Split or Dubrovnik?

My family is considering a 4 or 5 day stay in Croatia. Does either of these places fit the bill? (Other suggestions welcome)

We are not looking for beaches, necessarily... just to be on the water. I'm searching for a town with a cozy, old feel, good food and wine, in an area with some history and sightseeing. We prefer quaint little shops and friendly cafes. I want a very nice hotel with a beautiful view, terraced rooms and an outdoor pool for relaxing and taking in the scenery (this is very important to me).

I'm seeing Bellagio in my mind right now, if anyone has been there as well, to give an idea of what we like.

My family is considering a 4 or 5 day stay in Croatia. Does either of these places fit the bill? (Other suggestions welcome)

We are not looking for beaches, necessarily... just to be on the water. I'm searching for a town with a cozy, old feel, good food and wine, in an area with some history and sightseeing. We prefer quaint little shops and friendly cafes. I want a very nice hotel with a beautiful view, terraced rooms and an outdoor pool for relaxing and taking in the scenery (this is very important to me).

I'm seeing Bellagio in my mind right now, if anyone has been there as well, to give an idea of what we like.

Perhaps a response would be easier if I knew when you were expecting to visit our area. In just 4 or 5 days, one destination may be your best choice. During high season both Split and Dubrovnik are filled with tourists and many cruise ships. Again, when exactly do you want to visit?

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

For us Split is an undervisited port. We really enjoyed it. The city is easy to get around and interesting. There is lots to see in the country close by. IMHO if you can find a cruise that includes Split, take it. Dubrovnik and Naples are two ports that seemingly cannot be avoided.

I just came home from a cruise that called in both ports. I fell in love with Split and found it easy to get around, and the food was great. Personally, if I were choosing to stay in one place or the other for a few days, I'd choose Split. But, I certainly wouldn't complain about spending a few days in Dubrovnik!

I have spent several days in all three places. Look for the accommodation you want and let that help you decide.

If I absolutely had to choose after that, I would pick Split as there is so much of interest within a day's drive.

It would be helpful if you explained why you prefer Dubrovnik. We will be in both ports and looking for suggestions in each.

Cole

Both cities are interesting. Split has Diocletian's palace from the 4th Century and the nearby city of Trogyr is wothing the visit, however, Dubrovnik has a couple of nice museums as well as a monastery. Also, you would want to walk the walls.

Do some research on your own, it might help you to make an informed decision.

we visited both Dubrovnik and Split on a recent cruise and hired private guides so had a drive around the surrounding area

Whilst Split has Diocletians palace as the main attraction we were particularly taken with Trogir a short drive away

It is a medieval walled city but overlooked by tourists to the extent that celebrities holiday there as they can preserve their anonymity[according to our guide]

There is a very pretty harbourside with non expensive cafes and bars where you can people watch-not sure about beaches as that wasn't our aim

we liked Dubrovnik but found it very much more tourist orientated-is that a good or bad thing:confused:

Both cities are interesting. Split has Diocletian's palace from the 4th Century and the nearby city of Trogyr is wothing the visit, however, Dubrovnik has a couple of nice museums as well as a monastery. Also, you would want to walk the walls.

Do some research on your own, it might help you to make an informed decision.

I have done lots of research on my own (thank you). The point was for the OP to expand his comment and clarify "why" he preferred one port over the other. It would have been much more helpful to the person who had asked the question than just a comment as to his preference.

Cole

• 1 month later...