Has anyone using Viking Air been able to upgrade?

zitsky

I'm talking mostly about small things, like on Delta, being able to upgrade from regular economy to what they call Comfort Plus. Or purchasing priority boarding and things like that. I've tried with the Delta app on my phone but it doesn't seem to work. I suspect that I'm on a very cheap ticket that doesn't let me upgrade even minor things.

I'm not really talking about the big thing like upgrading from coach to business. I didn't think upgrading to Comfort Plus was a big deal, but apparently it is. I can and will call the airline, I'm just afraid of "messing up" my reservation somehow.

I'm talking mostly about small things, like on Delta, being able to upgrade from regular economy to what they call Comfort Plus. Or purchasing priority boarding and things like that. I've tried with the Delta app on my phone but it doesn't seem to work. I suspect that I'm on a very cheap ticket that doesn't let me upgrade even minor things.

I'm not really talking about the big thing like upgrading from coach to business. I didn't think upgrading to Comfort Plus was a big deal, but apparently it is. I can and will call the airline, I'm just afraid of "messing up" my reservation somehow.

Once we are ticketed (e-ticket, not just a reservation number) I upgrade on Delta to EC if there are seats available. Viking normally does not e-ticket until 3 weeks before the flight, and by then the upgraded seats are usually gone. We have a cruise coming up next week and all the EC seats are sold.

We did this last weekend for our November cruise. We had them ticket the flights then went to Delta's website and upgraded to economy comfort. My husband is diamond medallion so I don't know if this makes a difference. You have to have them "ticket" the flight, we asked if they would and there were no problems.

We did this last weekend for our November cruise. We had them ticket the flights then went to Delta's website and upgraded to economy comfort. My husband is diamond medallion so I don't know if this makes a difference. You have to have them "ticket" the flight, we asked if they would and there were no problems.

Makes sense, thanks.

We don't have priority status on Delta but have flown them twice in the past year through Viking Air. Both times we just asked our TA to contact Viking and ask them to go ahead and ticket the flights. They were happy to do so as long as the final payment had been made. Then as soon as the flights were ticketed I went ahead and picked seats and upgraded to the economy comfort. It was >120 days before departure both times I think.

I did it both times on my iPad... I went to the website because I couldn't get the app to let me do it. The Delta app is really quirky imho.

It all depends on the airline and class of ticket. Many airlines restrict certain ticket classes (i.e. the cheap ones) from upgrading via miles and some even restrict cash upgrades. For more information, Google something like "fare class upgrade" and your airline.

I'm talking mostly about small things,

like on Delta, being able to upgrade from regular economy to what they call Comfort Plus.

(I've deleted part of your post)

I've tried with the Delta app on my phone but it doesn't seem to work. I suspect that I'm on a very cheap ticket that doesn't let me upgrade even minor things.

I didn't think upgrading to Comfort Plus was a big deal, but apparently it is. I can and will call the airline, I'm just afraid of "messing up" my reservation somehow.

It all depends on the airline and class of ticket. Many airlines restrict certain ticket classes (i.e. the cheap ones) from upgrading via miles and some even restrict cash upgrades. For more information, Google something like "fare class upgrade" and your airline.

Since I'm retired, I have time to look .:)

First of all, I hope you have been assigned good flights.

Last year, in 2016, we had a Viking cruise to France.

I kept a close eye on the timings of Viking and our Delta flight seating availability .

Whilst most of our fellow cruise passengers took what Delta preassigned,

I snagged better seating by keeping a day-to-day eye on the changes.

UPGRADES GO QUICKLY !

THEY (Viking) only guarantee that you will have a seat on the Delta bus.

Any changes/upgrades have to be made though Delta.

WE have another Viking Cruise next fall, so I'm ready to start looking all over again! :-)

Edited by $hip$hape

Since I'm retired, I have time to look .:)

First of all, I hope you have been assigned good flights.

Last year, in 2016, we had a Viking cruise to France.

I kept a close eye on the timings of Viking and our Deltas flight seating availability .

Whilst most of our fellow cruise passengers took what Delta preassigned,

I snagged better seating by keeping a day-to-day eye on the changes.

THEY only guarantee that you will have a seat on the bus.

I think we have good flights and good seats. In fact the only thing I'm not sure of is whether there will be space for our bags once we board! That's why I'm investigating getting a Delta Amex card for earlier boarding. But not sure if it will work on these cheap flights or on Air France flights.

I worked with the travel agent and Viking Air to intentionally get 3 hour layovers or more. I know that's not many people's preference but I'd rather sit at the gate and read a book instead of worrying if I would make my flight.

Now that I have seats I will check maybe once a week but I'm happy with what we have.

Edited by zitsky

I think we have good flights and good seats. In fact the only thing I'm not sure of is whether there will be space for our bags once we board! That's why I'm investigating getting a Delta Amex card for earlier boarding. But not sure if it will work on these cheap flights or on Air France flights.

I worked with the travel agent and Viking Air to intentionally get 3 hour layovers or more. I know that's not many people's preference but I'd rather sit at the gate and read a book instead of worrying if I would make my flight.

Now that I have seats I will check maybe once a week but I'm happy with what we have.

Most important....

Be happy with what you have!

If you want happiness, bring it with you in your luggage !

Michael

Most important....

Be happy with what you have!

If you want happiness, bring it with you in your luggage !

