Niece's Question Re QM2 Inside

Tess of the Sea

My niece is a college student and wants to travel to Europe on QM2, possibly by herself, and as a student she's on a budget and wants a less expensive inside stateroom, but it has to be midships because she gets seasick if it's rough.

She's choosing between an Atrium Inside on Deck 5 and a regular Inside on Deck 11 which is midships. Is the Atrium stateroom better? She says she prefers to be on a higher deck, but is afraid of feeling claustrophobic without a window.

Edited by Tess of the Sea

My niece is a college student and wants to travel to Europe on QM2, possibly by herself, and as a student she's on a budget and wants a less expensive inside stateroom, but it has to be midships because she gets seasick if it's rough.

She's choosing between an Atrium Inside on Deck 5 and a regular Inside on Deck 11 which is midships. Is the Atrium stateroom better?

If she gets seasick then she needs to be lower in the ship. The higher, even though midship, you feel more motion.

Yes, lower deck is a good idea for less motion.

I think inside cabins are "cozy" not "claustrophobic."

Since your niece is on a budget, I have to ask: is she aware that --when booking a cabin by herself---she will have to pay more than a single fare? It's something like 175% of a double booking.

So, not a bargain, but she can bring a LOT of belongs for the transit.

Yes, lower deck is a good idea for less motion.

I think inside cabins are "cozy" not "claustrophobic."

Since your niece is on a budget, I have to ask: is she aware that --when booking a cabin by herself---she will have to pay more than a single fare? It's something like 175% of a double booking.

So, not a bargain, but she can bring a LOT of belongs for the transit.

Thanks. The crossing will be in summer, so she probably won't be seasick. The question is, is the Atrium stateroom worth it? Is it nice? She's rather be higher up to be near the Sports Centre, pool and sun deck, but wants to know if the Atrium is nicer.

You can't see anything below?

If you crane your neck and the precise angle and use a mirror, yes :D. The windows in the atrium cabins are quite small and as Underwatr says, you really can only see the cabin opposite

On the QM2, the Fitness Center is on deck 7, not "high up." Is it the Fitness Center she is interested in?

Up on the top deck is a basketball court, I think, and a paddle tennis court (where wind can be a problem). Not much in the way of "sports"….

I think it is lovely that she is interested in the experience of traveling by ship.

My niece is a college student and wants to travel to Europe on QM2, possibly by herself, and as a student she's on a budget and wants a less expensive inside stateroom, but it has to be midships because she gets seasick if it's rough. ...
Midships on a low deck minimizes apparent ship's motion. But, considering the hefty single supplement, booking any cabin on QM2 by herself is a budget oxymoron. I've been on QM2 several times when the seas were very rough: the seas were very rough, the motion of QM2 very much less so. Of course you feel the ship's motion some in storms, after all the ship is moving through water which is moving like crazy. Tell your niece to eat candied ginger while staring at the horizon if the sea is fractious and she'll be fine.

Midships on a low deck minimizes apparent ship's motion. But, considering the hefty single supplement, booking any cabin on QM2 by herself is a budget oxymoron. I've been on QM2 several times when the seas were very rough: the seas were very rough, the motion of QM2 very much less so. Of course you feel the ship's motion some in storms, after all the ship is moving through water which is moving like crazy. Tell your niece to eat candied ginger while staring at the horizon if the sea is fractious and she'll be fine.

Yes, I think once she is aware of the cost she is going to find a school friend to travel with her. It's safer too (once she arrives in Europe), and I would feel more reassured as I'm certain her parents would.