Rome Hotels/B and B at reasonable prices?

Packard

We are going into Rome for a few days before a cruise and would like to stay I the Navona/Pantheon area of the city (at least on that side of the river). Any suggestions in the €170 to €220 range? Either hotel or B and B. Your input would be very appreciated. Thank you.

We stayed at Hotel Navona Colors several nights last month. The location was fantastic, two blocks from Piazza Navona, with great little family restaurants nearby, local supermarket, shops, walking distance to the Pantheon, Campo de Fiori, Spanish Steps, and in the other direction, Piazza del Popolo and just across the bridge from Castel San Angelo.

It is a small boutique hotel, a very contemporary European update in an historic building, king beds, beautiful big bath, refrig and espresso maker in the room. Breakfast included and very good, fresh fruits and juices, pastries, yogurt, cereal, espresso, etc. We paid $272 per night which included breakfast and VAT. So more than your suggested budget, but for that area, we thought it was worth it.

There are many hotel threads on here, with numerous recommedations for hotels in the Centro Storico, particularly the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area. If you do a search, you should find them quickly.

I will add that we stayed at the Albergo Cesari last fall (minutes from the Pantheon) and would stay there again. You can't beat the location, and breakfast on the terrace was wonderful. The rates we paid then were within your budget (but included a discount for a three-night stay).

Whatever you decide, I would advise you to book as early as you can, you will typically get better prices. And then monitor the rates, just in case they do drop!

Enjoy your trip!

There are many hotel threads on here, with numerous recommedations for hotels in the Centro Storico, particularly the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area. If you do a search, you should find them quickly.

I will add that we stayed at the Albergo Cesari last fall (minutes from the Pantheon) and would stay there again. You can't beat the location, and breakfast on the terrace was wonderful. The rates we paid then were within your budget (but included a discount for a three-night stay).

Whatever you decide, I would advise you to book as early as you can, you will typically get better prices. And then monitor the rates, just in case they do drop!

Enjoy your trip!

Thankyou....as you can see from the number of posts, I am still new at this. Can you point me to the right place to search the hotels!!

Thankyou....as you can see from the number of posts, I am still new at this. Can you point me to the right place to search the hotels!!

Happy too! At the upper right hand side of the Italy Ports forum (this board), you will see a box that says "Search this Forum." Click on that, then type in your search term. Using "hotel" as your search term will bring up many threads (and not all for Rome), but you can quickly scroll down the screen and find useful threads. You can of course also use the search engine to do a serach for specific hotels, which will help you find posts where people have mentioned those hotels.

There's a search engine like this in all of the forums here on Cruise Critic. You must be signed in to use it, so you'll only see the Search box if you are signed in.

Happy to answer other questions if I can. Cruise Critic is a great resource!

Happy too! At the upper right hand side of the Italy Ports forum (this board), you will see a box that says "Search this Forum." Click on that, then type in your search term. Using "hotel" as your search term will bring up many threads (and not all for Rome), but you can quickly scroll down the screen and find useful threads. You can of course also use the search engine to do a serach for specific hotels, which will help you find posts where people have mentioned those hotels.

There's a search engine like this in all of the forums here on Cruise Critic. You must be signed in to use it, so you'll only see the Search box if you are signed in.

Happy to answer other questions if I can. Cruise Critic is a great resource!

You're a star!, Thankyou!

B & B A View of Rome and its sister property B & B A Peace of Rome both near the Vatican City are run by two young guys. Great accommodation well priced . Book direct on line via their website .

We are going into Rome for a few days before a cruise and would like to stay I the Navona/Pantheon area of the city (at least on that side of the river). Any suggestions in the €170 to €220 range? Either hotel or B and B. Your input would be very appreciated. Thank you.

You say a "few" days so not sure how many that is……. but if staying 3 or more nights - have you considered renting an apartment ? In 5 trips to Rome we have rented apartments for 3 of those trips. There are literally thousands of them - all sizes and prices. And located in the prime areas you are looking for. We have saved a ton of $$$$ doing this AND you get a lot more room….. usually with a kitchen, living room etc…… It does involve a security deposit but at checkout we always get it back (unless you trash the place :eek: )

It isn't for everyone perhaps…… but I, for one, like having breakfast in my jammies, more space and saving some $$. The downside is you are a bit more on your own altho all the apartments we have stayed in have provided a binder with tons of info….. emergency #'s, restaurants, tours, maps and on and on…. also most of the owners/managers are happy to arrange things for you such as transportation to/from airport or port, even had one that would arrange to have a chef come and cook for you !!!!!

Anyway - just a thought. There are a bunch of websites to explore. We have used VRBO (once) and Sleep in Italy (twice)…...