Michael

I'm pretty happy with what I have. But I'd be even happier if I could convince my husband to check his bags instead of finding out on the airplane that there is no space, LOL! :D

I'm pretty happy with what I have.

But I'd be even happier if I could convince my husband to check his bags instead of finding out on the airplane that there is no space, LOL! :D

I don't understand.

Does your DH want to save money by doing all of his stuff by carry-on?

I don't understand.

Does your DH want to save money by doing all of his stuff by carry-on?

I think he just doesn't like the hassle of checking bags and wondering if they'll get lost. Funny that he's so optimistic that there will be plenty of space in the overhead for his slightly over sized bag. Last trip I took a pretty small bag that fits just about anywhere. We were on American then, this time will be on Delta.

I really want to convince him to check his bag. But it's hard to change his mind when he's sure it will be OK.

I thought Delta gave one bag free on international flights? Need to confirm that, I could be wrong.

Most tour companies will ticket early as long as the passenger realizes if you have to change or cancel your flights, you will have higher fees to pay.

I think he just doesn't like the hassle of checking bags and wondering if they'll get lost. Funny that he's so optimistic that there will be plenty of space in the overhead for his slightly over sized bag. Last trip I took a pretty small bag that fits just about anywhere. We were on American then, this time will be on Delta.

I really want to convince him to check his bag. But it's hard to change his mind when he's sure it will be OK.

I thought Delta gave one bag free on international flights? Need to confirm that, I could be wrong.

Delta does allow one checked bag on international flights.

The last time we flew EC on Delta we were one of the first to board, seating at the third row back, and there was hardly any room for our small carry on bags in the overhead bins. I think this is the first time this has happened.

I think he just doesn't like the hassle of checking bags and wondering if they'll get lost.

Funny that he's so optimistic that there will be plenty of space in the overhead for his slightly over sized bag.

Last trip I took a pretty small bag that fits just about anywhere. We were on American then, this time will be on Delta.

I really want to convince him to check his bag.

But it's hard to change his mind when he's sure it will be OK.

I think so too, but you still have time to confirm the "free" bag thing..

But what I see as the Major Point...

My Dear Lady,

I survived a weekend hike in the Appalachian mountains on a peanut butter sandwich. It was most tasty.

If your bags get lost, can you find the rest of your vacation and fun in your carry-on?

I wish you the best!

I think so too, but you still have time to confirm the "free" bag thing..

But what I see as the Major Point...

My Dear Lady,

I survived a weekend hike in the Appalachian mountains on a peanut butter sandwich. It was most tasty.

If your bags get lost, can you find the rest of your vacation and fun in your carry-on?

I wish you the best!

Are you suggesting to *not* check bags? Because no I certainly wouldn't have enough in my carry on to get me through a trip. And when you are moving every day like you do on Viking, I wonder how good the airline would be at delivering a missing bag.

Talked to "the boss" at dinner tonight. He's mostly worried about losing a bag. That's what I figured. I think we will take our chances with finding carry on space. The worst that could happen is we're forced to gate check our bags. And since we're going through CDG, there's a possibility we could be pulled aside for a bag check and then be forced to the check in counter to check bags there.

Someone on our last Viking cruise experienced lost luggage. The airline/Viking arranged to have the bags transported via cab to the next port. Inconvenient, certainly, but better than we would have anticipated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We always check one bag each and carry on one bag each -- and we "cross pack" all checked bags so even if one is "lost" each of us would be missing less than half our clothing until the bag turns up. This reduces the "lost bag" anxiety to a minimal level and eliminates the "living out of a carryon" anxiety [which for us would be far worse :eek:]

I did this today for our August Trip. Booked flights through Viking Air last week. I called them today (after paying the balance of what we owed). I asked for a ticket number, which they have to do through Delta. They explained that it might take from 1-24 hours for the e-ticket to be issued, but just as this was explained, he said - well, here is the number! I then went to the Delta website, entered the ticket number and went to the seat selection section. There is a link on the seating plan page that says Delta economy comfort seats, click that link, choose the seats you want and pay ($119.00 per seat). We actually saved 3.3% on our cruise balance by paying with an e-check- this paid for one set of comfort seats!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Apologies if this has been answered--I haven't had time to read the other responses.

YES, you upgrade with Delta, not through Viking. We book with Viking and pay the additional $50 a person to tell them which flight we want. They book it. Once it's in Delta's system, you can go in and do your seat upgrades. ONLY thing you need to be aware of, if your booking several months out, Viking doesn't release your flight data to Delta upon your booking. We think they batch them out...so you might check with Delta and not see your reservation. Tell Viking you want to upgrade your seats while they're available and to release your seats ASAP.

• 4 months later...
Once we are ticketed (e-ticket, not just a reservation number) I upgrade on Delta to EC if there are seats available. Viking normally does not e-ticket until 3 weeks before the flight, and by then the upgraded seats are usually gone. We have a cruise coming up next week and all the EC seats are sold.

We have used Viking air twice. They have booked us 90 days out at least, and if you ask them to ticket immediately you can upgrade yourself right away. They also offer Viking Air Plus for an extra $50 per person, and you can work with an individual one on one on the flights. We have done enough cruises they are offering us the Air Plus at no extra charge.

Anyone with a Delta Amex card? Does it work with Viking air to give you priority boarding?

Depends on which Delta Amex card you have. Black yes other colors unknown.