money

papa4848

We usually bring about 20 to 50 Euros left over from past trips that we bring along for tips and a coffee, or magazine. First thing we do upon landing or getting to our hotel is go to a bank or hotel ATM to get Euros or local currency, you're going to need Swiss Francs. If you purchased your air from AMA, that should include transfers from the airport to your hotel. If you have a Visa or Master Card you won't have any trouble using it at the airport, hotels or restaurants. Ask them if you can get a card with chip/pin technology. Answer will probably be "no" so ask if you can get one with chip/sign, which they pretty much all have now. If you have a Capital One card use it as much as possible because they don't charge foreign transaction fees, which add 2-5% to each purchase you make. During our trip depending on whether we're in a Euro country or not, we rely on Cap One for everything and keep about $100 in local currency. If we're in a Euro country we'll take out more because we can always use it or bring it home for next time.

Get an ATM card that doesn't charge fees, then you don't need to take any money. Hit the ATM at the airport for $100 worth, then top up as needed.

Even if your debit/ATM card charges a few percent on a foreign transaction, you will still be ahead of the game exchanging cash at a bank or currency exchange office either at home or abroad. You need to plan on hitting an ATM at least twice . . . once for Swiss Francs and again for Euros.

As for how much cash. Switzerland is expensive! Keep that in mind. Also the Franc has not fallen against the dollar as the Euro has. Unless you plan to use cash for a number of meals off the ship and during the pre tour you really won't need a lot of cash. Some coins for toilets and cash tips for guides, some cash for beer, wine, coffee etc while out and about, and perhaps some admission fees.

I always bringing a couple hundred Euro with me. I order from my bank before leaving. To me the exchange fee is worth the peace of mind knowing I don't need to get off an 10+ hr International flight and try to find an ATM.

I'll be tired and that's the last thing I want to mess with.

Just try to have some kind of local currency for an emergency.

Edited by JVilleGal

Good advice to use an ATM to obtain local currency. I research my arrival airport as to ATM locations and usually find them in the arrivals hall. I have yet to come across a foreign ATM that does not have an option to use English. Always a quick and easy transaction.This will most likely be the least expensive way to obtain local currency. For a back up, you could bring US dollars and exchange them in an emergency although this is unlikely. I think most experienced travelers rely on ATMs and a credit card. As was already mentioned, there are credit and ATM cards that do not charge fees. Don't forget to put in travel notifications so your credit and/or ATM card isn't denied.

Charles Schwab Bank accounts offer an ATM card for which there is not only no use fee anywhere in the world, but the bank will rebate any fees charged by the bank that operates the ATM. With this account, we have no need to take cash out of the USA.

I've never had any difficulty finding an ATM anywhere, though I admit I've not traveled to the Third World or Asia.

I just got off the phone with Capital One to find out if we could get a pin & chip card. They said that this year they are transitioning all their cards to chip cards (not pin & chip, but they should work with chip readers). They've started sending out the new cards to people with mileage rewards. The cash rewards people (like me) are scheduled next. Unfortunately you can't request one to get ahead of the line. They're also transitioning to where each person has a unique card number, so if one card is compromised the entire account doesn't need to be cancelled.

I know this is just a matter of opinion/perspective, but a service charge of $15 seems ridiculous when I can get cash from an ATM with a better exchange rate for a couple Euro + 1-2% of what I withdraw (my credit union charges to withdraw foreign currency, but not much).

Edited by ewizabeff

I know this is just a matter of opinion/perspective, but a service charge of $15 seems ridiculous when I can get cash from an ATM with a better exchange rate for a couple Euro + 1-2% of what I withdraw (my credit union charges to withdraw foreign currency, but not much).

Ayup! And the bank I use refunds the local bank ATM charge.

• 1 month later...

Are you certain about the no foreign transaction fees on ATM withdrawals? I read "ATM fee rebates..." and "no FTF on purchases." I did not see FTF on withdrawal mentioned specifically.

Then again, I didn't dig very deep into terms and conditions. But loopholes tend to not go in the consumer's favor.:rolleyes:

Thanks . . . sadly, no Scheab account in this house.
You don't need a Schwab brokerage account to open an account with Schwab Bank. Just open the account as you would at any other bank. Pretty much the sole reason we have an account there is to take advantage of fee-free foreign ATM use. Edited by MaxBuck

For those of you with the Schwab accounts, do you have the checking or savings? The checking keeps mentioning "tied into your Schwab brokerage account," and I don't want a brokerage account. Edited to add: I see that you have to open a brokerage account to open a checking account, although you don't have to use it.

The savings account FAQs mentions that currency exchange transaction fees are not subject to rebate. Is that something they charge, or the bank of the ATM you're using?

Edited by hiccups

This is why I use the Capital One card. No annual fees and no FTF! I don't use it at home so I don't have the same credit limit as I do on M/C or Visa, but it's enough to cover pretty much anything I want and my purchases are insured......which came in handy when a merchant in Romania pulled a "bait and switch" on me. Save your receipts!!!

Have used our Schwab Debit card on our last 3 European trips with multiple ATM withdrawals and never any FTF fees-or any other additional fees either.

We have both. Yes you need the brokerage account but it just sits there inactive. We aren't using it. Keep in mind that if you only have the savings account, banking regulations (not Schwab rules) limit your ATM withdrawals to a maximum of 6 per statement period. We have never been charged any fees for ATM withdrawals from either the checking or the savings account. Schwab has not ever tried to encourage us to use the brokerage account. If you have a Schwab office near you, you can open an account there and they will take a check for the opening amount. Unfortunately you can only make additional deposits at a Schwab Bank branch. We don't have one near us so they sent us postage paid envelopes for deposits. You can also set up deposits with your smart phone. I haven't done that yet do I cannot comment on how that works.

We have both. Yes you need the brokerage account but it just sits there inactive. We aren't using it. Keep in mind that if you only have the savings account, banking regulations (not Schwab rules) limit your ATM withdrawals to a maximum of 6 per statement period. We have never been charged any fees for ATM withdrawals from either the checking or the savings account. Schwab has not ever tried to encourage us to use the brokerage account. If you have a Schwab office near you, you can open an account there and they will take a check for the opening amount. Unfortunately you can only make additional deposits at a Schwab Bank branch. We don't have one near us so they sent us postage paid envelopes for deposits. You can also set up deposits with your smart phone. I haven't done that yet do I cannot comment on how that works.

This is where that "inactive" brokerage account comes in handy -- you can make a deposit at any Schwab offer into the brokerage account, then go online and transfer the money to your Schwab Bank account. The smart phone deposit feature also works pretty well.

I'm not sure if Hydrokitty has addressed this, but just to clarify, you can get a Capital One checking account with debit cards. The account can be opened on line and use on-line banking to transfer money in and out. We fund it up a few weeks before our trips and it works flawlessly at any ATM in Europe. No transaction fees and they refund any fees you may be charged at a foreign atm:p

Compare to the Wells Fargo $5 plus 2% on each ATM withdrawal.:mad:

FM

This is where that "inactive" brokerage account comes in handy -- you can make a deposit at any Schwab offer into the brokerage account, then go online and transfer the money to your Schwab Bank account. The smart phone deposit feature also works pretty well.

Didn't know I could deposit into the brokerage (at a local office) and transfer to the checking. Thanks for the info.