Excursions with medication restrictions?

justsandy

I looked around for an answer to this, I really, really did. :)

We're heading out for an Exotic 14 nighter on the Eclipse this spring and I was browsing shore excursions. In Bonaire, there's a mild level trip to the beach to see where the flamingos and other fauna hang out.

But! The restrictions state that anyone taking ANY medications other than birth control are not eligible for this trip. What? Does anyone know why?

Any insight you can give me would be appreciated!

My insight would be to call celebrity and find out why they could possibly have such a ridiculous restriction on an excursion.

Alternatively you might save the call and frustration of trying to explain....just ignore it because there is a 99.999999% chance that it's just another error on Celebrity's web site.

We're heading out for an Exotic 14 nighter on the Eclipse this spring and I was browsing shore excursions. In Bonaire, there's a mild level trip to the beach to see where the flamingos and other fauna hang out.

But! The restrictions state that anyone taking ANY medications other than birth control are not eligible for this trip. What? Does anyone know why?

I don't have the answer, but I'm interested in that excursion, too, and thought it was a mighty strange restriction. Other restrictions (age, weight, major health issue) usually make sense, according to various excursion factors, but this? What does my taking a statin have to do with my ability to birdwatch?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

A flamingo is a bird, birds carry disease. My doctor advised me to stay away from excursions with birds or monkeys. Check with your doctor before you put yourself at risk. Just my humble opinion. ☺

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've never signed up for, nor do I like Excursions where you're up close (touching, petting, swimming-with, riding) any wild or tamed creature. But, I can't imagine what the health risk could possibly be, observing from a distance, birds or monkeys.

The animals might not be a risk to you, but you might be a risk to them.

indeed, you are correct. I had the opportunity to get into a large caged area with Giant Pandas in Chengdu a couple of years ago and they made me wear plastic booties and gloves, not to protect me but to protect the pandas.

Edited by ghstudio

I read the complete description on this excursion and it doesn't say anything about medications. It only states " Guests who have concerns should consult with their personal physician." Is it possible that once you log in and are registered for this cruise that the description changes?

Also, it is a wildlife refuge and they recommend taking bug repellent. That alone tells me this may not be a comfortable excursion.

The animals might not be a risk to you, but you might be a risk to them.

indeed, you are correct. I had the opportunity to get into a large caged area with Giant Pandas in Chengdu a couple of years ago and they made me wear plastic booties and gloves, not to protect me but to protect the pandas.

Yes BUT, concern for the animals has nothing to do with taking any medication..unless I'm missing something.:confused:

Try asking this on the Bonaire sub-forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69

I have been on that tour in Bonaire. You do see flamingos but at a fair distance. They are on mud flats fishing for little crabs and such. It is a natural preserve and you cannot get up close and disturb them.

Nothing was said about medications. It is not a rough terrain ride like on some island excursions.

Fret not. If you can sit in a van, you can take this excursion.

I would also recommend the glass bottom boat ride. You cannot imagine the crystal clear water that surrounds Bonaire.

I will be on that cruise beginning March 20 for my "birthday cruise".

Edited by Sandtrap328

I read the complete description on this excursion and it doesn't say anything about medications. It only states " Guests who have concerns should consult with their personal physician." Is it possible that once you log in and are registered for this cruise that the description changes?

Also, it is a wildlife refuge and they recommend taking bug repellent. That alone tells me this may not be a comfortable excursion.

There's a link to 'restrictions' at the end of the excursion description (before you choose it) that has the weird wording as stated by the OP.

Almost every outdoor excursion in the Caribbean suggests insect repellent, and a wildlife refuge isn't like a zoo or aviary where you might come in contact with the birds or animals. Sounds quite comfortable to me.

The original question remains unanswered.

I have been on that tour in Bonaire. You do see flamingos but at a fair distance. They are on mud flats fishing for little crabs and such. It is a natural preserve and you cannot get up close and disturb them.

Nothing was said about medications. It is not a rough terrain ride like on some island excursions.

Fret not. If you can sit in a van, you can take this excursion.

I would also recommend the glass bottom boat ride. You cannot imagine the crystal clear water that surrounds Bonaire.

I will be on that cruise beginning March 20 for my "birthday cruise".

Great info! Someone on my roll call, and like me, has been to all the other islands on our sailing, but not Bonaire. I'll pass the info along about both the excursions you mention. We're on the 3/19 Eclipse 14-nighter out of Miami. Maybe we'll cross paths somewhere down in the Caribbean.

Getting back to the OP's opening comment, isn't that restriction bizarre?

That would probably eliminate 90% of the adult passengers from taking that excursion.

From plain aspirin to seasick medication to blood pressure medication to etc., almost every adult takes some medication.

Edited by caribill