New to Cruising, Give Me Your Best Advice and What You Think Of Carnival Breeze

mjmcgove

going on my first cruise in 9 months on carnival breeze, could you all help me out by giving me all the advice you can?:o as well as all you know about Carnival Breeze, like what to watch out for and what to do and so on? I can't wait but i like to be prepared somewhat, not overwhelmed lol

The Breeze is an amazing ship -- my favorite in Carnival's fleet. You have chosen well for a first cruise. There will be a lot to take in on the ship. So much to do, so much to see.

First, let's talk food: On embarkation day, Guy's Burgers is a must! You will thank me later. If the lines for breakfast buffet are too long, Blue Iguana serves breakfast burritos. They also have arepas (shorter line than burritos) and, if I recall, they may have huevos rancheros (but don't quote me on this). There is a breakfast buffet line all the way at the back of the ship on Lido Deck that serves omelets made your way. C-Side Barbeque is good. The Ocean Plaza makes salads your way during lunch, and turns into the Taste Bar at night. The pay to go steakhouse is worth it! Go on the first night, and you get a free bottle of wine with dinner. We also did the Italian restaurant. While it was good, I've had better. Would save my money. Besides, the Italian place serves free lunch (yes, free). Sushi place was also really good. Going on her in a few months and am hoping to try a hot dog (last time I went, my friend wouldn't let me get one -- he was too health conscious). Last, but not least, go to the Red Frog Pub and get some frogs balls.

Entertainment: The shows are awesome. Do the Hasbro gameshow -- you will be laughing. For the comedy shows, plan to show up at least 30 minutes prior to showing or you risk not getting a seat. Happened to us once and we ended up standing. That was fine, though, as the comedian was horrible and we ended up walking out.

Matt Mitchum is probably one of the best, if not the best, cruise directors I have had. He is very engaging and makes the trip a lot more fun. Hope that you have him as I know he is scheduled to be off the ship on vacation.

If you like wine, go to the Library. Self-serve wine!

I cannot give info on any kids activities as I do not have children.

Other stuff: Sun screen is a must! People sometimes forget. Most importantly, relax -- you are on vacation!!!!! Some people can become overwhelmed by the ship and want to do everything. If you miss something, don't worry, you can always go back another time!

If you have any specific questions, let me know as I would be more than happy to answer them for you. Happy cruising!

Edited by FTLCruiseGal

I am considering The breeze for next year. My advice is..... watch many youtube videos, that will give you a general idea where things are located, etc. Gambee has a nice Breeze review with tons of advice, videos, pictures, etc. Just google him as "Cruise with gambee".

I concur with the last two posters, we loved our Breeze cruise this past Feb.

I would say that you have to be intentional about your lunch options if you want to try everything. C-Side BBQ is only on sea days, and the Italian is free at lunch

Luckily for our cruise, Guys was open in the evening as well as they served taco's at the Blue Iguana in the late afternoon, which helped us get everything in.

You will love the Breeze!

I came off the Breeze this past Saturday. This is a nice ship with a lot of food options for lunch. Don't forget to try the Deli for made to order sandwiches and the Mongolian Wok for stir fry. You can go to the MDR for breakfast and there is a brunch on sea days. Activities include dance classes, trivia, venues for entertainment (atrium, Red Frog Pub, Ocean Plaza).

I'll second the Lido floor being slippery. On the second day of my cruise, I asked to speak with a manager or supervisor in the buffet area to voice my comments about the floor. I was told there was no one to speak with. Five minutes later as I was leaving the buffet area heading to the aft elevators, I fell. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt, just sore. I went to guest services to let them know what happened in case the fall turned out worse later in the week. They immediately noted what happened and asked if I wanted to go the medical center. I didn't need to. I also received 2 calls during the week to see if I was all right. Someone is going to be seriously hurt from that floor.

You picked a fabulous ship for your first cruise.

Upon embarkation, scout the entire Lido deck for food choices before you make a decision. Do NOT stop at the first thing that looks good because you'll see someone walk by with something that looks better. (No, I would NEVER speak from experience. :eek:) If you enjoy burgers, Guy's are quite yummy. If a good deli sandwich is your thing, ask for extra meat. Get your sandwich as thick as you want it. Oh, the chocolate chips cookies are amazing - sweet with a slightly salty aftertaste! Yum!!! My favorite food on the Lido is the Tandoor (Indian) which is located all the way aft (back) on the starboard (right) side. I had Tandoor for lunch every day on both Breeze and Magic.

