West Bay Beach vs Mahogany Bay Beach?

mamiamjo

How do these two beaches compare when it comes to water color, clarity and sand quality?

We were planning on going to West Bay Beach, but may want to save the $ for excursion in Belize.

On the other hand we really want to spend some time on the best beach (not really worried about snorkeling though)

Is there much difference in these two beaches?

Yes, Thanks Brother Craig that's the kind of water we're looking for!

I have another question if you don't mind...

If we visit Daniel Johnson's first, how much time do you think that will leave for West Bay Beach considering travel there and back?

Edited by mamiamjo

• 4 weeks later...

All those pictures above are of West bay beach. Mahogany Bay cant hold a candle to West Bay Beach in water Clarity, Color, Coral, Snorkeling and Sand. And when i say sand I mean west bay beach sand is like walking on powdered sugar. The sand at West Bay is so fine its extremely soft on your feet. I've heard Mahogany beach sand was imported when Carnival had it built and is much more course. Water is murky because of the dirtier sand and water is a bit more rougher on the south side of the island and stirs up the sand to make it murky.

Heres my Pictures of West Bay from April 2016.

P4210478_zpsgrvxpjjb.jpg

P4210451_zpshmxium8c.jpg

P4210443_zpsbd1lm6cg.jpg

P4210438_zpspjsksqeq.jpg

P4210437_zpsdlmhz9au.jpg

P4210428_zpscrogbgwj.jpg

Edited by Brad1972

And even more.

I've seen pictures from other cruisers of Mahogany bay beach and I have yet to see one that even comes close to West bay beach. My cruise next April were going back to West Bay beach without even a thought of going to a different beach. All the pictures I just posted in this post and above are from Bananarama Beach resort which is just a few properties north of Tabyana Beach. All the underwater pictures are from West bay also and to be more exact on location of where i was snorkeling was right in front of Infinity bay resort. The beach itself is public and you can walk up and down the beach all you want. You can even eat lunch or buy a snack or drink at most any of the resorts restaurants up and down the beach. you only need a day pass to use their beach chairs, umbrella's and other facilities like pool, changing rooms and bathrooms. If you go in and buy food or drinks at the bars or restaurants you dont need a day pass. your spending money with them they will gladly serve you.

P4210352_zpsjwpu9fbz.jpg

P4210349_zpsvpdamapv.jpg

P4210350_zpsrsuttjes.jpg

P4210349_zpsvpdamapv.jpg

P4210348_zpsbv1jqnju.jpg

OK so we are doing a private tour with Rony's and I will have him drop us off at Bananarama's for a few hours. Do I ask for a day pass or am I just wanting to pay for chairs and umbrellas? Of course we will be eating too.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thx for the great pics and info! A few questions....how did u get there and how much did u pay? Do u get a bit of an island tur from the cruise ship to the West Bay? Thx in advance for your help,

Most of the beach clubs in West Bay will charge you $10 to use a chair... You pretty much have to go across the property of one of the beach clubs to access the beach. It's easiest to just pay the $10 fee and enjoy...

How much for west bay beach? Dumb question but every time I try to walk / access a "free" beach someone always stops me saying you have to pay??? Where is access to the free beaches??

Sent from my RCT6773W22 using Forums mobile app

OK so we are doing a private tour with Rony's and I will have him drop us off at Bananarama's for a few hours. Do I ask for a day pass or am I just wanting to pay for chairs and umbrellas? Of course we will be eating too.

The restaurant at Banarama, Thirsty Turtle, offers tables and chairs in the shade.. if you want a lounger on the beach under an umbrella you may have to pay for it.. your server should know. If you wish to eat else where and use the lounger umbrellas at Bananarama, you will be paying for them.

How much for west bay beach? Dumb question but every time I try to walk / access a "free" beach someone always stops me saying you have to pay??? Where is access to the free beaches??

West Bay Beach is free, though there is some discussion about just how much of the sand is free. Lounge chairs, potties, and showers are all payable. If you wish only to walk the beach or have lunch someplace, have your driver drop you at the road between Bananarama and Paradise Beach Club. It is public access. Or better yet, have your driver drop you in West End then take the water taxi to West Bay.. again walking the beach or having lunch is free... the challenge comes when you want a lounger.

If you do not have a driver, you may be better off pre arranging a day pass including transport from the ship. Taxi are not regulated and are expensive.