I don't know what to do in grand cayman

angel54321

I just contacted Westin for their AI in Grand Cayman and either they are pulling one over on me or there's been a mix-up. They don't have a resort in the Cayman Islands.

They state: We do offer all-inclusive resort passes in Jamaica, Cozumel and Roatan.

Here's their site for anyone interested:

http://www.resortforaday.com/product-p/gtgcwe.htm

$179 for up to 4 people (includes a room for the day)

we are at sea on Christmas day. . . so Grand Cayman Friday, 26 December.

I'm not much a shopper. I collect pins of places I've been for on my backpack and probably buy our yearly Christmas tree ornaments.

Except I got a list of must buy items here from Drew Sailbum

dark chocolate rum liqueur is excellent and we grab that at the airport when flying home or at the store when on a cruise.

Sea salt (great present for my sisters-in-law)

Logwood is a type of native wood with a dense, deeply coloured core. It can be crafted into some visually striking objects. Each tree is unique and the variety of available products can vary. Check out Cayman Logwood Products-father-in-law

Cayman cuisine is often flavoured with fiery Scotch Bonnet peppers (aka habañeros). Pepper Patch produces gourmet pepper jelly, a homemade treat only available in Cayman. It is sold through various gift shops and grocers - brother-in-law

If you are touring the eastern districts you will find Beach Bubbles Cayman out in Bodden Town. They make handmade soaps in a variety of scents. Take home a few bars and let the tropical smells remind you of your cruise when you are back home and the snow is falling-me and two daughters.

Caymanite is a colourful native stone which is shaped into pendants and other jewelry by several local jewelers. You can find examples for sale in several shops in George Town. - me (bought a necklace St. Croix)

Silver Thatch Palm, our national tree. Craftspeople dry the leaves and tear them into long thin slivers which are then woven into many different items.

Speaking of national tree reminded me of...

Here's one more "Only in Cayman" item to add to the list - (Well , two technically) - perfume. Specifically the fragrances Banana Orchid and Fifteen O Three* which were created by a young Caymanian. They are available in several of the perfume shops in George Town. These island-inspired scents will be a nice reminder throughout the year of your tropical cruise vacation.

* The banana orchid is the national flower of Cayman. The year 1503 is the year Columbus discovered the Cayman Islands.

Would you also be able to help with which stores to find the perfume?

• 2 weeks later...
We purchased an island tour on the pier for $20 pp. It took us to see the dolphins (or we could have paid the entrance fee to the turtle farm and did that) the Tortola Rum Factory, Hell, and final stop was 7 mile beach where he dropped us off for a couple of hours at the public portion of the beach and came back to take us back to the ship. Well worth $20 pp.

FYI - We were able to negotiate this for $15pp last week.

Negotiating the tour? How did you do that?

There are people all over the piers with signs that say $20pp to see all these places. We were talking to one person and were hesitant (because we could take the public bus for $20 total for 4 of us round trip). The lady said - "ok, what about if I make it $15 each?" and we opted for the tour.

Stingray City is the island's biggest attraction, and it's our must-do every trip. There's nothing more awesome than being surrounded by wild stingrays, while standing in waist deep water out in the ocean. This has to be an excursion, though.

We want to do Stingrays again this time, I think. It's been many years since we did it and the kids were pretty young/fearful then. It'll be a different story this time! Since you do this excursion often, do you have some you recommend and some you say to avoid? thanks for sharing your own recs, if you don't mind!

EDITED to add: I remember now that Captain Marvin's is who we went with before and were happy with them. But that was back in 2006/2007, so I imagine things may have changed since then!

Edited by hilltopfamily
addition

OK, so if I am understanding this right, in Grand Cayman, there are people at the piers that have a sign showing what tours they will take you on with the price, right? We are not planning on booking any tours ahead of time, so this would be nice.:)

OK, so if I am understanding this right, in Grand Cayman, there are people at the piers that have a sign showing what tours they will take you on with the price, right? We are not planning on booking any tours ahead of time, so this would be nice.:)

That is correct. Plenty of options for practically everything!

