Sin City Comedy

mamamzee

If the show is called Sin City, I think I would expect Adult Humor, Adult language, Burlesque nature, etc

I think it is odd when people complain or would leave a show knowing what it is called ....... its like complaining that Qsine had too many quirky food options, or that 70's night played to many disco songs, or that it rained on a rainforest excursion .....

Not complaining- just went for my first time - won't go back to that show- just saying it was odd sitting in the show with all the adult men and women watching a young woman take her clothes off and roll around- I won't go back to that show.

Just for my own info- are these shoes on all celebrity ships?

Actually, the show is called "SIN CITY COMEDY".

http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_dailies.htm#day_2

So how does burlesque fit into comedy?

True "Burlesque" shows , as in the old late 19th early 20th century shows were just that. Risque comics (corny by today's standards) with strip tease acts (Think Gypsy Rose Lee , a glove , then another glove , then a glimpse of shoulder) in between.

loveandcruises:

"really, it has got to go!" no, your choice should be not to go. Others who enjoy this type of comedy and entertainment have the right to choose to go. If people like you who don't enjoy this type of show want it gone...how will those who enjoy it get to choose? No one is herding you to the show and locking the doors behind you.

*like*......no .....*love* :)

About 20-30 years ago in the UK in pubs and working men's clubs the attraction would be the strip show and the comedian would be the support.

Not prudish at all, and enjoy a lot of american stand-up (Dangerfield, kinison, Joan Rivers, Seinfeld) but would not expect to see something as full on as the British Comedian Chubby Brown nor would I expect to see some one doing the sort of jokes favoured by Some British comedians from the 1970s I.e. Racist humour.

I see a lot of threads about the shows , and comics on cruise ships. I get the feeling that many people have the feeling that even when a show says "Adult " they take it as "family friendly adult" (for lack of a better term)

That even though they say adult, they are still shocked that they really say adult things or use adult themes. That even though it may be a strictly adult show , it is still on a ship with ice skating rinks and rock walls, and kiddie pools and cartoon characters and a 1000 kids running all over , so they have to be careful.

Well Adult means adult no matter where you are , so be prepared.

Not complaining- just went for my first time - won't go back to that show- just saying it was odd sitting in the show with all the adult men and women watching a young woman take her clothes off and roll around- I won't go back to that show.

Just for my own info- are these shoes on all celebrity ships?

I was just wondering if these shows are on certain ships and / or certain sailings?

I see a lot of threads about the shows , and comics on cruise ships. I get the feeling that many people have the feeling that even when a show says "Adult " they take it as "family friendly adult" (for lack of a better term)

That even though they say adult, they are still shocked that they really say adult things or use adult themes. That even though it may be a strictly adult show , it is still on a ship with ice skating rinks and rock walls, and kiddie pools and cartoon characters and a 1000 kids running all over , so they have to be careful.

I get it! Adult is adult. I'm not slow-

Not interested in seeing the burlesque again- it was very tasteful, just odd "for me" to sit in a large room with all the other adults waiting for the adult humour- and watch the young lady strip her clothes off and roll around the table, chairs and floors. I'm not prudish- I'm not even 50 years old- it wasn't my thing. The comedy was split you sides funny, and raunchy- no qualms there! Would love to see more adult COMEDY.

I like the above poster is curious if this burlesque adult comedy is on all the ships! Wether there is slides and kiddies or wheelchairs and walkers-

Is it on all the ships????

:o little tents:eek:

ewwwww.... again.. not the type of show that needs to be on a luxury cruise ship... leave it in Vegas! I know what I am going to see when I go to a Las Vegas show, and I have seen them there-- totally topless-- and it was acceptable there... it was expected..

You have now read an entire thread on Cruise Critic about what to expect. So I guess it is now expected. So...don't go.

True.

Lol except none of those "ice skating rinks and rock walls, and kiddie pools and cartoon characters and a 1000 kids running all over" are on Celebrity Ships...

And still folks are SHOCKED when the Announcements say ADULT content...

I don't have an issue with those that choose not to attend, or even those that leave when they see it is not their thing. But I do take issue with those who

(a) Try to sneak their kids & teens in... In some cases holding up the start of the performance while the kids are removed (or Parent protests their kids exclusion :rolleyes: )

(b) Or see the show and how popular it is for other Pax, but still whinge about the content. Seriously folks just because it ain't your thing does not mean it is not someone else's.

