Suggestions for Provence (Toulon)..

seastar2

We will be here for one day in November...any suggestions..Favorite site or something unexpected you did or found...:rolleyes:

Private tours that were good..we aren't big fans of ships tours... Thanks:)

There is so much (or so little) info re this port if you read through some pages or so a search on this board. It seems like a tough port to do things more than most due to location.I don't think it is a fan favorite,but as I said a lot of info here.

We actually took the ship's tour. It was something like $50 pp and it got us there with a guide (although you don't need one). We were there on a Sunday and the public transportation schedules had fewer options than on a week day. The private tour option was more expensive. No big deal sitting on the bus with 40 people, when we got there we had a lot of time to explore on our own and just met back at the appointed time. We don't always use the ship's tour, but in this case we did and were happy how it worked out.

We actually took the ship's tour. It was something like $50 pp and it got us there with a guide (although you don't need one). We were there on a Sunday and the public transportation schedules had fewer options than on a week day. The private tour option was more expensive. No big deal sitting on the bus with 40 people, when we got there we had a lot of time to explore on our own and just met back at the appointed time. We don't always use the ship's tour, but in this case we did and were happy how it worked out.

Thanks for the feedback. We are on the same TA as the OP, and I've also been looking at options for Toulon. Taking an excursion to Aix sounds like a good one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks for the feedback. We are on the same TA as the OP, and I've also been looking at options for Toulon. Taking an excursion to Aix sounds like a good one.

I checked the Celebrity site. I don't see an option for just a bus ride to Aix but I do see a bus ride with a guided tour. It's a total of five hours.

Sounds like the one. A number of people on our tour just used the bus for transportation and just met the bus at the end of the day. We went on the tour. We figured the guide would get us to the key places faster than us finding them on our own.

Sounds like the one. A number of people on our tour just used the bus for transportation and just met the bus at the end of the day. We went on the tour. We figured the guide would get us to the key places faster than us finding them on our own.

If you were with the guide on the tour, was the entire time structured? Or did you have any time to wander/shop without the guide.

The guided tour was about an hour and the rest of the time was on our own. The tour was good for orientation and made sure that we got to most of the good photo ops. The area wasn't that large so you could jump off the tour at almost any time and find your way back. It was Sunday so some of the shops were closed but on the main street there were a number of artists displaying their work.

The guided tour was about an hour and the rest of the time was on our own. The tour was good for orientation and made sure that we got to most of the good photo ops. The area wasn't that large so you could jump off the tour at almost any time and find your way back. It was Sunday so some of the shops were closed but on the main street there were a number of artists displaying their work.

That sounds good to me also. Thanks for the details; I appreciate it.

• 1 month later...