As far as the ship goes, She's beautiful. Check out the Red Frog Pub in the evenings. There was a live musician every night when we sailed. The Pub got more crowded as the week progressed because the performer was so good. Also look in the Fun Times for Pub Quiz Trivia. If you drink alcohol, you have the opportunity to win a beer tube or a fishbowl.

For our first cruise we packed FIVE suitcases for seven days. We didn't realize that we'd be spending most of our time in our bathing suits so we came home with most of our clothes untouched. We now bring two suitcases and pack only four days worth of clothing. (Even for our 13 day cruise.) We re-wear clothes that we wore previously for only a couple of hours. (We do pack lots of clean undies though. :D) If something gets dirty or stained we wash it in the laundry room. When you pack, decide how much times you'll be in bathing suits vs. walking around in clothes.

I'm sure you'll get a lot more info, so enjoy reading.

What ports are you visiting?

I can say you have started at the right place :) I too will be sailing the Breeze for the first time April 2016. I have watched video after video on youtube and of course I have thread after thread here on cruise critic. Be sure after your cruise to post your review for us awaiting our time :)

Currently on the Breeze right now in St.Thomas .

So far this is shaping up to be our best, as a family, cruise ever.

Kids love the new camp ocean, waterworks, and ropes course.

The spa thermal suites my dw and I have enjoyed every day so far. Will be hard to not go on a ship without these items in the future.

Some service has been slow, seaday brunch the most. Mdr so far has been quite good service.

The chef's table was awesome

Its great ship. Too many positives to list them all so I will list the few negatives as its easier since there are less. There is no such thing as a perfect cruise IMHO but the negatives were minor IHO

Negatives--

1. Punchliner brunch, service was agonizingly slow and we were often ignored by servers. Food was ok, when you got it.

2. Punchliner shows. If you want a seat, wait in line for 45 minutes in the hall between the Steakhouse and the line actually goes right through the piano bar. Comedy was great but the venue is too small.

3. Passenger flow. While overall the ship didn't feel any more crowded tan others, there were some flow issues. ie line thought Piano Bar and clogged artery of people by Steakhouse and Comedy club.

4. Worst pizza I have ever had. Its terrible IMHO.

Thats pretty much it for negatives when I was on. The positives were many and I would definitely sail it again.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

Its great ship. Too many positives to list them all so I will list the few negatives as its easier since there are less. There is no such thing as a perfect cruise IMHO but the negatives were minor IHO

Negatives--

1. Punchliner brunch, service was agonizingly slow and we were often ignored by servers. Food was ok, when you got it.

2. Punchliner shows. If you want a seat, wait in line for 45 minutes in the hall between the Steakhouse and the line actually goes right through the piano bar. Comedy was g reat but the venue is too small.

3. Passenger flow. While overall the ship didn't feel any more crowded tan others, there were some flow issues. ie line thought Piano Bar and clogged artery of people by Steakhouse and Comedy club.

4. Worst pizza I have ever had. Its terrible IMHO.

Thats pretty much it for negatives when I was on. The positives were many and I would definitely sail it again.

See I liked the pizza the new thin crust is quite good. Just had a slice, no way the worst ever.

See I liked the pizza the new thin crust is quite good. Just had a slice, no way the worst ever.

Some liked it, some hated it. For me it was definitely the worst pizza I ever had.

To me it was as exciting and as bland as a large Saltine cracker with a scant of cheese and sauce dribbled onto it.

Of course it could vary at times and I just happened to go when the unskilled cook was working it. OP I recommend trying it of course, hopefully it will be good. Like any negative, or positive, go in with the knowledge but understand your experience will vary as well.

Edited to add- I just looked at some recent pics of the pizza. It looks better than what I was served so I guess they canned the pizza guy I had lol.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

going on my first cruise in 9 months on carnival breeze, could you all help me out by giving me all the advice you can?:o as well as all you know about Carnival Breeze, like what to watch out for and what to do and so on? I can't wait but i like to be prepared somewhat, not overwhelmed lol

The Breeze is the newest ship in Carnival's fleet until the Vista comes out next year; the Breeze came out in 2012 (IIRC).

