Tampa Info

Happy2cruise

cruise port to airport is about 6 miles as the crow flies. Flat rate taxi if going direct is under $30.

Cruise port is near the convention center so many will use hotels conv' to that. There is an Embassy Suites and a Marriott across the street from the convention center; both under a mile from cruise terminals. "Rocky Point" is also popular but not as close to the port.

google earth is your friend

I prefer flights after noon but 11 is doable. A factor IS day of the week because altho the airport is nearby, morning work traffic in Tampa is HORRIBLE and would make a quick dash to the airport almost impossible.

WARNING: At certain times of the year Tamba Bay can be CLOSED to ship traffic due to fog. Fall and spring .... a couple of times a year ships can be delayed several hours and in some cases a DAY or more due to fog .... If you've never cruised from Tampa you may want to SEARCH old threads about this . . . it is unpredictable but you want to be aware that it is a real possibility.

We prefer the Rocky Point area suggested above - nice area with several hotels, dining options, water (bay) views, etc. Some of the hotels offer cruise packages including transport from the airport and to/from the port.

Many others choose to stay near the TPA airport (Westshore), YBOR City (great nightlife) or there are some hotels (Embassy Suites & Marriott) in the Channelside area very near the port.

We prefer the Rocky Point area suggested above - nice area with several hotels, dining options, water (bay) views, etc. Some of the hotels offer cruise packages including transport from the airport and to/from the port.

Many others choose to stay near the TPA airport (Westshore), YBOR City (great nightlife) or there are some hotels (Embassy Suites & Marriott) in the Channelside area very near the port.

Thanks JohninDC, will check that out;)

Having never cruised out of Tampa was wondering if anyone could recommend hotels that cruisers stay at? Also, how far is cruiseport to the Airport and what is a recommended flight time. Thanks for any and all replies:)

3 hotels that have good cruise pkgs are:

Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point

Hampton Inn Rocky Point

Chase Suites Rocky Point

All of the above hotels are directly next to each other on Rocky Point Island...which is 5 min from Tampa Airport and a 15 min shuttle ride to the port.

Rocky Point overlooks Tampa Bay so the hotels have a nice waterfront view. There is a Bahama Breeze Restaurant between them so very convenient to walk over for dinner. They have entertainment on their deck each day starting at around 5pm.

It's a fun place with decent food, drinks and a Bay view.

All of the 3 hotels have almost an identical cruise pkg that includes an airport shuttle, free breakfast and a round trip shuttle to the port and then back to the airport or hotel after the cruise, for those that park their car.

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point twice pre-cruise. I was very happy with the hotel and the smoothness of the shuttle service. The Hampton and Chase Suites are next door and look just as nice. I would go with the one that offered the best deal.

**** Not all of the Tampa cruise hotels offer the round trip shuttle. It's an added bonus as the return trip is $25 -$30 in Taxi fare from the port to TIA....

The downtown Tampa hotels will put you closer to the port but you will pay considerably more $$. They also do not offer an airport shuttle so figure at least $30 and up from Tampa Airport to the downtown area.

I'm a Tampa Bay area resident now and would suggest to avoid any hotels in the Stadium and Fairgrounds area. It's solely my opinion, but kind of a shady areas.

✈✈✈✈ I've made an 11:30 am flight out of Tampa. We did the self-assist debark and we're at the airport by 9:20. That was in perfect weather conditions with no delays. I believe that the cruise lines recommend flights from Tampa noon or after. I wouldn't be comfortable with anything before 11:30.

Sent from my VS880 using Forums mobile app

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

Just wanted to add that the Westshore area is near the airport and around shopping. Also about a 15 min ride to the port. A decent area.

Ybor City is near the port but no airport shuttles so factor in your taxi fare to get here. There is also a lot of nightlife in this area....bars, clubs etc...

Channelside is the downtown area near the port... http://www.downtowntampahotels..com will give you a nice list.

Good luck and have fun.

Hampton Inn Rocky Point

Chase Suites Rocky Point

All of the above hotels are directly next to each other on Rocky Point Island...which is 5 min from Tampa Airport and a 15 min shuttle ride to the port.

Rocky Point overlooks Tampa Bay so the hotels have a nice waterfront view. There is a Bahama Breeze Restaurant between them so very convenient to walk over for dinner. They have entertainment on their deck each day starting at around 5pm.

All of the 3 hotels have almost an identical cruise pkg that includes an airport shuttle, free breakfast and a round trip shuttle to the port and then back to the airport or hotel after the cruise, for those that park their car.

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point twice pre-cruise. I was very happy with the hotel and the smoothness of the shuttle service. The Hampton and Chase Suites are next door and look just as nice. I would go with the one that offered the best deal.