I have been 5 times, I prefer just getting a taxi and going to a resort on 7 mile beach. The name escapes me, $2 to get in they have a pool, bar & grill, wifi, showers. The cab is like $4 each way. I do very few ship based excursions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

FrugalKansan, I am from "Missouri", Kansas City, Gladstone.:)

It is possible someone already answered your question about Hell, but this is what my thinking is. It is a waste of time. A few black rocks, and a small store to sell you things.

This is all interesting to read. We are doing Captain Marvin's stingray and snorkeling tour. We are looking forward to it. We were going to do their turtle farm/Hell excursion as well, but from a time perspective, it wasn't going to work well for us. We wouldn't really have a chance to eat lunch in between, and we'd rather do things at a slower pace. So we stuck with the stingrays, and will have some time after that before heading back to the ship.

We were thinking about getting a bite to eat, and we're wondering what recommendations there may be from those of you who have visited before. Based on previous posts, I am guessing it may be a bit expensive?

Was really excited to book Nativeways Rays, Reefs, Rum Point Excursion (lunch included) 8 months in advance but they were already booked in October so now I'm a bit down on Grand Cayman as that was perfect for us.

Is there anything out there similar to that excursion from another company?

They did counter with the other tour of Starfish, Rays and Snorkeling which is $45 less (for 2) than the other tour and they drop off at 7 mile beach but between having to buy food and drink, transporation back, plus chair/umbrellas its like I'd rather go on the first tour (plus I've been to 7 mile beach already).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if they have a tour that maybe just tours the island, not into snorkeling or swimming with the dolphins. Not interested in going to Hell but would be interested in the historical part of GC. I want to see the countryside and since everybody is saying that there are private tours right outside the pier so was wanting to know if they have such a tour from anyone that has been there numerous times.

Thanks so much;)

This thread has been so helpful!

We would forgo eating because I'm vegetarian and we stuff ourselves for breakfast on the ship then because dinner is late we eat lunch when we get back on board.

This isn't a recommendation; I haven't been there. It's something I found while looking at things to do/see/eat in GC. It's a vegetarian place called Bread&Chocolate: http://www.cafe.ky/

It seems to be open, perhaps a bit new? The menu sounds delicious.

We're vegetarian, too, and the menu on there seems to actually be vegan, so that's even better. :)

I just contacted Westin for their AI in Grand Cayman and either they are pulling one over on me or there's been a mix-up. They don't have a resort in the Cayman Islands.

They don't have a resort? http://www.westingrandcayman.com/

I read...here? another thread?...that they don't have a day pass sort of thing, that the minimal is to just book a room and use their facilities...but they do seem to have a resort. :)

I went to Paradise Beach... the cab ride was $15 and it was $3 admission. Wifi is good and drinks are priced fairly. Very clean restrooms, changing rooms, showers, nice pool. The bar specials are much better deal than the menu drinks.

Paradise Beach? Where in Grand Cayman is that?

• 9 months later...
Rumor had it there was one, but I never read anything about it after the people were supposed to go! Sounds like a great business venture to me!

Dunno if this has already been linked, but there's this if you have a min of 10 in your party

https://www.discountexcursions.com/grandcayman/cruise-excursion-grand-cayman-party-bus-tour

Been to GC twice and will likely do it one more time someday. Not a favorite port, but plenty to do.

First time we wandered inland and hiked, geocached and ate and ate at Seymours and Tony;'s Jerk Shacks for chicken, mannish water etc..

Last time we had our daughter who was 8 and did the turtle farm, could have spent all day there, Hiking trail, aviary, swam in the pool with the waterfalls and slide, then swam with the turtles, then checked out and held all the turtles, then ate some turtle etc.. On the way back we stopped at a street venbder for some stewed cowsfoot which was awesome.

I still need to tour the Caybrew Brewery and visit historic Pedro St. James some day. Then my GC plans are done.

I didn't know about the brewery, thanks!