And really do we need the Censorship Police to tell us what is & is not appropriate ADULT comedy. Don't like the show don't go. Entertainers with no audience are not entertainers they are people looking foolish without a job (audiences vote / pay with bums in seats, period)

Lol, but then I am come to the conclusion that too many people in society get themselves into these social predicaments just because they

(a) cannot read (or choose not to) the details of a performance

Lol or

(b) or just are not happy unless they are complaining about something

Cheers!

Lol, as true as my comments are, I admit I cannot but notice the irony... My posting a complaint about the complainers. Seems like a CC thing to do :D

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

True.

Lol except none of those "ice skating rinks and rock walls, and kiddie pools and cartoon characters and a 1000 kids running all over" are on Celebrity Ships...

And still folks are SHOCKED when the Announcements say ADULT content...

I don't have an issue with those that choose not to attend, or even those that leave when they see it is not their thing. But I do take issue with those who

(a) Try to sneak their kids & teens in... In some cases holding up the start of the performance while the kids are removed (or Parent protests their kids exclusion :rolleyes: )

(b) Or see the show and how popular it is for other Pax, but still whinge about the content. Seriously folks just because it ain't your thing does not mean it is not someone else's.

And really do we need the Censorship Police to tell us what is & is not appropriate ADULT comedy. Don't like the show don't go. Entertainers with no audience are not entertainers they are people looking foolish without a job (audiences vote / pay with bums in seats, period)

Lol, but then I am come to the conclusion that too many people in society get themselves into these social predicaments just because they

Lol or

(b) or just are not happy unless they are complaining about something

Cheers!

Lol, as true as my comments are, I admit I cannot but notice the irony... My posting a complaint about the complainers. Seems like a CC thing to do :D

Great post :) *LIKE*

Hmmmmmmmmmm now if you complain about complainers , doesn't that mean you are not a complainer *LOL* You know like 2 negatives make a positive :)

DW and I were eager to go on our trip this past summer on Silhouette. While we didn't think the content was out of line, we did find it to be BAD. The "MC" appeared to be drunk, slurring her words... We left after about 10 minutes along with about 10 other couples who all seemed to have the same thoughts, not too risqué but just BAD. I have seen so many good reviews of this show, so I think we just had a bad group on our ship....

Edited by rbuenger

This is so true. Reminds me of my bride and I attending a performance (here in Seattle) of a men's choral ensemble known as Captain Smarty Pants. They are composed of 8 gay men who are incredible singers and very "in your face" about their sexual identity in a VERY FUNNY WAY. We have seen them numerous times but the time that comes to mind was a packed auditorium 10 minutes into the performance and the woman in front of us turns to her husband and says, "Fred, I think they are queer." He says, "You are right Martha...they are!"

It was wonderful watching them squirm until intermission as the room was packed and they could not have gotten out without making a huge scene and been talked about from the stage. I think "Buyer Beware" comes to mind. Do some research. It amazes me that people will waste their time and money on a show that if they had just read the description they would have NEVER attended. :D

This is so true. Reminds me of my bride and I attending a performance (here in Seattle) of a men's choral ensemble known as Captain Smarty Pants. They are composed of 8 gay men who are incredible singers and very "in your face" about their sexual identity in a VERY FUNNY WAY. We have seen them numerous times but the time that comes to mind was a packed auditorium 10 minutes into the performance and the woman in front of us turns to her husband and says, "Fred, I think they are queer." He says, "You are right Martha...they are!"

It was wonderful watching them squirm until intermission as the room was packed and they could not have gotten out without making a huge scene and been talked about from the stage. I think "Buyer Beware" comes to mind. Do some research. It amazes me that people will waste their time and money on a show that if they had just read the description they would have NEVER attended. :D

*LOL*

Years ago we had one of those Theater in the Round tents in our area. Lots of name singers, bands , comics etc played there .

