koss78b2

I was looking for Belize

at the Lamanai Mayan Ruins Belize or Xunantunich Mayan

Ruins Excurion which you think is better

For the people who done the Xuan Mayan what did you think

seems price is same with Carnival vs private operate almost

for people who done this one

did Carnival coordinate it ok, enough time at ruins? is this a good excursions

and with Carnival booking are you guaranteed back on boat without missing it? thanks

I was looking for Belize

at the Lamanai Mayan Ruins Belize or Xunantunich Mayan

Ruins Excurion which you think is better

For the people who done the Xuan Mayan what did you think

seems price is same with Carnival vs private operate almost

for people who done this one

did Carnival coordinate it ok, enough time at ruins? is this a good excursions

and with Carnival booking are you guaranteed back on boat without missing it? thanks

I've done Xanantunich with Carnival, long bus ride each way. The ruins are well preserved, large, spaced out over a big area. When I was there several years back, I was able to climb to the top of the large temple pyramid. Very steep stairs with no guardrail then, not for anyone with mobility issues.

I haven't done Lamanai yet, simply because it is also a long ride and Carnival doesn't offer it to my knowledge. At least last I went only independent tours went there.

Avoid the other ruin Carnival offers at Altun Ha, I wasn't impressed at all with the small, poorly repaired structures.

I've done Xuantunich and enjoyed it. Its definitely a long day,'took pretty much our full time in port with the bus ride, lunch and ruins tour. For that reason I would book it thru Carnival so the ship would wait in case of some mishap. We found the ruins quite interesting and did climb to the top of the big one which is something I'm glad I experienced. It's a long, hot day so bring water, sunscreen and bug spray.

I did Lamanai with Princess about 10 years ago. I would definitely not recommend that one on your own. We took a bus for an hour or so to the New River to catch a boat for the hour boat ride to get to the ruins. Too many things could go wrong on that one if you aren't on a ship excursion.

We also went to Xunantunich on a tour via Carnival. We are very glad we did it this way. We were late getting back and the ship was waiting for us and one other group. It was a very good tour even though it was a long day. We would recommend it.

Take extra bottled water from the ship and snacks.

Kev

We did Xunantunich in June and loved it. We don't normally book Carnival excursions but did for this one because it lasts all day and could be late getting back. You have a nice tour of the country and a great lunch too. There were a few tents at the entrance of the ruins selling souvenirs, so I was able to grab a couple things to take home.

thanks guys for the feedback, now i found what to do for belize

I personally loved Altun Ha. It felt more authentic than those that are featured tourist spots. We did it a few years back and booked it on our own. Whichever you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy them. Ruins have quite a history.

I personally loved Altun Ha. It felt more authentic than those that are featured tourist spots. We did it a few years back and booked it on our own. Whichever you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy them. Ruins have quite a history.

We really enjoyed Altun Ha too!

Not too long and did not have to worry about time at all and included lunch at a local place to eat.

IMG_5143.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5152.jpg

IMG_5155.jpg

We did Xunantunich in May with Carnival. Very long bus ride if you get car sick! However, we don't regret it! Definitely go through Carnival as you may be late. You can climb all of them pretty much and the views are amazing. You can see Guatemala which I then visited Guatemala a few months later and went to some remote Mayan indigenous people villages. Made it all worth it.

If you plan on climbing the pyramid at Xunantunich, my suggestion is to wear shoes or sandals that are secure on your feet (not flip-flops!) and have a good sole for gripping. The steps are smooth from age, and they are narrow, so it can be tricky to get a good footing. Being burdened with a big bag can be a problem, too, since there aren't any rails or hand-holds on the way up. So having your arms and hands free makes the climb a bit easier by helping you maintain balance. (There is a hand rail for part of the way down.) My sister stayed on the ground, so I left my bag with her while I climbed, but I imagine your guide would do this, too.

Think carefully before starting the climb. If you change your mind part way up, it can be difficult to turn around! It is impressive from the ground, so climbing it isn't necessary to appreciate the structure and its historical significance.

We loved the same - Altun Ha - we did it on a Carnival Excursion that included a boat ride through the rain forest and an authentic stop for lunch. We were even allowed to climb to the top of the tallest ruin. It was awesome.

And yes, we were late arriving back at the docks but Carnival had a represenative and tender waiting

I wonder how many of the posters here saying they loved Altun Ha have been to that ruin and no others?

I can't see someone who has been to a ruined city like Lamanai or Xanantunich would prefer Altun Ha.

And I'm not including Chichen Itza, Coba or Tulum because they aren't available as Belize excursions.

I have done all three Belize ruins and my husband and I have enjoyed each one for the uniqueness of each location.

By the way, we have also toured Tulum and Chichen Itza (back in the day when we could climb the ruins), Coba and all the excursions from Cost Maya.

Each ruin has something special about it.

Next up, Tikal this November (land vacation).

If you plan on climbing the pyramid at Xunantunich, my suggestion is to wear shoes or sandals that are secure on your feet (not flip-flops!) and have a good sole for gripping. The steps are smooth from age, and they are narrow, so it can be tricky to get a good footing. Being burdened with a big bag can be a problem, too, since there aren't any rails or hand-holds on the way up. So having your arms and hands free makes the climb a bit easier by helping you maintain balance. (There is a hand rail for part of the way down.) My sister stayed on the ground, so I left my bag with her while I climbed, but I imagine your guide would do this, too.

Think carefully before starting the climb. If you change your mind part way up, it can be difficult to turn around! It is impressive from the ground, so climbing it isn't necessary to appreciate the structure and its historical significance.

I'm Joanne's wimpy sister who stayed at ground level :D. (A height with nothing to hold on to is the stuff of nightmares for me! And it was really hot; I sought some shade.) From below I was able to appreciate the interesting acoustics the guide had told us about, that the structures around the square were designed to bounce sound so that when the leader spoke from up at the top, all the people gathered below could hear him. When the climbers arrived at the summit, I could hear them talking way more clearly than you'd expect for the distance they were from me.

Edited by carol louise

We have have done all 3 ruins in Belize and in my opinion the Lamanai ruins were the best. Really enjoyed the boat trip up the river and climbing the pyramids. The Howler monkeys were pretty cool and really loud. We made it it back to town with plenty of time to spare.