**** Not all of the Tampa cruise hotels offer the round trip shuttle. It's an added bonus as the return trip is $25 -$30 in Taxi fare from the port to TIA....

The downtown Tampa hotels will put you closer to the port but you will pay considerably more $$. They also do not offer an airport shuttle so figure at least $30 and up from Tampa Airport to the downtown area.

I'm a Tampa Bay area resident now and would suggest to avoid any hotels in the Stadium and Fairgrounds area. It's solely my opinion, but kind of a shady areas.

✈✈✈✈ I've made an 11:30 am flight out of Tampa. We did the self-assist debark and we're at the airport by 9:20. That was in perfect weather conditions with no delays. I believe that the cruise lines recommend flights from Tampa noon or after. I wouldn't be comfortable with anything before 11:30.

So glad I stumbled on this post! Planning a cruise April 2017 out of Tampa and unless we get a phenomenal deal on airfare, we're planning on driving down. At the moment, it looks like Chase Suites has the best pricing since we're a family of 5 and would have to pay an additional $60 with Holiday Inn for the kids. Thanks for the info!

So glad I stumbled on this post! Planning a cruise April 2017 out of Tampa and unless we get a phenomenal deal on airfare, we're planning on driving down. At the moment, it looks like Chase Suites has the best pricing since we're a family of 5 and would have to pay an additional $60 with Holiday Inn for the kids. Thanks for the info!

You will be very happy with your choice!

👍👍👍

I also am cruising in Jan2017 out of Tampa. Flying in from Boston night before.

I have spenta lot of time looking for pre cruise hotels lol.

For me

Quality Inn Midtown Tampa

1020 South Dale Mabry

Looks like a middle of the road choice. They have transportation both ways and I Think they charge a small $8.00 fee to the cruise ship port.

I was going back and forth between Quality Inn and Tahitian Inn. Both very close to each other in price, reviews and location.

I decided on Quality Inn because it is walking distance to a wine store, Fresh Market and restaurants.

I will just have a carry on so I do not want the weight of two wine bottles!

I found many less expensive hotels and better values farther out, but you lose the value with cab fees. There is also a transportation company called Super Shuttle that I have used in the past. It could also be an option. I found them to be reliable and inexpensive if you share a van.

Has anyone stayed at a LaQuinta Inn property - either North or South? Looking for reasonable hotel for 2 nights prior to cruise. Driving from Pennsylvania to Tampa next January[/quote

I am a local and the the La Quinta location that would make the most sense pre-cruise would be the Tampa Airport location. It is in an upscale area across from the International Plaza Mall that offers shopping and a variety of different restaurants...some with entertainment. The hotel is also adjacent to a 24 hr IHOP for those arriving at odd hours.

The LaQuinta Tampa Airport location offers a small pp $ fee shuttle to the port of Tampa.....so a nice perk if you would be leaving your car at the hotel.

The LaQuinta North is on the opposite side of Tampa near USF. This hotel is near Busch Gardens but other than that not a great area....JMHO.

THE LaQuinta South is on Gandy Blvd...not an area many would use or think of as convenient for pre-cruise. It's located near Mac Dill AFB. There's a few fast food restaurants around but nothing special about this location.

🌞🌞

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

Has anyone stayed at a LaQuinta Inn property - either North or South? Looking for reasonable hotel for 2 nights prior to cruise. Driving from Pennsylvania to Tampa next January

I am a local and the the La Quinta location that would make the most sense pre-cruise would be the Tampa Airport location. It is in an upscale area across from the International Plaza Mall that offers shopping and a variety of different restaurants...some with entertainment. The hotel is also adjacent to a 24 hr IHOP for those arriving at odd hours.

The LaQuinta Tampa Airport location offers a small pp $ fee shuttle to the port of Tampa.....so a nice perk if you would be leaving your car at the hotel.

Thanks so much for that information! We are considering this LaQuinta for our pre-cruise hotel. I talked with someone at the hotel and was told we could leave our car at the hotel during the cruise for $5/night (5 nights), that the shuttle to the port is $10/person, and that a taxi back to the hotel post cruise would be approximately $20. I think I can use points for the room, making the total cost about $65 + tips).

The other LaQuinta location we are considering is Brandon/Regency Park. They do not offer a shuttle but I was told a taxi would be in the $25-30 range and that we could leave our car at the hotel during the cruise at no additional charge if we stayed there for one night. Again, looking to use points for the stay. I am leaning toward this location over the airport location as it would be an "easier" and shorter drive with no "backtracking" to get on our way post cruise. (We have stayed at the HGI Brandon/Riverview several times using their park and cruise package - that is another possibility this time.)

