Recommended private Ephesus tour companies?

Will be there in July, 2011. May be as many as 9 on the tour. Interested in Ephesus and the Terrace Houses. NOT interested in all in a carpet factory (been there, done that, have no intention of buying) and also not interested in Mary's house.

Also, how far in advance should I reserve? I know that time of year it will be hot and crowded, but can't avoid that.

Will be there in July, 2011. May be as many as 9 on the tour. Interested in Ephesus and the Terrace Houses. NOT interested in all in a carpet factory (been there, done that, have no intention of buying) and also not interested in Mary's house.

Also, how far in advance should I reserve? I know that time of year it will be hot and crowded, but can't avoid that.

We toured Ephesus last month. We used Kosagan Tours for both Istanbul and Ephesus. In Ephesus, our tour guide was Yelda. We had a private van, driver, and guide. She was wonderful! We had a very nice lunch on the way back to Kusadasi. The link to their site is below and your inquiry will probably be handled by Kagan Kosagan. He is so responsive and helpful, no question too big or small. He will handle your arrangements flawlessly. You can cancel up to within a short time of the tour but I don't remember the details. Kagan will explain their policy to you. I would book early as you can cancel with no penalty within their guidelines. The tours by the Kosagan group are highly rated here and on TripAdvisor.com:

http://www.privatetoursinturkey.com/

It will be very hot in July, that is why it is important to get to Ephesus early and beat the cruise ship tours with busloads of tourists.

You will not be disappointed by Kosagan.

Edited by Atwell
add info

I have done tours twice from Kusadasi with Ekol and can highly recommend them. The most recent tour was for a group of 7 and included Ephesus (with the Terrace Houses) and the Museum. Our guide was very good.

If tours try to blindside you into a shopping stop (and many will, even the better ones), you can always just tell them no. Don't be afraid to do so -- it's your tour! Also helps if you are very clear in your email communication that you're not interested in any shopping or "demonstrations".

We used EKOL in Kusadasi and Istanbul. We were clear to both Nor and the guide what we wanted / didn't and they were very accomidating.

If Ali is still working out of Kusadasi, I'd ask for him, he was great!

We have used both Kagan and Ekol and they are both very good, and very willing to arrange things as you want. We also toured once with Hulya hulya462002@yahoo.com and she is excellent too.

Have you been to a carpet factory? They are really very interesting and well worth the trip, even if you are not buying.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/holyland.html and http://www.bully4.us/blacksea2.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Edited by MercedMike

We have used both Kagan and Ekol and they are both very good, and very willing to arrange things as you want. We also toured once with Hulya hulya462002@yahoo.com and she is excellent too.

Have you been to a carpet factory? They are really very interesting and well worth the trip, even if you are not buying.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/holyland.html and http://www.bully4.us/blacksea2.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

WONDERFUL REVIEW Mike. Brought back alot of great memories.

I have actually been to a carpet factory but I am the only one of my group that has. At that time I was not shopping so after the first 15 min. it felt like the rest of the time was a waste when I could be at the ruins. I will talk it over with the others though. But I am dreading my mother-in-law getting in there haggling over a few Euros only to spend all day and not buy (I'm speaking from experience having been to flea markets/antique shops with her, nightmares). So, my guess is everyone else in the family will also vote against the carpet stop.

I will start emailing the companies that have been suggested. I think for Ephesus at least we will all be together as a group of 9.

Beautiful photo Atwell, Thanks! I have sent it to my mother-in-law and sister-in-law so they will know what I meant when I said spectacular ruins. It looks like it has been restored alot more than when I was there 30 yrs. ago. I pulled out my old photo album, can't wait to go back.

I have emailed the tour companies suggested. Thanks all.

Beautiful photo Atwell, Thanks! I have sent it to my mother-in-law and sister-in-law so they will know what I meant when I said spectacular ruins. It looks like it has been restored alot more than when I was there 30 yrs. ago. I pulled out my old photo album, can't wait to go back.

We were told there has been much more excavation in recent years, including a large area under what used to be the parking lot for tour buses!

Here are a couple artifacts you might want to be sure to see:

P1010401.jpg

This is a block adorned with a relief of Nike, goddess of victory. This was thought to be one of a pair that originally stood at the nearby Gate of Hercules. It has been suggested the Nike "swoosh" design originated from the folds of her robe.

P1010435.jpg

P1010411.jpg

You might want to brush up on your Latin or Greek as there are many carvings preserved. Sorry, I have no idea what these say.

P1010389.jpg

It is quite amazing how precisely the marble columns, capitals and entablatures were carved. Some of these columns are sixty feet tall. How did they do that?

P1010402.jpg

A longer view of the Street of the Curetes with the Library of Celsus in the distance. You can see it is already crowded and we beat most of the cruise buses.

