Drive from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale

HMC RET

Due to flights being expensive, we are looking to fly to Orlando and drive to Fort Lauderdale and after our cruise is over, reverse the drive. We would have a couple days before and after cruise so timing isn't an issue. Has anyone ever done this and is it an easy trip? We are coming in from norfolk Virginia if it matters

Thanks

The trip is an easy one. You take I-4 out of Orlando south to The Florida Turnpike which takes you to FLL. If you dont mind traffic in the FLL- Miami area, you can jump on to I-95 at FT. PIerce and save some toll money

It's an incredibly easy trip, I make it regularly for business. I honestly don't think the traffic around Fort Lauderdale is that bad, it's when you get closer to Miami that the drivers get crazy.

The turnpike/95 is the shortest route. However, if you have time, you might want to travel down A1A for a while and enjoy the ocean drive. It will take you longer, but it is lovely. You can find a few local seafood places on the way and stop for lunch. I don't recommend doing this on a weekend, but on a week day, it is beautiful.

The drive between Orlando and Fort Lauderdale is simple. Usually it takes approximately three and a half hours to do the two hundred twenty five mile trip. The fastest way is the Florida Turnpike south to the Fort Pierce exit #152 and then a simple switch over to Interstate 95. A few times my family left the Orlando area by traveling on US 192 east and linking up with Interstate 95 in Melbourne and then continuing south. That trip adds a few miles but you reach Interstate 95 faster and you save on the Florida Turnpike tolls. If you are not any rush its a nice, relaxing trip. The only traffic issues are on Interstate 95 when you reach the West Palm Beach area where traffic tends to build up on the last thirty miles of your trip.

Thanks everyone. I believe mapquest said it is about 3 to 3.5 hours drive. Is that pretty accurate? Our cruise leaves on a Saturday and we were looking to arrive either Thursday or Friday am in Orlando then drive down

The three and a half hour drive is accurate. If I were you I would spend Thursday night in the Orlando area and then take the drive down on Friday to Fort Lauderdale. Spend the night close to the port and be relaxed and refreshed when you board the ship on Saturday.

The three and a half hour drive is accurate. If I were you I would spend Thursday night in the Orlando area and then take the drive down on Friday to Fort Lauderdale. Spend the night close to the port and be relaxed and refreshed when you board the ship on Saturday.

Good idea. What is the cost of the tolls if anyone knows and is it correct change or do they scan the license plate type of thing

You can usually arrange for electronic tolling through your rental car company. If you have access to a computer you can save a couple of buck$ by purchasing an electronic toll pass at Publix grocery stores and then registering your rental cal license tag on line. Good luck! :)

Good idea. What is the cost of the tolls if anyone knows and is it correct change or do they scan the license plate type of thing

It costs about $15 each way. You can get a more accurate answer online on the turnpike or sunpass toll calculator.

It's a 70 mph speed limit the entire way, and most people do 75+. I make it from my home in three hours and 15 minutes, and I am 30 miles NW of the airport. From the airport it would be three, tops.

• 1 month later...

we might also do this..

i haven't booked our cruise yet - we'll either be on the freedom out of PC or the Allure out of fort lauderdale...

we'll be in disneyworld for a few days before the cruise, so obviously the freedom would be an easier choice.

But i've been lusting after the allure for a while now, so....

we wouldn't be able to leave orlando for fort lauderdale until about 9 PM on saturday night.

So either we'd drive down from 9 to about 1 or 2 AM (i'm sure i won't be doing 70 at night) and stay in a hotel near the port or else get up before dawn on sunday morning and head straight to the port.

i'm not sure which to do or if i'm insane to consider either!! :eek:

we might also do this..

i haven't booked our cruise yet - we'll either be on the freedom out of PC or the Allure out of fort lauderdale...

we'll be in disneyworld for a few days before the cruise, so obviously the freedom would be an easier choice.

But i've been lusting after the allure for a while now, so....

we wouldn't be able to leave orlando for fort lauderdale until about 9 PM on saturday night.

So either we'd drive down from 9 to about 1 or 2 AM (i'm sure i won't be doing 70 at night) and stay in a hotel near the port or else get up before dawn on sunday morning and head straight to the port.

i'm not sure which to do or if i'm insane to consider either!! :eek:

Drive down the morning of the cruise! It's 3.5 hours or so - grab breakfast, get on the road by 7:00 or so and you should be checked in and on the ship enjoying lunch before noon! :D

The trip is an easy one. You take I-4 out of Orlando south to The Florida Turnpike which takes you to FLL. If you dont mind traffic in the FLL- Miami area, you can jump on to I-95 at FT. PIerce and save some toll money

Sorry, but from the airport, you don't go anywhere near I-4.

