Touring Taormina on our own.

Afloat

We will be stopping at Taormina on a cruise. We have been to Taormina before and have seen the sites, as well as Mt. Etna. We would like to spend the day in Taormina on our own, shopping and having lunch.

Does anyone know how we could arrange for transportation back and forth from the tender pier without taking a shore excursion or tour?

Keep in mind that quite a few of the better stores (and some not so good) do close during the afternoon hour (usually from about 1pm until 4). So we always suggest that folks do their shopping in the morning. Once the stores start to close it is a good time to have lunch.

Hank

What is the approximate cost for a taxi to/from the port to Taormino?

Now that depends on the port:) From Messina it is about 32 miles so a taxi will be very expensive and many negotiate a deal for round trip. But from Giardini Naxos it is no more then 5 miles...so sharing a taxi will be for a reasonable cost.

Hank

Off topic - but I can recommend a wonderful restaurant….. right on the main tourist street about halfway between gates there is a place called Granduca. You have to go down stairs but once you do it opens up into a beautiful enclosed terrace with stunning views of the coast. We had pizzas and strombolis…… excellent ! We stopped later down the street for some really fresh - really great cannoli. We did a private tour from Messina and enjoyed our day in Taormina/Castelmola ! Relaxing and fun !

• 1 month later...
Off topic - but I can recommend a wonderful restaurant….. right on the main tourist street about halfway between gates there is a place called Granduca. You have to go down stairs but once you do it opens up into a beautiful enclosed terrace with stunning views of the coast. We had pizzas and strombolis…… excellent ! We stopped later down the street for some really fresh - really great cannoli. We did a private tour from Messina and enjoyed our day in Taormina/Castelmola ! Relaxing and fun !

Will you share who you used for your tour?

I think Granduca is where we ate last year.

I used a company and got 8 of us. I'm using them again for palmero ( so. Brain dead today..omg)...I got 8 of us together on the roll call and they drove us there and back. Sicilytaxi I'll get the fellows email if u want? It was very reasonable. They gave us each a mini bottle of wine just to be nice. I was so impressed!!

I used a company and got 8 of us. I'm using them again for palmero ( so. Brain dead today..omg)...I got 8 of us together on the roll call and they drove us there and back. Sicilytaxi I'll get the fellows email if u want? It was very reasonable. They gave us each a mini bottle of wine just to be nice. I was so impressed!!

Thank you...even a website would help to see what tours they offer.

Will you share who you used for your tour?

I think Granduca is where we ate last year.

Sure……. here is a link

http://www.sicilylimousineservice.com/sicily/index.asp

We were picked up in Messina, drove to Castelmola (above Taormina) and were the first and almost only ones there !!!!! Beautiful pictures with no one else in them ;)

We then went down to Taormina and were dropped off at one end and picked up at the other end of the main pedestrian street. Our driver was quite engaging and not only gave us history but also insight into life in Sicily both past and present.

We enjoyed Granduca - the food was very good and the views - priceless !

Edited by texancruzer
typo

This is what i used, strictly for transport. I got a 16 person mini van. I posted on the rollcall and we paid 560 for 16 of us. I believe you can get 8's as well. I thought it was a great deal.

sicilytaxiservice@hotmail.com

This was back in 2013 though, so Im not sure what he is charging there now. Im using him again this year like I said, and he is very reasonable.

• 2 months later...
This is what i used, strictly for transport. I got a 16 person mini van. I posted on the rollcall and we paid 560 for 16 of us. I believe you can get 8's as well. I thought it was a great deal.

sicilytaxiservice@hotmail.com

This was back in 2013 though, so Im not sure what he is charging there now. Im using him again this year like I said, and he is very reasonable.

How did it go this thus past time? We have about 15 people who will also need Transportion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sure……. here is a link

http://www.sicilylimousineservice.com/sicily/index.asp

We were picked up in Messina, drove to Castelmola (above Taormina) and were the first and almost only ones there !!!!! Beautiful pictures with no one else in them ;)

We then went down to Taormina s !

When you state your were picked up in Messina, not Taormina, can you clarify? Our port listing shows our boat will stop on Taormina. Does is not stop there?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app