Bears

brian1

Hi,we stayed at the Princess McKinley Lodge recently.We spent money on tours to see bears and didn't see any.The next day going to breakfast there was one in the bin behind the restaurant nicking a slice of pizza.He eventually got pepper sprayed which annoyed me,because Princess say it is illegal to tempt bears on site with easy food and they leave their bins unsecured,as you guys say,go figure,cheers,Brian.

Bears can be HUGE pests. We get them now and then at our house. They are always looking for an easy meal.

HI,but the point I was making is that this poor sod should have not been sprayed if Princess practised what it preached and this bear would not have an easy meal every morning,cheers,Brian.

HI,but the point I was making is that this poor sod should have not been sprayed if Princess practised what it preached and this bear would not have an easy meal every morning,cheers,Brian.

Sorry, but a "fed bear is a dead bear".

Didn't you see the incident reports with a bear at Denali, this season? (which is only ONE example)

Sorry, but a "fed bear is a dead bear".

Didn't you see the incident reports with a bear at Denali, this season? (which is only ONE example)

What does that mean?

No I didn't see reports. I would agree with Brian, bears should be feeding in the wilderness not at a hotel, food should NOT be left for them to find.

Your explanation would be helpful BQ.

Thanks

What does that mean?

"a fed bear is a dead bear"? Euthanized is too mild a word to describe having to have an acclimated animal killed.

There is no re-hab (Betty Ford Clinic) for animals that have been acclimated to eating outside their natural environment. This is why you'll see some adverse reactions (mine) to baiting eagles or bears for the benefit of tourist "wilderness" experiences. The tourists leave, the animals remain.

Most Alaskan cities have requirements and fines for anti-bear garbage containers. My town doesn't allow dumping fish waste (guts) in the harbor to eliminate aggressive sea lion behavior.

Those bins are bear proofed. Some HUMAN didn't close and lock one properly, and a bear, raccoon, skunk etc will easily figure it out. I'm thinking the spray was darn humane ...maybe use it on the very careless human next time.;)

Those bins are bear proofed. Some HUMAN didn't close and lock one properly, and a bear, raccoon, skunk etc will easily figure it out. I'm thinking the spray was darn humane ...maybe use it on the very careless human next time.;)

Agree about human error.

We car camp in Sequoia NP. Different lids on trash cans because Mommas teach their cubs. Late one night a bear was getting into the campground dumpster. It was dog leash clip locked, bear ignored it, simply curled back the 1/4" steel lid.

Sprayed bear was probably a known bear that noise wouldn't run off. Spray is much more humane than a bear gun.