Best Route from IAH to NASA area?

When I use google maps to get directions, it gives me 2 routes. One goes straight through downtown on 59/69 to I-45 and the other hops off at 610 and goes around the east side to catch I-45 on the south end of Houston. Google claims both are roughly the same distance and travel time

Anybody have experience with these routes that would prefer one over the other? My gut reaction is that the downtown route has to be messier and busier, but I've never been there.

I live just a few minutes from IAH and either route would be fine or not. Never know for sure until the day of arrival. Driving through downtown is usually not a problem if not during rush hour. The 610 route takes you across a huge bridge that crosses the Houston Ship Channel, kind of neat.

The main thing to check before your arrival is road construction, which could make for an easy decision. I45 south is notorious for never ending construction and partial closures.I have lived here for 35 years and it has always been under construction.

The main thing to check before your arrival is road construction, which could make for an easy decision. I45 south is notorious for never ending construction and partial closures.I have lived here for 35 years and it has always been under construction.

Before it got a number as part of the Interstate Highway System, the Gulf Freeway was started in 1954 and it has been under construction somewhere between Houston and Galveston constantly the entire time!! :eek::D:p

Before it got a number as part of the Interstate Highway System, the Gulf Freeway was started in 1954 and it has been under construction somewhere between Houston and Galveston constantly the entire time!! :eek::D:p

I know, you natives have been joking about the Gulf Freeway since the Texas/Mexican war. Just so many people moving into the greater Houston area that there is no way for the highway builders to keep up. Did you see (or read) that there are a 1,000,000 new folks that were not here during Hurricane Ike, and that seems like yesterday to me (09/13/2008).

Edited by sptrout

We usually to the 610 or Beltway to 45 then down to Nasa Rd One

If you add La Porte to the route it will take you on the outer loop a few minutes longer but less stressful in the traffic

Just watch the exits some are tricky :D

JMO

Edited by LHT28

We usually to the 610 or Beltway to 45 then down to Nasa Rd One

If you add La Porte to the route it will take you on the outer loop a few minutes longer but less stressful in the traffic

Just watch the exits some are tricky :D

JMO

Actually, the Beltway would be my preference also. However, parts of it are toll ways so be prepared. The Beltway does bypass nearly all construction areas (normally, no promises) and it too has an impressive bridge over the Ship Channel. It is an easy drive.

Actually, the Beltway would be my preference also. However, parts of it are toll ways so be prepared. The Beltway does bypass nearly all construction areas (normally, no promises) and it too has an impressive bridge over the Ship Channel. It is an easy drive.

When my brother lived in La Porte that is how we went but do not remember a toll road back then or maybe we just missed it ;)

it has been a few yrs since they moved to Pearland

When my brother lived in La Porte that is how we went but do not remember a toll road back then or maybe we just missed it ;)

it has been a few yrs since they moved to Pearland

Since you last visited, the Beltway east, then south, bound has been upgraded to an expressway with tolls. I think that the Ship Channel Bridge always has been a toll bridge. The Beltway now completely surrounds Houston, most of it as a toll road, but not all of it. They are now working on the Grand Parkway that again will surround Houston (or most of it), but about 10-20 miles further out.

Since you last visited, the Beltway east, then south, bound has been upgraded to an expressway with tolls. I think that the Ship Channel Bridge always has been a toll bridge. The Beltway now completely surrounds Houston, most of it as a toll road, but not all of it. They are now working on the Grand Parkway that again will surround Houston (or most of it), but about 10-20 miles further out.

YIKES

Will have to find alternative routes to Pearland next trip ;)

Progress is everywhere

When I use google maps to get directions, it gives me 2 routes. One goes straight through downtown on 59/69 to I-45 and the other hops off at 610 and goes around the east side to catch I-45 on the south end of Houston. Google claims both are roughly the same distance and travel time

Anybody have experience with these routes that would prefer one over the other? My gut reaction is that the downtown route has to be messier and busier, but I've never been there.

I must say Beltway 8 is the preferred path if you have ez-tag for the tolls. With that said, you are fine to take 59/69 all the way downtown to get a look at the tall buildings and ball fields early in the day. By afternoon your best bet is to take loop 610 around to I 45 as traffic increases as the day wears on, no matter which day of the week it is.

Edited by MoCowBell

I know, you natives have been joking about the Gulf Freeway since the Texas/Mexican war. Just so many people moving into the greater Houston area that there is no way for the highway builders to keep up. Did you see (or read) that there are a 1,000,000 new folks that were not here during Hurricane Ike, and that seems like yesterday to me (09/13/2008).

Well, The Battle Of San Jacinto was delayed because everybody got stuck in traffic. :D

Thanks for all the input folks. My flight is supposed to arrive around 1pm, so it will probably be about 2 by the time I collect baggage and get a rental car.

I'm inclined to avoid the toll road because of the way Budget charges for toll usage -- $3.95/day for the entire rental plus tolls, even if you only use the toll road for a mile during the entire time you have the car.

Sounds like 610 will probably be the better option by the time I hit the road.

Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok...so, here comes the silly question. We don't have toll roads/freeways here where we live - can anyone/everyone use them, and do you just drive thru a tollbooth and pay the toll on a daily basis or? We're flying into IAH, staying near that airport, spending a couple of days in the Houston area and renting a car. Have never been in Houston, so looking forward to it, although I just keep hearing how ugly the traffic is.

Any info is much appreciated!

As you are staying in Houston, just take 45 South to Galveston.

Also recommend taking 59 South from the airport into town, newer and better highway.

But this all depends on where you will be staying in Houston.

Have driven both the beltway (I have easy tag) and 610 around Houston to get to 45. Took much longer. Just last week, it took 2-1/2 hours via toll road to get to 45S - never again.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line!

Ok...so, here comes the silly question. We don't have toll roads/freeways here where we live - can anyone/everyone use them, and do you just drive thru a tollbooth and pay the toll on a daily basis or? We're flying into IAH, staying near that airport, spending a couple of days in the Houston area and renting a car. Have never been in Houston, so looking forward to it, although I just keep hearing how ugly the traffic is.

Any info is much appreciated!

It depends on the particular road. Some of the tollway entrances are 'EZTag only' which means you can't just drive up and pay cash. The on-ramp will be signed as such before you enter the tollway so that you can continue down the frontage road until you get the next manned booth, with the exception of the Westpark Tollway which is tag only the whole way. You pay each time you pass the booth, which can be several times on some journeys.

If you get a navigation system in your rental car it should give you the option to select routes that don't have tolls, if you just want to avoid them altogether. If you want to be sure, just stay off Beltway 8, and stick to US59/I69 and I45.

You don't need to ride any toll roads to get anywhere, there are plenty of alternatives. Just look out for the big yellow 'tollway' signs and avoid them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a smartphone, just punch it into Google maps right before you get on the road. It will always give you the fastest route. If you're from out of town, I'd always recommend just following the airport signs to I45 and taking it all the way to Galveston - its the least confusing and you won't be freaking out at the 610 interchanges.

Traffic will build up for a few minutes around downtown and almost always way down south about halfway to Galveston.