Southwest Early Bird

Nadersmom

I know this has been discussed and I've probably read it myself on another thread, but please indulge me as my cruise is only 2 weeks away and I'm starting to get those feelings of "Gosh, I hope I have everything all set up correctly so nothing goes wrong" :o

I've booked SW flights for air travel to N.O. port as well as return flight. On both I've booked Early Bird. So, please assure me ;);) that all i have to do is show up at the airport with my bags, go to curbside luggage check, and get my boarding pass.

A. I do NOT have to check in ahead of time on line correct? SW does that for me 36 hours in advance?

B. I do NOT have to worry about checking in on line before my return flight while I am on the cruise ship. SW will do that for me 36 hours in advance?

C. When I check my bags, will they give me a boarding pass? or do I still have to go to a kiosk my self and enter my confirmation number to get boarding passes?

Again, sorry, I know it's been discussed. My first cruise, and I've only flown like one other time. Feel like there is a tornado in my head right now trying to make sure I have everything taken care of

This link provides details on Early Bird.

http://www.southwest.com/flight/early-bird-retrieve-reservation.html?int=GSUBNAV-AIR-EARLYBIRD&forceNewSession=yes&disc=&ss=0&cid=&companyName=&memberName=

In short, you are guaranteed a position for boarding so you don't have to do anything.

You can print your boarding pass on the ship if you would like or if you don't want to do this you can just do it at the airport either yourself at a kiosk or at the ticket counter. Same for luggage. You can either do it yourself or at the ticket counter.

Keith

A. I do NOT have to check in ahead of time on line correct? SW does that for me 36 hours in advance?

B. I do NOT have to worry about checking in on line before my return flight while I am on the cruise ship. SW will do that for me 36 hours in advance?

Correct for both of these.

I agree with everything the other posters have said. The minor point I wanted to make is that some airports have separate lines for people with boarding passes, vs. people without boarding passes. So, even though you have a confirmed space in the boarding order due to your purchase of Early Bird, you could save yourself a bit of time by having your boarding pass in your hand before you get to the airport. Since you have Early Bird, you can choose to print your boarding pass anytime after it has been issued, the timing is not important.

I agree with everything the other posters have said. The minor point I wanted to make is that some airports have separate lines for people with board passes, vs. people without boarding passes. So, even though you have a confirmed space in the boarding order due to your purchase of Early Bird, you could save yourself a bit of time by having your boarding pass in your hand before you get to the airport. Since you have Early Bird, you can choose to print your boarding pass anytime after it has been issued, the timing is not important.

OK, so maybe I'll print them out before we leave from home for the flight to N.O. Then we can just check bags at curbside check and go thru security, I think :o

But I'll just wait to print them at the airport on the return flight as I really don't want to have to do it on the boat.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

We often use it, since we don't want to check in online exactly 24 hours in advance while traveling. We usually just check-in as usual, since we have bags. Have gotten boarding numbers anywhere from about 24 to 44, obviously varying by how full the flight is and how early we buy the tix. Always beenin Group A, but not necessarly anywhere near the front of the line. Sometimes able to get exit row, sometimes not.

Well, we booked flights the day they opened up the flights for November. Dont remember for certain, but it was months ago. Maybe beginning of June? So I would think that should give us a pretty good spot "in line".

So, again due to my lack of flying experience, where would one suggest to sit on a SW flight? Myself and DH only. Any specific row? Neither of us is tall. I'm only 5'2" and DH is 5'8" tops.

So, again due to my lack of flying experience, where would one suggest to sit on a SW flight? Myself and DH only. Any specific row? Neither of us is tall. I'm only 5'2" and DH is 5'8" tops.

That is up to you, based on what's available when you board. It will be louder in seats near the engines, due to the engine noise. Exit rows will have additional legroom, but can be chillier. Also, exit rows sometimes have the tray table in the armrest, making the seat a bit narrower, and the fit a bit tighter when the tray table is in use, particularly if you are at all heavy. If there are 2 rows of exit row seating, the front row (of the two) generally will not recline. Same with the very back row of the plane. Bulkhead seats have lots of extra legroom, but no underseat storage in front of them, so ALL carry ons, including small personal items, must go overhead during takeoff and landing. Seats near the lavatories have the obvious disadvantages....people often standing right by your seat waiting to go in, potential "aromas" when the lav doors are opened, etc. Also, Southwest flies all 737's which are generally 3 across on each side, so assuming you want to sit together, one of you will be in a middle seat, with a stranger on the other side. Check seat guru.com for specifics.

That is up to you, based on what's available when you board. It will be louder in seats near the engines, due to the engine noise. Exit rows will have additional legroom, but can be chillier. Also, exit rows sometimes have the tray table in the armrest, making the seat a bit narrower, and the fit a bit tighter when the tray table is in use, particularly if you are at all heavy. If there are 2 rows of exit row seating, the front row (of the two) generally will not recline. Same with the very back row of the plane. Bulkhead seats have lots of extra legroom, but no underseat storage in front of them, so ALL carry ons, including small personal items, must go overhead during takeoff and landing. Seats near the lavatories have the obvious disadvantages....people often standing right by your seat waiting to go in, potential "aromas" when the lav doors are opened, etc. Also, Southwest flies all 737's which are generally 3 across on each side, so assuming you want to sit together, one of you will be in a middle seat, with a stranger on the other side. Check seat guru.com for specifics.

