Currency

cjcruiser27

Would they accept Canadian currency in Cape Cod? It is about the same here in NZ (currently driving around South Island). A few shops will take any currency (but you get killed on the exchange rate) but the NZ Dollar is the normally accepted currency.

Hank

Would they accept Canadian currency in Cape Cod? It is about the same here in NZ (currently driving around South Island). A few shops will take any currency (but you get killed on the exchange rate) but the NZ Dollar is the normally accepted currency.

Hank

Someone asked on the roll call because he would have money left from Australia before heading to NZ so I asked here because I did not know for sure. You can keep your sarcasm 😊thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Does anyone know if in NZ they would accept Australian dollars? Probably thinking no? Thanks

Yes, from our experience earlier this year in both of these great countries, you need the currency for each of these spectacular nations when shopping/spending there. BUT, here are some added good news/insights/tips.

1. CREDIT CARDS: Things are very "tech-savvy" with both countries and it is fairly easy to use your credit card in each of these nations. Might not need as much "cash" for there as some might assume.

2. CURRENCY VALUES: Things are better with the value of the dollar right now. At one time, the Aussie dollar costs around $1.08 to $1.10 in USA currency. As of this morning's Wall Street Journal, that Aussie dollar costs $.8710. The NZ dollar today costs about 78 cents. Lots of factors involved in these changing currency values, including China's economy, the relatively strength of the U.S. dollar and weakening euro, etc. Both Australia and NZ export so much to China and their economies are more inter-twined in those manners.

During the past roughly six years, the up-and-down history of the Australia dollar has been: high of $1.1028 on Aug. 2, 2011. Low of $0.6120 on Oct. 28, 2008. For NZ, its recent variations have been: high of $0.8797 on Aug. 2, 2011; low of $0.4944 on Mar. 3, 2009. See more currency histories/details at:

http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

THANKS! Enjoy your travels there! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 85,746 views for this posting.

You would get roughly NZ $1.12 for A$1
If I owned a shop in NZ, I'd be tempted to take AUD. But only at 1:1, and with change given in NZD.

When I lived in Hong Kong, this was how Macau used to work. The Macanese Pataca was at about a 10% discount to the Hong Kong Dollar. Everyone in Macau would take HKD, which was pretty much an alternative currency there, but you'd only get 1:1 to the MOP price.

Someone asked on the roll call because he would have money left from Australia before heading to NZ so I asked here because I did not know for sure. You can keep your sarcasm thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No sarcasm intended :). Just making a basic point that it is usually difficult to use foreign currency in most countries (the Caribbean is a big exception). It is easy to exchange Aussie Dollars for NZ Dollars here in NZ, but it would normally be done at a money exchange agency/kisosk with some loss of value. We actually faced the exact same scenario last week because we had excess Aussie Dollars that we were holding for our upcoming visit to Hobart. But after leaving Melbourne our Captain told us that both Hobart and Milford Sound were cancelled due to a major storm (10 Meter seas). Many folks onboard were stuck with Aussie dollars which could be exchanged onboard or once we arrived in NZ.

Hank

It's a strange question really and it is a bit like asking whether Chinese yuan would be welcome at a McDonalds in Florida; with absolutely no sarcasm here.

New Zealand has in common with Australia only that they are relatively close together. For example, culturally they are very different - NZ tends to be compared to Canada in that regard and Australia to the USA. Racism is overt is Australia and much more subdued in New Zealand. People are friendlier in NZ in some regards and not in others.

It's probable that foreign currency of any kind will be accepted in the main tourist shops (the places where prices are sky high too). Beyond that you'll be playing a one in ten thousand chance sort of game.

Having said that one of the cruise lines did arrange for all of the shops in Devenport (the other side of the harbor from where ships dock in Auckland) to accept other currencies during a trial to see if that worked - I believe it didn't.

Just about everywhere in NZ and Australia take credit and debit cards; that's the easiest way to pay for things.

Just read today that the hop on hop off bus in Auckland will take both US and AUD but exact change required.

http://www.explorerbus.co.nz/summer

Sounds like a good move by the bus company. A US dollar is worth about 10% more then an Aussie dollar.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Racism is overt is Australia and much more subdued in New Zealand.

Please tell me that bit's a joke.

People are friendlier in NZ in some regards and not in others

Well like the sentence above it all depends on where abouts in the country you are and who you're dealing with.

• 2 weeks later...
Please tell me that bit's a joke.

I've only experience of the Australian capital cities. Last time I was in Brisbane with a corporate transfer to my employer's offices I had to humor the driver. She said to me as I approached her "I knew the last flight wasn't yours". Covering her hand she continued, "it was full of blacks"; I thought to myself "yep, back in Australia".

It's the same every single time; try talking to a taxi driver about the racism they experience. You'll get a conversation more than sufficient to keep you occupied for the full journey.