Who Flies Delta To Catch Their Cruise?

hattack

The last time I used Delta I used my miles. I have not used Delta because they are too expensive and there are no direct flights from CT to FLL. In fact my flight to FLL in October is 227.00 dollars RT. If you can get a better fare from Delta good luck!!!!. The Delta program changes suck that is why I will probably not use Delta anymore. I believe it is based on how much the ticket coast not the number of miles flown to get miles, correct.

Gary.

Edited by Shipbound

Correct...I fly Southwest to my cruises and their revised Rapid Reward program is along the same premise

S.W is the airline I am flying in October for 227.00 dollars RT. My car gets about 34 miles/gal. It is about 2600 miles RT to FL from CT, so if a gal of gas is about $3.50 (an average )it would cost me about 267.00 RT in gas.

Gary

Plus wear and tear on your car. Also, you need to factor in the time it will take you to drive vs fly. Yes, driving will almost always be cheaper if you just look at the gas costs. But I've always factored in the time.

You may also want to look into the train or "auto-train" for getting to Florida.

Steve

We flew Delta from MCI (Kansa City) to FLL on our recent cruise. Delta offered better fares than other airlines. I like Delta for the most part. I didn't use miles this time.

I'm suprised, I flew in there on the 1st this month, and out on the 15th, and southwest was 300 cheaper than delta

Most of my flying is for work and it's usually last minute, expensive tickets. I like the new changes. I'll get extra miles and still be able to maintain Platinum status with them.

I'm surprised to hear about the high Delta fares. At least for those of us in the Orlando/MLB area, Delta is usually the cheapest of the airlines other than crappy Spirit.

for the second year in a row, we are flying Delta, Detroit to Miami, Non stop, they were cheapest and flew into Miami, we are paying 250.00 return each, dont; know if that is to much, i hope not, I did shop around, but found most flights went to FLL , it is done now, we fly in August

I got roundtrip from Columbus, Oh to Miami for under $250. I have their AMEX credit card so no bag fees. Southwest is not cheaper in my neck of the woods. I just used my miles to fly to LAX for $5. Can't beat that!

Kim

What do you think of the 2015 Delta Skymiles Program changes?

The answers of those who fly once or twice a year to catch a domestic cruise will likely be far different from those who fly 100k+ miles per year. I'm almost certain to have a different primary carrier next year, solely due to the SkyPeso changes.

Interestingly, this will be the second time that SM changes have moved me to another carrier. Was quite happy with NW, but got merged back to being a Deltaholic. :mad:

for the second year in a row, we are flying Delta, Detroit to Miami, Non stop, they were cheapest and flew into Miami, we are paying 250.00 return each, dont; know if that is to much, i hope not, I did shop around, but found most flights went to FLL , it is done now, we fly in August

$250 is a good price. As a general rule, anything less than $300 is a good fare lately. You can occasionally find a $200 return ticket (taxes inclusive) but those aren't common like they were a couple of years ago.

We live in South Georgia and fly Delta as much as possible. I have the Skymiles AMEX card. We have flown on USAIR or United when Delta's fares were not competitive.

With USAIR recently joining American Airlines, it is now in the Oneworld system, which for us will likely reduce our use of American.

Delta's skymiles changes are generally not productive for the traveler as they once were. In the future, the miles you accrue due to flying will be more tied to the fare that you paid, rather than the miles flown. You still get miles for the dollars you charge on your card. That is the primary way that I accrue miles.

One change was good. Delta will now allow awards on one-way flights. This means fewer miles to use for a trip if you plan a transatlantic one way to Europe.

I primarily fly Delta too. I think that the changes to the SkyMiles program are a step backwards and will have a negative view from the economy class flyers but a very positive view from the Business/First Class flyers. With the program going to mileage based on the fare paid Delta is just falling in line with other airlines that have already made this switch.

I guess it was just too difficult to keep track of actual miles flown by an aircraft that prompted the change. :rolleyes:

The Delta program changes suck that is why I will probably not use Delta anymore. I believe it is based on how much the ticket coast not the number of miles flown to get miles, correct.

Gary.

You do know that Southwest already has a fare-based reward program and that United's 2015 program will pretty much mirror Delta's don't you? So your only option for a legacy airline is American and it is my guess that they will have a revenue-based system in 2016 or at the latest 2017.

I am also a vacation DL flyer...and usually get not only decent fares but their schedules work out great too..sometimes other factors come into play rather than a few $$'s...Use miles when I can, their companion tickets and use their Amex platinum credit card....Will the changes make me look elsewhere...probably not.

Delta customer here. Haven't flown another airline in over ten years. Living in Atlanta we can get direct flights to so many locations and we also find Delta comparable with the competition. Also have the Amex Sky Miles card.

Edited by cruisingator2

You do know that Southwest already has a fare-based reward program and that United's 2015 program will pretty much mirror Delta's don't you? So your only option for a legacy airline is American and it is my guess that they will have a revenue-based system in 2016 or at the latest 2017.

I think you can put this in stone. As soon as the US and AA merger is complete and it is all just AA (They have already said AAdvantage will be the surviving program) then you can bet you life they will follow suit with DL and UA in their FF programs.

I think you can put this in stone. As soon as the US and AA merger is complete and it is all just AA (They have already said AAdvantage will be the surviving program) then you can bet you life they will follow suit with DL and UA in their FF programs.

I agree. All the airlines are heading in that direction.

The changes for next year look more drastic than they actually are. In fact, it will be easier to use miles for travel and some of the award levels will decrease slightly.

The BIG change will be in achieving and maintaining elite status. Delta's aiming right at the hearts of people who fly frequently for business, typically on their company's nickel. These people book on shorter notice and usually pay higher fares than vacation travelers, and the program will reward them for that by accelerating elite status. People who fly less frequently and/or on budget fares may find it impossible to 'get to gold'.

However, many of the perks previously available to elite travelers only can now be *purchased* as low cost add-ons to the fare by anyone. Preferred seating and priority boarding are examples of these new revenue sources.

Personally, I love one recent change. You can now book any seat on any flight and split your payment between cash and miles at the rate of 10,000 miles equals $100 of your fare. When you do this you automatically also get "Sky Priority" boarding and one free checked bag and it can all be done via the web site.

Personally, I love one recent change. You can now book any seat on any flight and split your payment between cash and miles at the rate of 10,000 miles equals $100 of your fare. When you do this you automatically also get "Sky Priority" boarding and one free checked bag and it can all be done via the web site.

And the bean counters at DL have found another sucker. Yes....just that.

At 10k miles per $100, you are only getting ONE CENT per mile, which is a horrible rate of exchange. You'd do better just getting a cash rebate card which gives more than 1%. As for the boarding and checked bag, those can be obtained for far less.

But it sounds like a great deal, you can use your miles on any flight. Yep, and we'll ding you for that "enhancement".

No thanks. But always appreciate learning that Barnum was right.