Lunch & beach day, where? Orient / Le Galion / Dawn / Mullet / Friars

cloudy21

My port day includes 4 ships and 14,000 passengers. We (small group of 50s/80s) would like to plan a relatively easy day, mostly lunch and beach time, and avoid crowds if we can. I’ve read through many, many threads and posts and have considered the praises and criticisms of various beaches. Still, I’m stumped on making a choice:

1. Orient

Pros: wide range of chair/umbrella/drink/food vendors; easily reached with taxis and vans

Cons: likely to be crowded and many have noted the high winds which limit enjoyment and access to swimming (much less snorkeling).

Question: can you gauge how windy the conditions are at Orient from those at the cruise port? I know to not trust anything the taxi drivers say.

2. Le Galion

Pros: Much calmer conditions than Orient; Chair/umbrella/food available

Cons: May have trouble getting a return taxi to ship; poor snorkeling; possibly lots of kids; limited restrooms

3. Dawn

Pros: Possibly calmer conditions than Orient; Chair/umbrella/food available

Cons: Some say bad seaweed conditions; availability of taxi for return to ship unknown

4. Mullet

Pros: Much calmer conditions than the Atlantic side beaches (#1 - #3); better snorkeling; can be reached with public van (slower but cheap!)

Cons: No restrooms – only portapotty! Limited drink/food vendor; can be crowded, especially after everyone watching planes land at Maho want a decent nearby beach. We might have to stop in Philipsburg first to pick up some lunch to bring.

5. Friars

Pros: compared to options #1 - #4, this will have the smallest crowds; calmer conditions; could be combined with a visit to Marigot (possibly stop there first for lunch or some overrated pastry shop).

Cons: one reviewer remarked: “We were disappointed at the condition of this beach, especially with the "Swim at your own risk!" signs. Something that had to do with water quality was the reason they were posted. This had to be the worst beach that we toured all week.”; getting a return taxi will be much, much harder here.

I've eliminated the Pinel (too far) and Baie Rouge and Baie Nettle (taxi transportation concerns).

Anyone been to these (even better if two or more) and can offer a recommendation? I would add that we’re not interested in the Maho/airport landing experience or taking the standard tours (Bernard’s, etc.). Keep it simple: food and relax for four hours give or take.

Given what you say, and without being able to predict weather, I recommend one of the bigger/nicer beach bar/restaurants along Orient Beach - I would suggest Kontiki, Kakao, Bikini, or La Playa - the rougher the water, the better to be to the south along the beach - I list these four south to north along the beach. These places usually will have more room among their chairs, somewhat better restrooms, and I think you will find them more comfortable than the smaller beach establishments. There are places south of Kontiki that I like (such as Orange Fever) but their chairs can get very congested and crowded, and I think the ones I list would be better, particularly for the older people in your group. (if I am reading right, sounds like some in their 50's and some in their 80's - I am thinking that comfort for those in their 80's would be primary). A good place perhaps to be dropped and picked up by a taxi would be beach near Orient Village, closest to Bikini and La Playa. There will not be any real snorkeling at any of these places along beach - there is a bit of rock/reef in front of Pedros (a small beach bar/restaurant south of Kontiki) - the rocks in front of Pedros being a dividing line between a clothing optional beach and the rest of Orient Beach.

You did your homework.:)

I'm wondering why Simpson Bay, possibly Karakter never made your list? This would be a place that I would recommend that you look at if you haven't looked into it already. Grand Case would be an excellent choice as well with Creole Rock Watersports and the Sunset Cafe at Grand Case Beach Club being my suggestion for your group. Both are relatively popular places for those that want to venture out from the most popular cruiser spots and I have never read or heard about folks not being able to get transportation back from either of these two places. GC might be a little farther than you were hoping to go in terms of distance but it's not in a terribly congested area of the island.

Regarding Mullet. If you do choose it I can recommend an amazing new bakery nearby that you can stop at to get sandwiches/pastries that is just past the beach or just stop at one on the way in Simpson Bay like Atlantico which is a favorite of those in the know.:). Two things to add. Catamarans are visiting here which much more frequency than in the past which leads to more people and the sand can get pushed up making it more difficult entering the water from where you are sitting in your lounger on the beach.

As long as the restaurant is open at Le Galion and kids are not an issue then it's a good choice. It's close enough to the main road going back and forth to Orient ( less than 400 yds) so you will not be stranded there on such a busy port day. ( really average passenger load for St. Maarten so don't worry, it can handle it)

Dawn on a calm day would be a good choice for your group.

The beach bars at Nettle Bay are excellent, though I did read about transportation issues from one cc member but there are resorts nearby and like you said, it's close to Marigot so personally I would feel comfortable relying on a taxi to get to and from Nettle Bay. It's not the island's best beach but it made for a lovely afternoon for us when we visited a couple of yrs ago.

There are lots of choices at Orient and it's great for people watching and strolling the beach. There are a lot of pros here as long as you are fine with seeing many people. This beach can handle lots of people though and quite honestly that's when I think that it's at its best!

Friars and Baie Rouge can both be nice but I wouldn't visit without transportation myself on a cruise so I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it to others either.

Pinel would be a hard no for me unless I had guaranteed transportation. Also the little ferry boats might be an issue if anyone in your group had ambulation difficulties.

Edited by Karysa

We spent a week on SXM last Nov and visited Friar's Bay and that was one of our favorite beach days! The lunch at the Friar's Bay Beach Cafe was exquisite, and the beach and water were both gorgeous, very calm. If you eat at the club you pay just $10 for a lounge/umbrella.

