DSC cannot be removed onboard anymore

pokerpro5

There is a new policy regarding removing the DSC, which started about 2 weeks ago. I am not sure if it has made it to all ships yet, but it will soon if it hasn't.

The front desk will no longer remove DSC for you.

Instead, you are given a paper form which you have to e-mail to ServiceCharges@Ncl.com when you get back from the cruise. At that point, you will supposedly receive your DSC refund within 2 weeks of receipt.

You have 30 days from the end of your cruise to send in the form. You cannot mail it. It has to be e-mailed, which means you have to scan it or take a picture of it.

You are also required to provide a reason why you are removing the DSC, and how much you are "adjusting it down".

This is a huge change, as now it is in rebate format, where you pay first, and have to apply for a refund later.

The web site does not mention this procedure yet. However, it does not specifically say you can adjust them onboard, so I suppose they can claim that "You can adjust the charges" means you can do it through this after-the-fact process.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

Well, ..... good.

People need to pay their bills.

Not so fast.

This "rebate" situation makes it fairly clear that your DSC does NOT directly land in the hands of the hardworking NCL crew.

Why?

Because you have 30 days from the end of your cruise to submit the form, and it takes them another 2 weeks to profit it -- which means that 44 days can pass since the cruise before a refund is issued.

So how would that work for employees? Do they reach into their wallets and take the "tips" back?

Obviously not.

This new policy pretty much clarifies exactly what I always suspected:

The DSC simply reimburses/subsidizes NCL's payment of employees, and raising it or lowering it does not affect their pay.

If you think I'm wrong, explain how they can retroactive remove tips that are opted out of 30 days after the cruise. Some of those employees may not even be working for NCL at that point!

This is what the website says about the DSC:

Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

"...that your service charge supports".

Read that carefully.

It's tricky language saying that your service charge is reimbursing their fund that they use to pay employees.

Notice that it does not say that removing the DSC takes tips out of their employees' pockets, nor does it say that increasing the DSC gives them more.

They just want you to assume it does, so you feel too guilty and don't remove it.

Well, ..... good.

People need to pay their bills.

I agree. I know some people think they should be able to tip when/who/what they want, and I get that, but I've been on numerous cruises where people have flat out stiffed the staff. We were on Celebrity one time with a mother & daughter at the next table; an older pair, maybe 50's - 70's so old enough to know better. They worked our waiter to the bone, I mean did not give him a break, were nasty & never happy. Went to breakfast the last day to give our envelopes & actually heard them say they were not tipping him anything! Not even a small tip to acknowledge his effort even if they weren't happy, they tipped zero. We felt so bad we threw him some more money in our envelope. These people work hard, very hard, they deserve it. I have no problem with the DSC I pay it & go on with my cruise.

I have no problem with this. I don't think anyone should remove it.

The DSC is broken now.

You are forced to double-pay service charges if you eat at specialty restaurants.

I never removed it before, but it really doesn't sit well with me that I'm paying twice to be served for the same meal (dinner).

I agree. I know some people think they should be able to tip when/who/what they want, and I get that, but I've been on numerous cruises where people have flat out stiffed the staff. We were on Celebrity one time with a mother & daughter at the next table; an older pair, maybe 50's - 70's so old enough to know better. They worked our waiter to the bone, I mean did not give him a break, were nasty & never happy. Went to breakfast the last day to give our envelopes & actually heard them say they were not tipping him anything! Not even a small tip to acknowledge his effort even if they weren't happy, they tipped zero. We felt so bad we threw him some more money in our envelope. These people work hard, very hard, they deserve it. I have no problem with the DSC I pay it & go on with my cruise.

Read what I wrote above.

DSC is not tips.

DSC goes directly to NCL, and doesn't affect employee compensation. This policy change confirms it.

Edited by pokerpro5

NCL (all cruise lines) should just list the price of the cruise inclusive of DSC charges (same way they list tax and port charges) and be done with this whole mess. No tipping required and employees of NCL are contracted for a set rate. If you want to tip above that its up to you but tipping would not ever be mentioned other than "tipping is not required"

Then I could just sit back and enjoy my cruise .....er I mean reading cruise critic.

-Sean

NCL (all cruise lines) should just list the price of the cruise inclusive of DSC charges (same way they list tax and port charges) and be done with this whole mess. No tipping required and employees of NCL are contracted for a set rate. If you want to tip above that its up to you but tipping would not ever be mentioned other than "tipping is not required"

Then I could just sit back and enjoy my cruise .....er I mean reading cruise critic.

-Sean

They don't list tax and port charges transparently, either.