Wow! You are just full of info :D Thanks!!!! Now, I just have to figure out where the $ the bulkhed is, the engines are, and the poddy is. LOL

Kidding. While DH is showing those middleage signs of bulk in the belly (wink wink), neither of us are what I would call large people, so no extra room is needed. Just want to be comfortable. I DO, however, get chilly very easily so I now know not to go anywhere near the exit rows. I was thinking maybe somewhere between rows 4 and 8

I'll check out seat guru and see what it says

Thanks again!!!

Wow! You are just full of info :D Thanks!!!! Now, I just have to figure out where the $ the bulkhed is, the engines are, and the poddy is. LOL

Kidding. While DH is showing those middleage signs of bulk in the belly (wink wink), neither of us are what I would call large people, so no extra room is needed. Just want to be comfortable. I DO, however, get chilly very easily so I now know not to go anywhere near the exit rows. I was thinking maybe somewhere between rows 4 and 8

I'll check out seat guru and see what it says

Thanks again!!!

You're very welcome. :)

Oh, also meant to add that if you have a connecting flight, and don't have a long connection time, I'd try to sit nearer the front, so you can exit more quickly, instead of having to wait for the whole blasted plane to exit before you can get off. But if you choose something in rows 4-8 as you mentioned, that wouldn't be a problem.

Well, we booked flights the day they opened up the flights for November. Dont remember for certain, but it was months ago. Maybe beginning of June? So I would think that should give us a pretty good spot "in line".

You will have a good spot. I suspect you will be around number 20 - 30 as frequent fliers get the first spots.

I would sit towards the front so that you can be one of the first off the plane.

Have a great cruise and a great flight.

Keith

Also, Southwest flies all 737's which are generally 3 across on each side
Have yet to find a 737 which is something other than 3-3 in coach.....:D

Otherwise, spot on. Remember the famous quote from Henry Kissinger: “There are only two reasons to sit in the back row of an airplane: either you have diarrhea, or you're anxious to meet people who do”

I once got A60 with Early-Bird. Just wanted to let you know that being at the end of the "A" group can happen!

Thanks! sure hope that doesnt happen. but considering I used the wanna get away fare, A group is still pretty good i guess

Pretty sure I did yes. If it wasnt THE day it opened up, it was the next day. Because I was waiting for like 2 months for it to open up.

I guess you never know on this but the times we have done this the first week or so fares have opened up we have normally been somewhere around 20-30 and even if it is further back you'll be fine.

Keith

Bear in mind that many Southwest flights have one or more stops, so if you're getting on at one of the intermediate stops, there will be people on the airplane before you board. Even the highest "A" may get an exit row.

Bear in mind that many Southwest flights have one or more stops, so if you're getting on at one of the intermediate stops, there will be people on the airplane before you board. Even the highest "A" may get an exit row.

Booked a nonstop flight. My assumption is that it is not just non stop from my departure to my destination, but that my departure is where it would originate if it is a non stop flight.

could that be incorrect?

Booked a nonstop flight. My assumption is that it is not just non stop from my departure to my destination, but that my departure is where it would originate if it is a non stop flight.

could that be incorrect?

Could be incorrect but if you are starting in New Orleans I have a suspicion that very few if any passengers will be already seated.

Either way with priority seating don't worry.

It will be fine.

Keith

could that be incorrect?

Hard to say. The earlier in the day the flight starts, the more chance that your airport is the beginning.

We fly out of St. Louis, and unless we're leaving at 8am or before, it's almost always an intermediate stop, being that it's geographically in the middle of the country.

Hard to say. The earlier in the day the flight starts, the more chance that your airport is the beginning.

We fly out of St. Louis, and unless we're leaving at 8am or before, it's almost always an intermediate stop, being that it's geographically in the middle of the country.

Sheesh, I didnt even think about it that way. When I booked, I specifically picked Non Stop flights. In my "newbieness" ;) I guess I just assumed that meant it was only from chicago to N.O.

Never occurred to me that it may have just meant there were no stops between those two points.

Oh well. it is what it is right? So we'll just go with the flow

Sheesh, I didnt even think about it that way. When I booked, I specifically picked Non Stop flights. In my "newbieness" ;) I guess I just assumed that meant it was only from chicago to N.O.

Never occurred to me that it may have just meant there were no stops between those two points.

Oh well. it is what it is right? So we'll just go with the flow

I think it's not a big deal. There may be a few people on the plane, you might not get the exit row, but you'll still have your pick of seats.

Have yet to find a 737 which is something other than 3-3 in coach.....:D

Otherwise, spot on. Remember the famous quote from Henry Kissinger: “There are only two reasons to sit in the back row of an airplane: either you have diarrhea, or you're anxious to meet people who do”

Me either, but I've learned that as soon as you say "...ALWAYS..." someone will point out the lone exception. And actually, when I double checked on seat guru, I saw where one of the exit rows on one side only had 2 seats. Whether that is a standard configuration or not, I have not idea, as I've only flown WN a couple of times. :)

Keep in mind, A-1 is not the first person to board the plane. There are pre-boards first, and the number of pre-boards can vary. On a recent flight, there were possibly 10, plus the several "one extra" who boarded before A-1.

Archived