We spent a week on SXM last Nov and visited Friar's Bay and that was one of our favorite beach days! The lunch at the Friar's Bay Beach Cafe was exquisite, and the beach and water were both gorgeous, very calm. If you eat at the club you pay just $10 for a lounge/umbrella.

Did you see any taxis there? I'm assuming you had a rental car if you spent a week on the island.

I read elsewhere that the Beach Cafe is cash only? Is that correct? If we do not eat there, is there a substantial premium for the lounge/umbrella?

Thanks!

We are just back from two weeks at Dawn Beach. The seaweed problem seems gone - the beach was as clear as ever in the last 10 years. There is no problem getting a taxi back, because if there isn't one just dropping someone off, the people at Mr. Busby's (great lunch) are glad to call one for you. It is also a very short drive back to the pier - without hitting the heavy traffic likely encountered from Friars, Nettle or Baie Rouge --- each of which would sketchier about getting a taxi back.

If there is a strong breeze from the east, you might find Dawn too rough for your liking. Orient is likely to be calmer unless there is a strong breeze from the north - tough to really tell from the port.

Le Galion is always pretty calm.

I was always bothered by the smell at Friars - I suppose the waters was OK, and the smell just from the salt pond - but it did impact enjoy ability.

Did you see any taxis there? I'm assuming you had a rental car if you spent a week on the island.

I read elsewhere that the Beach Cafe is cash only? Is that correct? If we do not eat there, is there a substantial premium for the lounge/umbrella?

Thanks!

They can call a taxi, can't remember how we paid, and can't remember the price for lounges/umbrellas without eating, sorry! It was probably $15+ per set. I'm sure someone on the St Martin forum on tripadvisor who goes there often can answer all of your questions. We were very impressed with the dishes and would highly recommend eating there for lunch, prices aren't that bad.

The sargassum situation was extremely bad throughout the Carib over the past 2 years, and we experienced it on 6 visits to the Yucatan over that period It finally cleared up and is no longer an issue. It was absolutely the worst we've seen in 15 years of traveling the Carib.

We didn't smell anything while at Friar's. We did enjoy the beautiful, clear water and soft sand - perfect day! And Friar's Bay is very well protected and a nice, calm bay. We also never experienced any traffic going to and from Friar's, but you will if you go further into Marigot.

http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Beaches/FriarsBay.html

Chez Kali's (Jamaican dishes/vibe) was just preparing to clean up their property and were opening later in November. So you have a couple of options for lunch and lounges.

We intended to spend a day at Dawn, but decided it was a busier vibe there than we wanted and we went to Friar's and were sooo happy we did! :)

This question could qualify for a new thread, but I'll keep it here...

If we visit Marigot first and stay there for lunch, which beach on the island would be best for the early afternoon given driving times - both to reach the beach from Marigot and then back to the cruise port?

Looking at a map of the island and the main roads, it seems that heading to the Atlantic side (Orient, Le Galion and Dawn) would be inefficient from Marigot. Rather, it would be smarter to head south to Simpson Bay? Is that beach crowded with the airport viewing crowds and is the sound of planes landing distracting? (Both these concerns may be limited to Maho.)

I second (third? fourth?) the recommendations for Grand Case. Beautiful soft white sand, a plethora of beachfront restaurants to choose from (plus the awesome BBQ lolos!) who will give you a chair and umbrella just for buying food/drinks while you're there. We just spent a fabulous day there in December at the Rainbow Cafe which is also home to a watersports company. We had pre-arranged our transportation but I'm sure the restaurant would call you a taxi. Just allow plenty of time. Afternoon traffic can be nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we visit Marigot first and stay there for lunch, which beach on the island would be best for the early afternoon given driving times - both to reach the beach from Marigot and then back to the cruise port?

Looking at a map of the island and the main roads, it seems that heading to the Atlantic side (Orient, Le Galion and Dawn) would be inefficient from Marigot. Rather, it would be smarter to head south to Simpson Bay? Is that beach crowded with the airport viewing crowds and is the sound of planes landing distracting? (Both these concerns may be limited to Maho.)

We would definitely drive the Atlantic side to avoid the heavy traffic. We would choose Friar's Bay for the nicer, calm and quiet beach (and lunch as the cuisine at the Friar's Bay Cafe is amazing). Lounge/umbrella is $10/set if you early there.

3 questions that I feel are necessary before giving any suggestions on this.

1: Are you planning a nice sit down lunch in Marigot that takes time like say Tropicana which opens at noon I believe or are you talking a quick bite at one of the LOLO-type places or a bakery?

2: What time is your all a board time?

3: Will you be using taxi's and need to make sure that you can get one easily to return to the ship from the beach or are you renting a car?

These are essential questions in my opinion at least. 😊

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

We walked to Philipsburg and took local bus/van to Marigot. There, we walked around a bit and sat at bar along the waterfront for a drink. Then, we hopped in a taxi for a ride to Orient Beach. We had lunch at Kakao and rented chairs/umbrella from them. It was an enjoyable day, although if I had to do it over, I'd skip Marigot and just go to Orient Beach.

What was the price of the chair rentals ?

$35 for 3 chairs and 1 umbrella.

I asked another group and they paid $25 for 2 chairs. Seems that is the going rate from the larger operations with bars and restaurants. We did not venture to the farther ends of the beach where lower prices "might" be possible.