Long piers

Jules59

Hi all.

While I'm not really disabled, I can't walk a very long distance for very long. I have several different health problems and do not work for a paying job. My question is when we are docked at some ports and we are the 2nd ship in line, I am worn out by the time we get to the end of the pier. I do not use a wheelchair unless absolutely necessary. Is their some way to get transportation from out ship to the end of the pier where the taxis are?

Thanks,

Jules

Hi all.

While I'm not really disabled, I can't walk a very long distance for very long. I have several different health problems and do not work for a paying job. My question is when we are docked at some ports and we are the 2nd ship in line, I am worn out by the time we get to the end of the pier. I do not use a wheelchair unless absolutely necessary. Is their some way to get transportation from out ship to the end of the pier where the taxis are?

Thanks,

Jules

You are correct. Every port is different. Some times it is a long walk even if you are on the first ship.

Some ports do have transportation from ship to end of pier. Some poirts do not. Some ports have a long walk up or down a series of ramps just to get on the dock. Talk to the excursion desk to get an idea of how long the walk, including ramps, will be. Use your wheel chair. If you are touring with a taxi they may be able to store the wheel chair in the trunk.

I posted this some time back:

Sept 22 Enchantment of the Seas New England/Canadaa, Good/Bad/Ugly.

Just off this cruise. I have limited mobility and sleep apnea.

I brought my C-PAP, power chair, & cane.

I had contacted "Special Needs" who had promised extension cord & distilled water. It was not supplied, for the 3rd time in a row. But my wonderful cabin attendant fixed everything up. As well as keeping me in ice.

Now lets talk about excursions. Royal Carribean lies when they describe excursions. For example a walk of 200 feet, ignoring the half mile treck from the ship to the tour bus.

Portland. I used my cane, long walk – no shuttle. When I got to the bus found out if I had made prior arrangements, they might have been able to handle my power chair. My long legs would not fit in the seats so I had to sit sideways. Missed seeing a lot of things.

Bar Harbor (tendered) I had to use my cane. After getting off the tender I had a long walk. Then was told the tour bus was up the steep hill. I said there was no way. They brought the bus to me. Very nice.

Saint John. I used my cane, long walk – no shuttle. I managed to sit at the back of the bus, so I had leg room but lost some sight seeing.

Halifax. Rode my power chair from ship to terminal building where I was picked up by BrucesTours.ca that i had a private tour set up with. Parked my power chair. Used my cane to walk a short distance to Bruce's mini-van. Very nice tour. I will be doing more private tours.

Boston. I had talked to the excursion desk and was told that some of the trolleys had lifts. So I rode down to the terminal building and talked to trolley people. They brought in a trolley with lift and I was first on board that trolley. Had the best seat on the tour.

Lessons learned:

Book more private tours, try for ones that can take me and my chair.

Avoid going ashore if tendered.

Talk to the excursion desk first thing. Find out if they can help you take your chair on your tour. Ask them how long of a walk it is from leaving the ship to getting on the tour bus.

Hi all.

Thanks,

Jules

Very few ports offer any type of assistance from the ship to the taxi stand. The only time I ever experienced this being offered was back in 2007 in Alaska and I can't remember which port it was.

Bottom line it is your responsiblity to make certain you have what is required for you to safely get from the ship to the taxi stand. You either need to bring a wheelchair. Or perhaps a rollator with a seat so if you need to rest along the way.

A few years ago one of the stops was at Cabo. From the point where the tenders stopped to where the street is, is so long that by the time I got out there I was too tired to go anywhere.:o I had to sit & rest until I was able to walk back to the tender area. I went back to the ship and stayed there for the remainder of the day.

I am not planning of having a wheelchair in our cabin. I can usually get along fine with a cane. My biggest problem is walking distances. And lots of stairs. We'll be on the western carribean one week and southern the next. It's just if that port has a long distance from ship to shore and I don't have to walk far on the pier, I'd be much better after we got to town or a shopping area were I could sit every once in a while. Some of those piers are so long that I'm done in by the time I get to the end of them.

I am not planning of having a wheelchair in our cabin. I can usually get along fine with a cane. My biggest problem is walking distances. And lots of stairs. We'll be on the western carribean one week and southern the next. It's just if that port has a long distance from ship to shore and I don't have to walk far on the pier, I'd be much better after we got to town or a shopping area were I could sit every once in a while. Some of those piers are so long that I'm done in by the time I get to the end of them.