What they call "tax, port charges, and fees", is actually partially non-commissioned fare, which is fare that they keep for every "free" cruise.

Not so fast.

This "rebate" situation makes it fairly clear that your DSC does NOT directly land in the hands of the hardworking NCL crew.

Why?

Because you have 30 days from the end of your cruise to submit the form, and it takes them another 2 weeks to profit it -- which means that 44 days can pass since the cruise before a refund is issued.

So how would that work for employees? Do they reach into their wallets and take the "tips" back?

Obviously not.

The DSC simply reimburses/subsidizes NCL's payment of employees, and raising it or lowering it does not affect their pay.

If you think I'm wrong, explain how they can retroactive remove tips that are opted out of 30 days after the cruise. Some of those employees may not even be working for NCL at that point!

Yes, I agree, this confirms what I have suspected for a long time.

If this is going to be NCL's new policy, I think it is long overdue! For years folks have "gamed" the system by encouraging and teaching some how to stiff the crew. There are literally hundreds of posts out here of folks claiming "if NCL didn't want us to remove the DSC anytime for any reason, they wouldn't allow it. And they can change the rules if they don't want it to happen". Well, NCL listened! NCL always said you could adjust the DSC if you brought an issue to their attention and they couldn't correct it. Many chose to just lower/delete it because they could. Now you might have to work for it. Good for NCL!!!

As to this being proof that NCL never gave the money to the employee's, this proves nothing of that at all. Any time I've worked with people on commissions or advance draws, you can collect your "normal" pay and if you don't make as much in commission as you thought, they reclaim it next billing cycle.

NCL made a good move IMO.

Thank you NCL!!!:D;)

The service Charge isn't a tip. It's a charge. For service.

Glad to see this. There will be those that still will not want to pay it, but now they have to go to some effort to get it reimbursed, instead of just going down to the guest services desk.

As far as proving anything, I certainly don't see how this proves anything.

Thank you NCL, now would you consider making them mandatory, so that they can not be removed....that could be your next step.

I plan to remove them and use cash . I already paid 18% for the 7 night dinner at specialty restaurants and refuse to double tip. I will dispute the charge on my credit card if they don't immediately remove them on the ship. This new form is awkward and meant to make it hard on the passenger. Shame on NCL .

I plan to remove them and use cash . I already paid 18% for the 7 night dinner at specialty restaurants and refuse to double tip. I will dispute the charge on my credit card if they don't immediately remove them on the ship. This new form is awkward and meant to make it hard on the passenger. Shame on NCL .

Plan on removing them to..as per the guest ticket contract!

There is a new policy regarding removing the DSC, which started about 2 weeks ago. I am not sure if it has made it to all ships yet, but it will soon if it hasn't.

The front desk will no longer remove DSC for you.

Instead, you are given a paper form which you have to e-mail to ServiceCharges@Ncl.com when you get back from the cruise. At that point, you will supposedly receive your DSC refund within 2 weeks of receipt.

You have 30 days from the end of your cruise to send in the form. You cannot mail it. It has to be e-mailed, which means you have to scan it or take a picture of it.

You are also required to provide a reason why you are removing the DSC, and how much you are "adjusting it down".

This is a huge change, as now it is in rebate format, where you pay first, and have to apply for a refund later.

The web site does not mention this procedure yet. However, it does not specifically say you can adjust them onboard, so I suppose they can claim that "You can adjust the charges" means you can do it through this after-the-fact process.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

That's what you've been wanting for a while now....that it be mandatory.

Yay!

Read what I wrote above.

DSC is not tips.

Precisely. Glad you've finally woken up & realized this.

Stephen

Not so fast.

Why?

Obviously not.

I get your point. However, it is like they are treating the DSC as a commission.

Millions of people live under those circumstances.

That being said. The DSC will still be given however they distribute the funds. But, it is like a commission recall or charge back. Let's say NCL pays the DSC on a bi-weekly or monthly basis.

If someone exercises there right to get a refund. The allocation will just be deducted from that employees pay.

It does not change anything for the staff. It just makes NOT paying the DSC that much more difficult to remove for the guest.

I'm ok with this. We never remove them, and wouldn't. It's such a small amount. I understand your argument about not knowing if it goes to the crew or not. They aren't under the protection of American labor laws, or the protection of a union. What NCL does with the money is not my concern. That may sound harsh, but it's true .. and I honestly don't care. They state it's a gratuity, which is made abundantly clear by offering "free gratuities" as a perk on their own website. I pay it. That's all I need to know. As for the double dipping, I resolved that by not dining in their speciality restaurants.

Edited by SissasMomE