Reluctant 12 year old

baileymouse

My family wants to go on vacation with another family. We had an 11 year old They have two girls, 14 and 12. The 14 year old, like my daughter, would be thrilled with shopping, swimming, etc. The 12 year old is another story. She marches to the beat of a different drummer. Not into shopping, can't do much int he physical realm due to mobility issues (she can walk but has limited use of her right leg and arm, so no climbing/skating/etc.). Her main interests are Pokemon, Minecraft, other video games and such.

Her dad is afraid that if they go, his daughter will be on him the entire time due to boredom. Any suggestions? Any cruises out there that cater to the video game set (without it costing a fortune)?

My family wants to go on vacation with another family. We had an 11 year old They have two girls, 14 and 12. The 14 year old, like my daughter, would be thrilled with shopping, swimming, etc. The 12 year old is another story. She marches to the beat of a different drummer. Not into shopping, can't do much int he physical realm due to mobility issues (she can walk but has limited use of her right leg and arm, so no climbing/skating/etc.). Her main interests are Pokemon, Minecraft, other video games and such.

Her dad is afraid that if they go, his daughter will be on him the entire time due to boredom. Any suggestions? Any cruises out there that cater to the video game set (without it costing a fortune)?

Royal Caribbean has very good kids programs that appeal to a wide interest of activities. The clubs are free to all passengers. They also have fairly extensive video arcades on board their ships.

As to the games costing a fortune, I can't answer as it has been some years since our kids used them. But the video games themselves do require the passenger's SeaPass card to play and charges per game do apply. But you can also set a charge limit with each passenger's card through guest services to avoid surprises.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Let the child to her own devices. If she wants to play Pokemon all day, let her do that......on the ship, using her own handheld or tablet. If she wants to sit and pout, let her......on the ship. I've been disabled since age 2, and would have loved it if my parents could have afforded cruises when I was young. You can't allow one child to dictate the vacation choices of an entire family. Sorry, but that's reality, from someone in a boat similar to the 12 year old.

There are no cruises that cater to the video game set specifically. RCI and other cruise lines that cater to families will have a video arcade, but I can tell you, the charges can/will add up to a lot of money if the child is allowed to go unchecked, playing all the time. Perhaps the parents can place a daily limit on her sign and sail card, so that she doesn't spend hundreds of dollars just on video games.

Let the child to her own devices. If she wants to play Pokemon all day, let her do that......on the ship, using her own handheld or tablet. If she wants to sit and pout, let her......on the ship. I've been disabled since age 2, and would have loved it if my parents could have afforded cruises when I was young. You can't allow one child to dictate the vacation choices of an entire family. Sorry, but that's reality, from someone in a boat similar to the 12 year old.

There are no cruises that cater to the video game set specifically. RCI and other cruise lines that cater to families will have a video arcade, but I can tell you, the charges can/will add up to a lot of money if the child is allowed to go unchecked, playing all the time. Perhaps the parents can place a daily limit on her sign and sail card, so that she doesn't spend hundreds of dollars just on video games.

I would say to go with the tablet/hand held game option. I remember on Princess the middle group (8 to 12) did have video games in the room. I don't know if the staff would allow one kid to monopolize a machine if all the kids want to play.

One thing about Princess, though, is that there aren't rock climbing walls and water slides. So if that's what's important, that's something to consider.

It will depends on what cruiseline your taking. I have not personally been on any, but Carnival. I made the suggestion to my 14 and 12 boys about trying another line just to see what it would be like and they were totally against it. They love Carnival. The oldest did a Vlog on youtube they like to explorer the ships when we go. The boys love the comedy shows, the trivia games, camp carnival, swimming and of course the fact they eat whenever they wanted. There were times I had hunt them down and had to sometimes drag them off the ship at port:rolleyes:. Right now there mad at me because I not doing a cruise this year.:(

Have her check online to see what can happen on a cruise. Sometimes people watching can be a good past time on cruise ship. You never know what you see.

I

Have her check online to see what can happen on a cruise. Sometimes people watching can be a good past time on cruise ship. You never know what you see.

That's what I was going to suggest. Search for "teens on cruise ship" or something and see what You Tube videos pop up.

We took our daughter on her first cruise last year...she was not quite 14 at the time. She too is a gamer...loves pokemon, minecraft, etc. But she had fun on the cruise trying new activities with us and with the group of friends she met onboard.

Also, in the teen kids hangout room, there were video game consoles for their use, so they had Wii competitions and Mario Kart tournaments, etc.

Your friends' daughter should have no problem finding other teens who share her interests, and she might even surprise herself and find some new interests.

I used to be this type of kid.

The handheld / tablet gaming market has grown exponentially since I was 12/13 (23 y/o). I know via iPhone/iPad there is a Minecraft game app.

You could always look into a netbook or mini laptop you could load games onto.

Then again I brought my phone on my first cruise (being an avid gamer) thinking I would have lots of down time or would end up getting bored and wanting to play games...was proven wrong and ended up loving the sightseeing & just being on the ship. I know it's probably a whole different world at age 12 than age 21 but you never know, Carnival has amazing kids programs...I don't think I ever saw a frowning face walking out or around Camp Carnival / Club 02.

Also as others have said there is a video arcade but it's small. Has a claw machine, a racing simulator and a few others but it will rack up charges quickly.

Best bet, stick with a tablet or handheld console.

You will want to check the schedule for the first day and find out when the kid's meet and greet is scheduled that evening. This tends to be the time when the kid's meet others in their age group and form friendships for the week.

We took our son on lots of cruises. He joined the teen club and we hardly ever saw him. He has made friends with people all over the world.

All you need do is set a few ground rules, eg you may want to eat dinner as a family, buy her a soda card, so her drinks are taken care of and enjoy your cruise. You'll all have a wonderful time.

I believe, they are all given an ID bracelet and you can stipulate whether or not she is allowed off the ship without you.

I'm taking both my daughters on a cruise in may. My oldest (13) is mentally challenged. She has a mind of a 5 year old, has no sense of fear. My youngest tries to help out(10). I'm scared to death that something may happen, or she won't fit in with the other kids in camp carnival. I don't want her left out, but I also don't want her bored hanging with me all week. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most kids programs will allow your challenged child to age down at least one group. She would be allowed to join her sister in her group. Discuss this with the counselors when you register them on board. You haven't mentioned which ship/cruise line you are on, but if you ask on the board here for that line, you might get more in depth ideas. EM