P1010446.jpg

You should be aware just outside the historical site at Ephesus there are many souvenir shops and vendors hawking their wares. Our guide, Yelda, went ahead and waited for us on the other side as she said the vendors expected the guides to promote the vendors and she knew we did not want to be put in that situation.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the extra photos! I remember when I was there before I had taken 1 year of ancient Greek and had not taken Latin yet. I eventually had 3 of Greek and 1 of Latin. But I have not read any in so long that I will difinitely need to brush up. I remember back then I was able to translate a little from the ruins.

We just reserved Kosagan and have been informed we will get Yelda. Thank you to all who recommended. We are very excited. I told them that Yelda had quite a fan club on this site.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from our Oceania cruise and we used Ephesus Deluxe for our tour to Ephesus and surrounding highlights. Our guide for Ephesus was Akol and she was wonderful. We also used the same company for a Best of Istanbul tour the following day and again they were wonderful. They have a great price if you are doing both cities. We even had some individuals who did one day but not the other and they were given price discounts based on our numbers as well. They were great in organzing everything, especially as our numbers kept increasing once we got on the ship and news of our tour spread. We chose which sites we wanted to see and when the ship was an hour early into port and cut our time down, they made adjustments to ensure we saw everything we wanted.

We recently took a wonderful cruise on Regent Voyager. We were in Kusadasi on Oct. 1. I had considered doing a private tour of Ephesus, but decided on taking Ephesus with an Expert--an excursion through the ship that was limited to 20 people. This was one of the highlights of our trip. Our "expert" was Cengiz Icten who has been the head archaeologist of the Turkish team for over forty years. He took us to areas others were not allowed to go, and instead of starting at the bottom of the terrace houses and going up, we went from the top down. The other guides would stop their group and introduce our guide to them saying that he had taught them everything they knew. He is supposed to have a book out next year. When I got home, I learned he had given the Clintons their private tour of Ephesus. Anyway, just thought I'd share. If you get a guide who has even half the passion or knowledge as Cengiz Icten, you,ll be happy.

I am surprised no one has recommended Levent Solmaz. We used him two years ago (got his name from this board) and he was very good. The tour included the Terrace Houses and than we went to a local restaurant for lunch.

Kirk

We just returned from our Oceania cruise and we used Ephesus Deluxe for our tour to Ephesus and surrounding highlights. Our guide for Ephesus was Akol and she was wonderful. We also used the same company for a Best of Istanbul tour the following day and again they were wonderful. They have a great price if you are doing both cities. We even had some individuals who did one day but not the other and they were given price discounts based on our numbers as well. They were great in organzing everything, especially as our numbers kept increasing once we got on the ship and news of our tour spread. We chose which sites we wanted to see and when the ship was an hour early into port and cut our time down, they made adjustments to ensure we saw everything we wanted.

We are booked with Ephesus Deluxe in December - glad to hear you were so pleased with their services. Looking forward...

I was there in July 2009 and made this

While I'm on, thanks to Atwell for those terrific photos. None of my party took any :confused: but even if they had they would not have been anything like as as good as yours, which will be in an album shortly.

Cheers, Tony

Thank you for your compliment but your video is excellent and shows all the highlights. Well done!

• 4 weeks later...
I am surprised no one has recommended Levent Solmaz. We used him two years ago (got his name from this board) and he was very good. The tour included the Terrace Houses and than we went to a local restaurant for lunch.

Kirk

Our group of 60 booked a wonderful tour with Levent Solmaz. Most thought it was the highlight of the trip. The group was divided into three vehicles, and no one had any negative remarks about any of the drivers/guides--only complimentary reviews.

The Terrace Houses were a special delight, so don't pass those up. There were a few in our group who could not handle the steps, and arrangements were made for them to sit it out while the rest of the group enjoyed that part of the tour.

I highly recommend Levent Solmaz (leventsolmaz.com). He was a pleasure to work with from the very start and throughout the planning process.

Kathy

• 3 years later...

Just returned from Turkey in August 2014. Our extended family group of 15 took a full day tour with Ephesus Deluxe to see Miletus, Didyma, The Ancient City of Ephesus & The Terrace Houses plus the Temple of Artemis. Had no idea there was a "government run" carpet factory scheduled too. We had a lovely time- until the carpet factory. Lunch was delicious but we were Pounced on when we entered the walls of the carpet factory. We were segregated from each other as couples and assured that we had time, although we did NOT. We missed much of Ephesus- the Basilica of St John, the large theater, the Stadium and didn't have time to enter the Celsius Library Because we were being strong armed into buying carpets at $1000 each. We had no idea and NEVER Intended on buying a carpet that day, let alone such an expensive carpet. The Carpet Salesmen were running after us as we approached the van we came in- as we tried to leave. I just kept saying- "We Don't have TIME for this." And We Didn't have time. So sad we missed part of Ephesus and had to spend valuable time fighting off the carpet salemen. The Carpet Salemen were worse than used car salesmen. So BE WARE!!!

• 4 months later...