The airport is on 528 - Beach Line.

Go East on 528 to hit 95 South and take 95 the way, or go west on 528 a few exits to the Turnpike, take it south, as stated.

Either way is an easy trip, it is a matter of preference. I also travel the state on business, and in general, prefer the Turnpike if I have a choice - far fewer big rig and construction trucks, and since you must pay to use, it seems to weed out many (not all ) of crazy bad drivers.

Drive down the morning of the cruise! It's 3.5 hours or so - grab breakfast, get on the road by 7:00 or so and you should be checked in and on the ship enjoying lunch before noon! :D

thanks!

i think that makes sense, though i'm sure i'll want us to be on the road by 5 so that we'll have time to drop the car off.

ok - so where do i drop off the rental car?

i usually rent from alamo...

i checked and there's no one way drop off charge for dropping the car at fort lauderdale airport (after renting it from orlando airport)..

but is there a closer place to drop off the car than fort lauderdale airport?

is there a port drop off? if so, what's it called?

thanks!

i think that makes sense, though i'm sure i'll want us to be on the road by 5 so that we'll have time to drop the car off.

ok - so where do i drop off the rental car?

i usually rent from alamo...

i checked and there's no one way drop off charge for dropping the car at fort lauderdale airport (after renting it from orlando airport)..

but is there a closer place to drop off the car than fort lauderdale airport?

is there a port drop off? if so, what's it called?

Drop at FLL - I think they have a free shuttle to the port; if not a taxi will cost about $15 for th ecab.

On the road by 5:00? :confused: You'll be at FLL by 8:30 and at the port before 9:00 and will then likey wait 60-90 minutes to board -- if you have the late seating in the MDR you might fall asleep and drown in your soup! :p On the road at 7:00 sounds like a better plan to me, but it's your cruise.

Good luck! :)

Drop at FLL - I think they have a free shuttle to the port; if not a taxi will cost about $15 for th ecab.

On the road by 5:00? :confused: You'll be at FLL by 8:30 and at the port before 9:00 and will then likey wait 60-90 minutes to board -- if you have the late seating in the MDR you might fall asleep and drown in your soup! :p On the road at 7:00 sounds like a better plan to me, but it's your cruise.

Good luck! :)

then we'll stop on the road somewhere for coffee (my son-in-law and i are addicted to coffee :) )

i'd rather get an early start and not be stressed....

to give you an idea - for our past cruises, i had us fly into orlando 3 or 4 days before the cruise to be sure we'd be at the cruise in time!!! :eek:

We will be driving from Orlando down to Fort Lauderdale in a rental, are we better off on US 192 TO 95, or should we just pay the rental the use of the sunpass for the turnpike? How much more time will 192 add ? Is it a nice ride ?

Due to flights being expensive, we are looking to fly to Orlando and drive to Fort Lauderdale and after our cruise is over, reverse the drive. We would have a couple days before and after cruise so timing isn't an issue. Has anyone ever done this and is it an easy trip? We are coming in from norfolk Virginia if it matters

Thanks

Hi - I'm a fellow Virginian (Richmond) and sailed Allure of the Seas from Ft. Lauderdale on the 3/17/13 sailing. To save money on airfare, we flew from Richmond to Orlando and drove to Fort Lauderdale. We have done this several times in the past and it always works seamlessly. We use Avis and pick the car up right at the airport. You can book a one-way rental and drop the car off at FLL. Some hotels have free airport shuttles. It works the same way on the return. As far as the route, we always take the turnpike (directions can be downloaded from Mapquest). It's approximately $8 in tolls (could be a little more depending how many times you exit and re-enter.)

If you would like to discuss this further, I can message you my e-mail and or cell number.)

Factor in a total of about 7 hours of driving plus the cost of car rental, tolls, and gas. I don't know how much you are saving by flying into Orlando but give it a thought and see if you are really saving enough to justify all of the above.

on the turnpike, can you pay the tolls in cash as you drive (i.e. are there toll booths along the way)?

or is it an automated only system?

From Orlando to Miami they have toll booths and you can pay cash

Archived