I would suggest you take a folding wheelchair with you and plan to use it for shore excursions, as long as you have an available "pusher" to help you. You may also find you need it for long distances on the ship. You cannot depend on being able to use the ship's wheelchairs for this, and once you are off the gangplank, you are at the mercy of the port not the ship's services.

Since I am physically able to walk limited distances, I can relate to your problem. I do believe that you would experience a hardship getting to a taxi at the majority of the ports. They all seem to be oriented toward shopping before one can get to the taxi area. Below is what little info I can offer on a few of the ports.

Grand Cayman: The tender takes to the dock in downtown. No problem.

Cozumel: Believe the International pier and Puerta Maya Pier offer the rickshaws through the terminals. Do not recall seeing any rickshaws at Punta Langosta Pier.

Roatan: Mahogany Bay is Carnival's port of call and the majority of the other ships dock at Coxen Hole. Do not recall seeing any source of transportation through either terminal.

Belize is another tendered port, however the tender dock is in the middle of the terminal shopping area. Again, did not see any form of transportation to the taxi area.

Aruba and Curacao: Too many years ago, do not remember what they were like.

Princess Cays: Ship's private island. Once the tender drops you off, you are there.

I would suggest you consider a small mobility scooter. You can maintain your own independence, enjoy your trip and not detain anyone else. Most of the small scooters can be disassembled so that they fit in the trunk of the car.

Betty

I would second the idea of a small scooter, possibly arranging a rental if you do not need one at home. These two itineraries are well suited to scooting as there is very good access to interesting sights and shopping just a ways off the ship, but some long piers. For instance, Aruba was very easy with a scooter but would have been impossible for me without one.

Also, these are reasonably flat ports compared to the New England ones written about above, except for Portland,ME, which is flat also. Bar Harbor is certainly uphill getting off the tender but the kind Celebrity port folks insisted on putting me in a wheelchair (though I don't use one now) and pushing me up the hill, which I greatly appreciated. They must keep one there just in case someone needs a push. They are the greatest!

Happy travels.

An amusing story about Cozamel. The rickshaws read "free" ride to the ship/dock but when we get there the driver said " Sorry but $2 tip is not enough, it is now $3. tip that is required". I laughed for an hour.

I agree about the small scooter and bought one for $300 on craig's list which was cheaper than rental fees for a two week cruise. I also enjoy my sturdy walker with a seat for the longer hauls as it has a great place to rest anytime I want.

My husband has the same problem.The pier Roatan was horribly long, but Carnival did let us us a ship wheelchair which we parked in the first store in the village. Since Carnival owns that pier, it was no problem. The rest of the walk to the tour drivers was terrible, too. As much as we liked Roatan, we would not go back or would just stay on the ship. It was very, very frustrating.

St. Kitts and St. Maarten had golf carts, Nassau has a free bus that takes you to you ship, Cozumel, the rickshaws, St. Lucia is no problem, either is Grand Cayman, nor Belize.

We are going on the Carnival Valor in two weeks. My husband just purchased a rollator to use as needed on the ship or off. He is large and would need a larger scooter than wuld fit in a standard balcony cabin. The rollator folds up. Since his doctors want him to walk as much as possible, the rollator offers him the chance to walk, and the chance to rest as needed.

I wish the ships would provide information about the walk/transportation for each port. For those of us with problems, you hesitate to book excursions because you are not sure you will be able to handle the walk to get to them.

I ask specific questions when I read reviews of those who have been to various ports. I understand Key West will be fine, but that Ocho Rios has a very long pier. They now have transportors,people who will push you in a wheelchair if needed. I sure hope my source was correct.

Thanks for the info everyone. I know that if we just want to walk around town, if I'm rested by the time we get there, I can usually manage it. Just take a lot of breaks and set down when I can. I just didn't want to get all tired out by the time we got from ship to the port. Thanks again.

My husband has the same problem.The pier Roatan was horribly long, but Carnival did let us us a ship wheelchair which we parked in the first store in the village. Since Carnival owns that pier, it was no problem. The rest of the walk to the tour drivers was terrible, too. As much as we liked Roatan, we would not go back or would just stay on the ship. It was very, very frustrating.

St. Kitts and St. Maarten had golf carts, Nassau has a free bus that takes you to you ship, Cozumel, the rickshaws, St. Lucia is no problem, either is Grand Cayman, nor Belize.