I would appreciate any information and/or comments you have on these choices, as well as other suggestions you might have. TIA!

Another option for drivers is to not stay in Tampa. You can park at the port for only $15/day and avoid shuttles and taxis; stay outside of Tampa someplace cheap and drive to the port the morning of your cruise. We have stayed in Orlando (1000's of hotels in every price range) and driven the 90+ minutes to Tampa the morning of the cruise. After your cruise you can load up the car and be on the road home in minutes, instead of waiting for the hotel shuttle.

Edited by JohninDC

We like the Embassy Suites, just a couple of blocks west of the terminal. You can walk to a grocery store for last minute purchases, there is a managers party with drinks and finger food at night and a pretty massive breakfast buffet.

Thanks so much for that information! We are considering this LaQuinta for our pre-cruise hotel. I talked with someone at the hotel and was told we could leave our car at the hotel during the cruise for $5/night (5 nights), that the shuttle to the port is $10/person, and that a taxi back to the hotel post cruise would be approximately $20. I think I can use points for the room, making the total cost about $65 + tips).

The other LaQuinta location we are considering is Brandon/Regency Park. They do not offer a shuttle but I was told a taxi would be in the $25-30 range and that we could leave our car at the hotel during the cruise at no additional charge if we stayed there for one night. Again, looking to use points for the stay. I am leaning toward this location over the airport location as it would be an "easier" and shorter drive with no "backtracking" to get on our way post cruise. (We have stayed at the HGI Brandon/Riverview several times using their park and cruise package - that is another possibility this time.)

I would appreciate any information and/or comments you have on these choices, as well as other suggestions you might have. TIA!

Yes, the Brandon/Riverview area would indeed put you closer to the port. Since you have a vehicle, needing restaurants and shops within walking distance is not an issue. I'm familiar with where that LQ is located. It's in a mostly corporate area that is very nice...I believe there is a Subway directly across from the hotel with other restaurants and a grocery store just being a short drive away. The Brandon Town Center Mall is also about a mile away. They have many restaurants and shops plus a Movie Theater. There is a Bahama Breeze Restaurant located at the mall.....a personal favorite for a pre-cruise atmosphere.

This LQ would be a good choice and I would have no issues leaving my car at this location.

👍

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

Thanks, Cari, for the helpful information.

I was all set to book the LaQuinta Brandon/Regency when I discovered no rooms are available to book using points for the date I need. :(

So, I think I will use points for a room at the LaQuinta airport location. I will keep researching to try to find a better option. Spending the night just outside Tampa and parking at the port is an option I will keep in mind, but we really prefer not to have to drive into the port areas.

I will keep the Brandon/Regency property in mind for November 2017 when we sail from Tampa again. :)

• 6 months later...

I was able to get the LaQuinta Brandon/Regency using points after all and just returned from my cruise on Brilliance of the Seas. This LaQuinta is in a great location with restaurants and shopping nearby and very easy off/on I-75. It was about a $26 taxi ride from the port and the drive took about 20 minutes. We left the hotel pre-cruise at 11:00 am and were onboard and eating lunch before noon. We left the ship around 8:20 am post cruise and were back at the hotel with luggage loaded and ready to start the drive home by 9:15 am.

I will definitely have this hotel and location at the top of my list for pre-cruise stay next November.

Hampton Inn Rocky Point

Chase Suites Rocky Point

Thanks for this info, this is what I was looking for!! :)

I was able to get the LaQuinta Brandon/Regency using points after all and just returned from my cruise on Brilliance of the Seas. This LaQuinta is in a great location with restaurants and shopping nearby and very easy off/on I-75. It was about a $26 taxi ride from the port and the drive took about 20 minutes. We left the hotel pre-cruise at 11:00 am and were onboard and eating lunch before noon. We left the ship around 8:20 am post cruise and were back at the hotel with luggage loaded and ready to start the drive home by 9:15 am.

I will definitely have this hotel and location at the top of my list for pre-cruise stay next November.

Do they offer a cruise snooze package, if so what is there price range? We are flying and not driving. Also, how did you like Brilliance? We go on her in March, sure hope its warm.

They do not offer a cruise/snooze package. This hotel is in Brandon, east of Tampa. The airport is west of the Port of Tampa. You want a hotel near the airport.

Brilliance was great! I love the Radiance class ships.

Edited by KroozFoolz

I'm wondering which is the better option, Rocky Point (Hampton Inn or one of those) or Embassy Suites? There are 4 of us. We are flying in, so need transport from the airport, and then transport to the cruise port. I would also like some kind of store within walking distance where I can pick up a 12 pack of pop and last minute stuff.

Thanks!