the rest to our cabin and kept in our fridge for a snack over the next couple of days. At the start of the cruise, I had asked the kids' staff if I could bring the cake, when we get it, to the room so that the other kids can have a little party, but they said they can't allow food there (food allergies, the mess) so we ended up eating it by ourselves.

Don't forget to look over the Royal Caribbean website' date=' especially their FAQs.

My daughter turned 7 a week before our Alaskan cruise on the Sapphire Princess. I put in a birthday celebration in the "cruise personalizer" when I was filling in the passport and contact info there. We got a small cake one dinner and it was so rich, we took the rest to our cabin and kept in our fridge for a snack over the next couple of days. At the start of the cruise, I had asked the kids' staff if I could bring the cake, when we get it, to the room so that the other kids can have a little party, but they said they can't allow food there (food allergies, the mess) so we ended up eating it by ourselves.[/quote']

Thank you for your suggestions, everyone on the CC boards are so helpful. You are all very much appreciated!!

... I would like to have a small cake to celebrate privately in our cabin.

Check with the cruise line, I have read here on CC that some lines will no longer deliver it to your cabin, they will deliver it to your table at dinner time on a day selected by you. People also said that whatever is left they will box up for you to take back to your cabin.

Also, what if you are at a table sitting with others, some would feel obligated to serve the other table guests, and there goes the private celebration.

I often have my BD on a cruise, as we like to get out of Canada in the dead of winter and my day is in early Feb. On every such cruise, my hubby tells the waiter and our table mates a couple of days beforehand about The Big Day. The waiter always comes up with something special for everyone at the table.

I'm not shy, but I really had not wanted a production about my birthday (very complicated since I was an adopted child whose birth mother died before I could find her). Nevertheless, I have come to understand that it gives my hubby, the waiters and our tablemates a great deal of pleasure to have a celebration for me. I see it as a wonderful gift that these people want to give me.

So you could simply talk to your waiter - who will do something special for your hubby's B Day.

• 3 months later...

There is a chance that you may get a surprise cake presented to you, although of course it may be a wise idea to organize your own just incase. I didn't expect it but when I sailed on a P&O Australia cruise, not only did my waiters along with a few extra waiters bring out a cake (big enough for four people) and get the rest of the restaurant to sing Happy Birthday to me :eek: but there were also birthday balloons attached to our dining table and decorations outside our room. The cake was actually quite nice, different layers of chocolate, berry compote and Happy Birthday and then my name written in a nice font with chocolate sauce on my plate. As I entered the restaurant, I also had a least 10 members of staff who I hadn't met before wish me a Happy Birthday which was sweet.

Hope your husband has a wonderful 60th and that you both enjoy the cruise you've booked! :)

• 1 month later...

I ordered a cake online to be delivered to the MDR on Serenade for my cousin's birthday. We decided to go to a specialty resaturant that night and it was no problem to swap it to be delivered there instead. It was yummy and they personalised the icing how I had requested, no extra charge.

Imagine our surprise the next night in the MDR when the waiters brought out another cake the exact same! No idea why, we played along and sung to her again LOL.

• 4 weeks later...

My sister and I took Mom on the Alaskan cruise in May 2001 for Mom's 70th birthday. Don't remember what we did on ship, but we were actually having High Tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria BC on Mom's birthday. We were very surprised they would even let us in - we were dressed very casual in jeans and walking shoes. They presented Mom with a small gift box with a sugar cookie in the shape of a teapot with 'Happy Birthday" written on it in icing. Also, the piano player played the "Happy Birthday" song. It was such a very special day for our Mom.