Two thoughts. Use venere.com and you can enter the locations you want to narrow down the search.

We stayed at Relais Largo Argentina, in a great location five minutes from the Pantheon. Included breakfast which you could have in your room or on the small patio. It is a group of about six rooms in a large building that operates as a B&B. The rooms and bathrooms were very spacious, for Rome, and it was perfect for us. But the staff is only there for a few hours each day, so if you are looking for hotel with lots of amenities, this is not it. There's no lift but they will bring your bags to your room for you. We thought the location was ideal and we were within walking distance of all the major sites, even the Vatican. It think it was €180 with breakfast.

Thank you all. We used venere.com as was suggested and have found a place right by the Pantheon that fits into our budget. It sounds very similar to what you suggested CathyCruises.....small boutique place with 6 rooms, limited reception b fabulous location.

I knew I could count on CC to help!!

Sydney

• 3 weeks later...

Was hoping someone could offer advice, opinions. We will be in Rome next August for three days prior to our cruise. I currently have two hotels booked. We are traveling myself, husband, two kids 18&20, and possibly their friends. I currently have the St Regis booked, two rooms for two adults each. If the friend decide to join us, i made sure the rooms can accommodate 4 adults, although we would have to pay an additional $95 per extra adult. We have previously stayed there and loved it, although, it really was quite a hike to most places, but the hotel and service was wonderful. Just found a B&B right by the pantheon and booked two rooms there. The B&B is called, The Pantheon View B&B. i managed to get two rooms, one that sleeps 5 and one for my husband and i. Both with direct views of the Pantheon. According to reviews, the only negative was the breakfast was lacking - not an issue in this case since the St Regis doesnt include breakfast anyways. I love the idea of being close to the action and walking distance to piazzas for cocktails, but i also like being taken care of with great service and already know we love the St Regis. Question # 1. Has anyone ever stayed at this particular B&B, pros and cons would be great. # 2. If you had the choice between a 5star hotel away from the action or a 3 star boutique in the middle of it all, what would you choose.

Was hoping someone could offer advice, opinions. We will be in Rome next August for three days prior to our cruise. I currently have two hotels booked. We are traveling myself, husband, two kids 18&20, and possibly their friends. I currently have the St Regis booked, two rooms for two adults each. If the friend decide to join us, i made sure the rooms can accommodate 4 adults, although we would have to pay an additional $95 per extra adult. We have previously stayed there and loved it, although, it really was quite a hike to most places, but the hotel and service was wonderful. Just found a B&B right by the pantheon and booked two rooms there. The B&B is called, The Pantheon View B&B. i managed to get two rooms, one that sleeps 5 and one for my husband and i. Both with direct views of the Pantheon. According to reviews, the only negative was the breakfast was lacking - not an issue in this case since the St Regis doesnt include breakfast anyways. I love the idea of being close to the action and walking distance to piazzas for cocktails, but i also like being taken care of with great service and already know we love the St Regis. Question # 1. Has anyone ever stayed at this particular B&B, pros and cons would be great. # 2. If you had the choice between a 5star hotel away from the action or a 3 star boutique in the middle of it all, what would you choose.

The three star in the middle of it all! We just use the room for sleeping, showering, and resting up for a bit, much prefer having a fab location with everything right outside our door. But I don't require much pampering at home, so YMMV. But remember the first rule of real estate, location!!

The three star in the middle of it all! We just use the room for sleeping, showering, and resting up for a bit, much prefer having a fab location with everything right outside our door. But I don't require much pampering at home, so YMMV. But remember the first rule of real estate, location!!

I'd take the three star in the middle of it all. Of course, a three star in Italy isn't necessarily a sacrifice -- the stars refer to the amenities offered, not necessarily to the rooms or service. In fact, my favorite hotel in Rome, the Albergo del Senato, has three stars.

But yes, I'd always choose to be close to the sites.

I would also stay "in the middle of it all." Save the pampering for a different place. :)

I can't tell you how much fun it was to just walk out of our hotel and stroll over to the Pantheon and the Piazza Navona, and literally to walk everywhere we wanted to go in our three days in Rome last fall, including St. Peter's and the Forum/Colosseum. It was really wonderful at night, too.

I'll give a qualified "it depends." If you are getting the St. Regis on points or a free certificate, go for it. Use the money on other pleasures. The St. Regis is very close to the Termini and the trains and Metro and closer still to the Repubblica Metro. It's also a smudge further to Via to the Piazza Barberini area and from there to Centro Storico. Another choice if you are doing points is the Westin Excelsior Rome. A 4-star and the points redemption is probably more towards 25,000/night than The St. Regis' 50,000. Maybe a 15 minute walk to the Pantheon from there (at least for me, it was).