A group of us ahd gone to see Sam Kinison that night . Shortly before the show started this very sweet looking older couple sat in the seats in front of us and settled in. My friends and I looked at them and eachother like "Really???????' *LOL*

Once Sam got onstage and really started going. You could tell these people thought they had opened the gates of Hell and were watching Satan himself *LOL*

They didn't last 20 minutes and they were gone. Sam at least waited until they left before he started in on them. He said it happens . They are probably season ticket holders and get two tickets to everything so they figure what the heck lets go see the show . Then they realize I'm not @#$% Englebert Humperdink or %*&^ Perry Como *LOL*

...we never made it to the show(s). I think it played 3 times on our 14 day cruise. The earliest I remember it showing was at 11:45 p.m. After a full day of touring, that was much too late for us to be up. And on the one sea day that it played late, it was still too late for us to be up because we had a excursion the next day. Our tablemate commented on how funny the show was. Perhaps because we are old tired foggies, we just could not stay up late enough to see it.

Are these typical responses from Celebrity clientele????

Again, I'm new to cruising. Not feeling the love here on Celebrity- trying to have an adult discussion about the entertainment- and honestly have my opinion and seeking an answer if this is offered fleet wide?!

Sorry, I can't answer this for you ... just wanted to acknowledge your question. I can only assume that the SIN CITY comedy show is fleetwide.

Adult comedy shows are not exclusive to Celebrity, every line has them, even Disney.

Sorry, I can't answer this for you ... just wanted to acknowledge your question. I can only assume that the SIN CITY comedy show is fleetwide.

Adult comedy shows are not exclusive to Celebrity, every line has them, even Disney.

Thank you :D

I'm all for the adult comedy!!

Just the stripper part is odd, lol

But looks like I'm one of the few who think so -

To answer for those who have asked...

I assume you have not gotten a specific answer thus far because:

1- Comedians fall under Entertainment, so are contracted out... If Celebrity contracts one there is one on a sailing / ship (same as Jugglers, Magicians, etc)

And...

2- reading thru the various replies here... Reveals a lot.

YES Late Night Sin City Comedy is something that Celebrity has right now as a form of entertainment, because a quick glance thru this topic does show that it has been in place as far back as 2012 (Solstice) and as recent as just last week (Summit)... As well as being seen on others in the past months / year.

So ya, I would say it continues to be a Fleetwide program on both M & S Class Ships (of course YMMV... Depends entirely upon if a Comedian is available / booked for your cruise... See Point # 1)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thank you :D

I'm all for the adult comedy!!

Just the stripper part is odd, lol

But looks like I'm one of the few who think so -

You are! Just skip the show and have a martini, just please quit complaining about what others might enjoy.

Excuse me-I'm not complaining- wow-

I said I find it odd-big difference!

You're not alone. I feel the same way and I haven't seen the show yet. Thank you to the poster who explained the origins of the burlesque show; prior to that explanation the relevance of the burlesque act was lost on me.

I highly doubt that most people who go to a comedy show expect to see a burlesque act. I'm there to laugh. Out of curiosity, I checked the daily I linked to on the first page of this thread. In the description of show, they don't mention the burlesque act. So someone reading the dailie, would not necessarily expect this.

I checked the X website, and the burlesque act is mentioned in detail there. I also found the answer to maple leaf's question:

Check out our newest late-night comedy show, Sin City, aboard Celebrity Equinox℠, Celebrity Silhouette®, Celebrity Solstice® (as of 5/08/14) and Celebrity Summit (as of 4/26/14).

http://www.celebritycruises.com/htmlpage/sin-city#&panel1-3

and it looks like Flavor Flav is amongst the comedians who have been feature in the past!

sin-city-comedian-1-495x300.jpg

Thanks for that link-

I seem to be getting lost in translation to many here

I have said, I'm all for the adult humour, I get it! I just found it awkward and odd for the burlesque.

I saw the show- there were no nipples or any other body parts- but there were g-string/thongs- and some real pretty bras. And there was rolling around the floor, the chairs and laying on the tables. I certainly wasn't offended (I saw smaller outfits at the pool) I'm just saying - I found it a weird show for a cruise ship- again- I get it- it's the Sin City show from Vegas-

I just felt funny telling people (my friends, who have never cruised) all about our Celebrity cruise-

I'm not complaining- I don't give 2 hoots who goes and who doesn't.

And with that- I'm done defending myself- I hope you all have a great time at the show- and a fabulous cruise :D

Edited by mapleleafvoyage