It has by far the most options for inclusive/free dining across the entire Carnival Fleet.

As first-time cruisers a few years ago, we didn't know anything about cruising in general and were hesitant to go in the MDR until we asked the Maitre d'. His exact words were "You don't pay for food anywhere on this ship". This is still true unless you choose a specialty restaurant.

Almost all dining options on the ship are included in the ticket price, and unlimited to boot. The Breeze paid venues are Cucina del Capitano, the Steakhouse and Bonsai Sushi. (CdC is free for lunch and paid for dinner).

The Main Dining Room (MDR) is open for Breakfast and Dinner, not for lunch. During sea days, the MDR has Brunch (separate menu).

MDR dining is like eating in a nice restaurant, ordering off of a menu for a 3-4 course meal, except you don't sign a check in the end. You simply leave when done.

There is no limit on how many items you can order, you can order multiple appetizers, soups, entrees and desserts. Just order them at the same time so the servers don't have to run back and forth. If you don't like something let your server know; most times they themselves will bring you something else.

Elegant night is lobster night, more specifically lobster tail. And people have been known to order 4 or more. They are tiny tails!

The other venues are the main buffet and other specialty venues like Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana Cantina (Mexican), and Tandoor (Indian).

The water slides are a lot of fun with a separate kid's play area.

Plus you have the adults-only Serenity area for lounging and relaxation.

Edited by hirent

Just be careful if you book an extended balcony on Empress Deck. The ext afts next to the end wrap around cabins are much smaller than the other ext afts on Deck 7. They have no sofa are and are a little claustrophobic. The balcony is fine. Overall, loved the Breeze cruise.

How does the Breeze compare to Dream? Are they similar? I'm trying to decide between the two. I'm taking my 18 year old daughter and her friend next summer

The Carnival Dream was the first ship in the Dream Class; the other two are Magic and Breeze. As such the main design of the ships is very similar. However, the Breeze's decor is very different from the other two. Plus it has more dining options. Breeze has highly popular Guy's Burgers & Blue Iguana Cantina which are not available on the Dream & Magic.

For a thorough comparison check them out on Carnival's website.

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-dream.aspx

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-breeze.aspx

Carnival has a great comparison tool here:

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/compare-cruise-ships

Edited by hirent

My two cents....

I went on the Breeze last year and absolutely loved it!!! Unfortunately for me I did the six day and not the eight day, there was so much do do and not enough time to do it. The food for the most part was good, the Steakhouse was superb. The only thing I didn't particularly like was the wings in the Red Pub. Service was excellent. I would book it again in a heartbeat, this time I would try Cucina del Capitano for lunch. Maybe Guy's for lunch although I'm not big on burgers and they have no alternative to beef burgers. I did taste their fries and they were very good. One morning I had their breakfast burrito and that was good as well. The other thing I never got the chance to try was their "Fishbowl".

We had Matt as cruise director and I think he was the best I've ever experienced on Carnival. He was funny and engaging. I hope he'll be there when you sail.

Most importantly, have a good time!! I'm sure you will.

My advice, pack two swim suits. Nothing worse than putting on a wet suit! Pack your clothes and then remove half of them. You will never miss them I promise. Don't worry about matching shoe to every outfit. No one cares. Use sunscreen EVERYWHERE! I burnt the tops of my feet on my first cruise and spent the rest of it limping around in pain.

OP, I am afraid you made a HUGE mistake taking your first cruise on The Breeze. She is the most beautiful, imo, AND the most fun! How can you top that? Every Carnival cruise I have been on has been 'the best' until The Breeze and she really is the best! I wish you had started out small and worked up to her :D. Seriously, I can't imagine a bad cruise and I have been on a couple cruises with 'mishaps' and still had a blast, but the Breeze was just tops, imo. You go expecting to have the time of your life because I sincerely think you will! Like a previous poster said, try as much as you can work in from food to entertainment. But don't forget to just sit and relax and remember just how lucky you are, to be where you are, at that moment. Makes all the heartaches, trials, hardships at home a million miles away for just a little while. Enjoy, fellow cruiser, I suspect cruise #2 will be on your horizon fairly quickly after coming home from the Breeze!