Manhattan Hotel Near Subway

mumofsons

Can anyone give us suggestions for a hotel that is very close walking distance to a subway station? We will be in NYC for three days at the end of September. I think we can get around pretty well if we are close to subway. I could be wrong though. Any suggestions for a centrally located place to see the major sites i.e. Statue of liberty, 911 museum, empire state building. We may also want to catch the Mets.

Thanks

April

Can anyone give us suggestions for a hotel that is very close walking distance to a subway station? We will be in NYC for three days at the end of September. I think we can get around pretty well if we are close to subway. I could be wrong though. Any suggestions for a centrally located place to see the major sites i.e. Statue of liberty, 911 museum, empire state building. We may also want to catch the Mets.

Thanks

April

What are your exact dates? Realistic hotel budget? 2 people? If you're flying, what airport? What cruise line? September is high season after Labor Day.

Edited by 138east

We will be in NYC on September 21 - 24. We are sailing on Carnival Sunshine - flying into Newark plan on staying in Manhattan from Wednesday - Saturday morning. Will take shuttle into Manhattan.

We usually stay at Hampton Inn type hotels - we aren't fancy peeps just like the breakfast option and know what to expect when we stay.

Thanks

I understand you have never been to NYC? Hotels in midtown are extremely expensive and rooms are relatively small. Do extensive research on hotels, I personally would not book a hotel that is not an international chain.

We will be in NYC on September 21 - 24. We are sailing on Carnival Sunshine - flying into Newark plan on staying in Manhattan from Wednesday - Saturday morning. Will take shuttle into Manhattan.

We usually stay at Hampton Inn type hotels - we aren't fancy peeps just like the breakfast option and know what to expect when we stay.

Thanks

What's your realistic budget? Look at the La Quinta on W32nd. It's $240 per night which is about $280 with taxes. This will put you right near the subway at Herald Square.

how far out is Long Island City? I see stuff on groupon - I have been looking at hotels for about a month now and realize that I will probably be spending over $300 per night and more than likely closer to $400 yikes for three nights it will be almost what we paid for the cruise, but it will be our first trip together to NY. It's ok - we are planning for it - the more informed we are the better prepared - I would love to take in a broadway show - DH not so much so we will be doing alot of taking in the sights. I have already booked the crown in the Statue of Liberty and we want to go to the 911 memorial and more than likely get hoho passes.

Thanks for the info so far.

April

how far out is Long Island City? I see stuff on groupon - I have been looking at hotels for about a month now and realize that I will probably be spending over $300 per night and more than likely closer to $400 yikes for three nights it will be almost what we paid for the cruise, but it will be our first trip together to NY. It's ok - we are planning for it - the more informed we are the better prepared - I would love to take in a broadway show - DH not so much so we will be doing alot of taking in the sights. I have already booked the crown in the Statue of Liberty and we want to go to the 911 memorial and more than likely get hoho passes.

Thanks for the info so far.

April

What hotels are you looking at in Long Island City and what do they cost? It will take you at least 15-20 minutes to get into Midtown Manhattan plus time to walk to the the subway. It will take you at least another 15-20 minutes to get all the way downtown to the 911/SOL area.

Did you look at La Quinta? It's a good price at $280 tax included ($240 base) and is close to the EOS and Macy's. If you take the train from EWR to Manhattan, you could walk to the hotel from Penn Station. If you stay in Queens, you are going to have to take a cab to Queens and a cab to the port unless you are willing to schlep all your stuff on the subway.

Edited by 138east

We stayed in Long Island City during hurricane Sandy, it wasn't really near anything, I don't think I would stay there if you want to do things in Manhattan. I tried to be delicate....yes, prices are steep. But book where you want to go and save on transportation costs

yes I agree - we will stay somewhere in Manhattan probably around times square I was just wondering about the subway since I lived in Toronto for many years and never had a car since the transit system was so good and feel pretty confident using a transit system.

I traveled the TTC for many years, NY subway is well, believe it or not much more congested all the time. Its much more "used" looking and more trains are running through the stations. But, its totally as safe as the TTC, just be aware of your surroundings

As for the hotels in Times Square...you WILL be paying a premium for location, on top of the exchange.

Edited by myfuzzy

I stayed in radio city apartments a few years ago with my brother he liked the location so much he's stayed there 3 times since convient to time square and the subways for lower Manhattan and a good price

We stayed at the Skyline, which is near Hell's kitchen and walking distance to the port. Their website shows deluxe king for $278, which isn't even taking into account what you might get on a discount website.

We walked everywhere - Broadway, Time's Square, Central Park, 5th Avenue. We did not do Ground Zero, but pretty much everything else on our bucket list, we had a chance to see. The hotel gets very mixed reviews, I know, but it was basic and we were happy. We did seem to have been placed in the newly renovated section - maybe that's something you could get them to guarantee for you? Many complaints seemed to be about the older, unrenovated part when I last checked. No breakfast included. FWIW, we were really happy for what we paid, but we actively DON'T like chains. We are Canadian, if that makes a difference, and it was our first trip to New York, DH 45, DD 21 and DS 17

The Hampton Inn Times Sq North

Sep 21, 2016 to Sep 24, 2016

1 queensize bed, free breakfast

$287 + $43 taxes/fees night

on http://www.Expedia.com Total $990

La Quinta Manhattan

1 double room, free breakfast

$237 + $36 taxes/fees night

on http://www.Amoma.com Total $819 edit; price went up, "last room" alert, $846

La Quinta Manhattan

2 Adults

Standard Queen - 1 Bed $780.00

Promo Code: FLASHPONY -$78.00

Taxes and Fees $108.00

Sub-Total USD $810.00

on www.Travelpony.com

Promo code for 10% off is running today only, some 500 left.. but you might be lucky..

(or use TPSAVINGS in case you missed the flash sale)

Edited by FreestyleNovice

I booked my hotel through hotwire .com. You don't know which hotel you will get. But you are able to select the neighborhood, stars and price.

I booked back in January and chose a Union Square - Flatiron area boutique hotel. I got the Redbury New York (former Martha Washington Hotel) for $ 1.092 (5 nights incl. taxes in May).

It would be now $ 1.875 without taxes.

So if you are open for any hotel, hotwire is also an option. I had only good experiences with them in Florida.

I booked my hotel through hotwire .com. You don't know which hotel you will get. But you are able to select the neighborhood, stars and price.

I booked back in January and chose a Union Square - Flatiron area boutique hotel. I got the Redbury New York (former Martha Washington Hotel) for $ 1.092 (5 nights incl. taxes in May).

It would be now $ 1.875 without taxes.

So if you are open for any hotel, hotwire is also an option. I had only good experiences with them in Florida.

If you go the Hotwire or Priceline way, use http://www.betterbidding.com and/or http://www.biddingtraveler.com. I prefer the last one, more user friendly instead of a board. Saves you some guessing! :)

Hi, We will be on the Sunshine on the 24th of September also and are looking at a few days in New York. We have not booked air yet, but might fly into La Guardia. I know hotels there are really expensive, but I keep hoping to find something in Manhattan that we can afford for three nights. Please let me know what you find, and I will do the same.

Thanks

Thanks

You could also stay in downtown Jersey City over the PATH (Port Authority Trans Hudson) subway. It connects to the NYC subway.

Downtown hotels include the Hyatt at the Exchange Place PATH station - a 5 minute ride to World Trade, or the Courtyard by Marriott which is at the Newport PATH station, 13 minutes to 33d St in NYC or 7 minutes to WTC. Walking distance from Newport PATH are the Doubletree and the Westin.