We are going on the Carnival Valor in two weeks. My husband just purchased a rollator to use as needed on the ship or off. He is large and would need a larger scooter than wuld fit in a standard balcony cabin. The rollator folds up. Since his doctors want him to walk as much as possible, the rollator offers him the chance to walk, and the chance to rest as needed.

I wish the ships would provide information about the walk/transportation for each port. For those of us with problems, you hesitate to book excursions because you are not sure you will be able to handle the walk to get to them.

I ask specific questions when I read reviews of those who have been to various ports. I understand Key West will be fine, but that Ocho Rios has a very long pier. They now have transportors,people who will push you in a wheelchair if needed. I sure hope my source was correct.

Thanks so much for the info on Nassau. Do you know if the taxi runs regularly or do you have to request it. Thanks!!

Cozumel-ricksaws. Aruba:did a private tour and the bus was near the pier. There are some shops in the terminal. The main shopping area is far if you have trouble walking. Curacao:pier is not long.there are some shops near the ship. Take your time walking. I did see benches. The main shopping area is not doable for people with walking problems. La romana: guys had wheelchairs to take you up the short hill. They were at the top of the hill in the pm. Grand Turk: guys to take you from the ship to the shopping area. They work on tips.

• 1 month later...

I am travelling with my arthritic mom who usually uses a cane or a rollator with a seat. Can anyone provide insights about the piers at St. Croix, St Kitts (did you have to prerequest a golf cart or are they there for anyone to use?), Dominica, Greneda and St. Thomas. We are sailing on Celebrity's Summit.

As well, I am on the fence about whether to bring a borrowed wheelchair from home in addition to the rollator. Any insights?

Thanks for the info on St. Kitts, St. Maarten and St. Lucia. Do know if Barbados or St. Thomas have long piers? So, St. Kitts and St. Maarten do have long piers?

We are traveling with my dad who also can't walk long distances. I'm planning excursions to suit him but now I'm concerned if he will even make it to the end of the pier with his cane. My stepmom, also joining us, has problems with stairs so I'd also like to know if any of these ports has stairs. She can easily walk if there are ramps.

Just returned from a Caribbean cruise a few weeks ago. We were docked the last ship out at many of the ports. If I didn't have a travel scoot, I would never have been able to walk down the pier to where the taxis are. You can rent a small travelscoot.com for your cruise. Check out the website. It folds up very small and can be used to ride right to the airport gate.

Check with the cruise line - probably the accessibility dept.

We were on Norwegian's Pride of America a few weeks ago and they handled this beautifully. My DH used a scooter on the ship but it was not practical for shore excursions. When we came into port we would call guest services and they would send someone with a wheelchair up to our room and he would be wheeled off the ship right down to where the taxi's or busses were. When we returned from our excursion we would find someone from security - they would call the ship and within minutes we had a wheelchair taking him from where we got off the bus/ taxi and right back to our room.

Check with the cruise line - probably the accessibility dept.

We were on Norwegian's Pride of America a few weeks ago and they handled this beautifully. My DH used a scooter on the ship but it was not practical for shore excursions. When we came into port we would call guest services and they would send someone with a wheelchair up to our room and he would be wheeled off the ship right down to where the taxi's or busses were. When we returned from our excursion we would find someone from security - they would call the ship and within minutes we had a wheelchair taking him from where we got off the bus/ taxi and right back to our room.

Thank you. I'll do this. My dad and stepmom won't need it to get off the ship but definately if it's a long pier. I will call guest services and see if they could have one waiting at the exit of the ship on the pier.

We were on the same Maasdam cruise as Carol & Sam, and we can all attest to the fact that in many ports, the Maasdam was docked at the "end of the line" of the ships in port.

St. Thomas - Crown Bay - we were alone in port.

St. Barth's - tender port - easy walk around town

Martinique - very long pier - but this year (for the 1st time that we've seen), they had buses to take people into town

Barbados - we were on the North side - other ships closer were the Serenade of the Seas, Freewinds, and the Braemar (Fred Olson); shuttles were provided.

Grenada - docked with the Constellation - longish walk but not as far others.

Bonaire - at the pier in town. Easy.

Curacao - docked third in line from the swinging bridge! Crystal Symphony and the Braemar.

Aruba - docked down by the container pier - beyond a Princess ship and a P & O the same size as the Princess (Emerald Princess perhaps?).

Many of us on the ship wondered if HAL is realizing a savings by docking in the less desirable spaces in port?

I'm glad I had the foresight to bring along my Travel Scoot as well! :rolleyes:

Archived