If you aren't doing points, I'd spend the money and stay at that 3 star ;)

I stayed WAY up the hill at the Rome Cavalieri one time. Very classy 5-star hotel with the only Michelin 3 star restaurant in town. The only reason I stayed up there was that I had certificates for 4 free nights at any Waldorf Astoria in the world. If it wasn't for those certificates, I would have been down in Centro Storico at the 'del Senato or something like that.

Again, consider an apartment ! Here is one I found with a view of the Pantheon - 3 bedrooms 4 baths and all the other amenities (elevator etc) for 846 euros for 3 nights for 6 adults (the kids 18-20 are considered adults). The apartment would give you room for everyone and everyone won't be on top of each other !

Check it out.

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/rome/navona-pantheon-apartments/apartment-pantheon-home?r=s

with the current exchange rate that works out to around $923.00 or $307. per night.

As for location - I would choose the 3 star in the central location any day. The best part of Rome is walking ! Especially in the evening when all the locals are out with their kids etc…..

Again, consider an apartment ! Here is one I found with a view of the Pantheon - 3 bedrooms 4 baths and all the other amenities (elevator etc) for 846 euros for 3 nights for 6 adults (the kids 18-20 are considered adults). The apartment would give you room for everyone and everyone won't be on top of each other !

Check it out.

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/rome/navona-pantheon-apartments/apartment-pantheon-home?r=s

with the current exchange rate that works out to around $923.00 or $307. per night.

As for location - I would choose the 3 star in the central location any day. The best part of Rome is walking ! Especially in the evening when all the locals are out with their kids etc…..

Good Morning! Can you remind me of the apartment you have mentioned before that was close to the Centro Storico? We may have four days in Rome between cruises coming up and an apt would be great, just two of us so even a studio would be fine, just want to be close in.

Thx Cathy

Thanks for all the opinions! I think we agree with the location location and location aspects of this trip. I did look into renting an apartment for this trip but decided against it, regardless of what it may save in $$. I know what would happen - I would be stuck making breakfast and lunch and end up cleaning up after 5 other people. I am looking forward to the coffee and pastries in a piazza watching the world go by and not having to do dishes.

Thanks for all the opinions! I think we agree with the location location and location aspects of this trip. I did look into renting an apartment for this trip but decided against it, regardless of what it may save in $$. I know what would happen - I would be stuck making breakfast and lunch and end up cleaning up after 5 other people. I am looking forward to the coffee and pastries in a piazza watching the world go by and not having to do dishes.

Well, I must say that that is an excellent reason NOT to book an apartment! Reminds me of my ex MIL--the family wanted to buy an RV for vacations, and she said absolutely not, she'd spend her entire 'vacation' cooking and cleaning, just in a smaller space!

Good Morning! Can you remind me of the apartment you have mentioned before that was close to the Centro Storico? We may have four days in Rome between cruises coming up and an apt would be great, just two of us so even a studio would be fine, just want to be close in.

Thx Cathy

We have stayed in 3 apartments (3 different trips) all in the Pantheon/Piazza Navonna area, but none of them were studio or even 1 bedroom. My suggestion would be to go to SleepinItaly.com and put in your requirements. Look at the pics and the location and if you have any questions I have found them very very helpful …….. especially the trip with my MIL who is mobility challenged …… so needed very few steps and elevator……. They will help you find exactly what you are looking for. We plan on using them for an apartment again when we go back to Italy for an extended stay…… not on the calendar yet but it will happen !!!!!!

Ha Ha…. I hear ya. I do not cook while there either. I do like coffee first thing - usually while I am still in my jammies. I am always up early when on vacation, before everyone else for some reason :confused: I usually buy some danish and afternoon/evening snacks (I love the cheeses and proscuito and other meats I can get at the small groceries in Rome) and will also pick up some fruit from the market at Campo di Fiori …….. but I do not cook ! We usually do dinner a bit later than we normally would since that is just the way they do it there……. After touring/walking all day we always head back to the apartment and take an hour or so to rest/refresh and then head out for the evening. We just like the extra room when there are a number of us using the living room to congregate in when not "out and about"……..

I'll put in a plug for the Amoranto Romano, a B&B near Termini on Via ****onale. It's in an old building, which has been converted--very lovely, and still within walking distance of all Rome has to offer.

The CCC auto censor likes to delete that part of the name of the street and replace it with the ubiquitous "***" To know what the missing letters are, think of a very vile national party in charge in Germany in the 1930-40s that the Allies fought in World War II.